What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would you let your coworkers borrow your brand new iPad 2 to "play"?

King.Khoja

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I get pretty hesitant when someone wants to "see" my ipad 2. Depending on what they are gonna do and if im present or not I usually allow it. Plus most of the people I allow to play with my ipad, I trust so I know there not really gonna look through my personal stuff.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Plainsman said:
"Tell you what— I'll forgive for asking if you forgive me for saying No!"

That's an excellent and most appropriate line for this situation.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"Sorry, I make it a rule not to lend it to other people. But I'll be happy to show you how it works and what it can do."

It's not surprising that your friends and co-workers are curious about the iPad. They may be interested in a game they've heard about (e.g. Angry Birds.) They may not fully understand how the iPad could be used without a keyboard or a mouse. They may just wonder what all the fuss is about.
And not everyone has easy access to a retail outlet where they can try out the iPad. Or perhaps they're not yet ready to consider an actual purchase.

So when I get questions like this, I try to give the person a 5-10 minute tour of the iPad. I show them email, demonstrate the browser, show off a sketching app and perhaps demonstrate playing a tune or a video clip, or access a book/magazine I'm reading to demonstrate its multimedia features. I let them hold it to get an idea of its weight and how it feels in their hands. But I wouldn't think of simply handing them my iPad to use on their own for an extended test ride.

And frankly, I can't quite understand why someone would ask. I've never had anyone ask to use my laptop or take my car for a test drive.

Dee Ashley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.houseofwags.com
Can't blame folks for being curious. I know I asked strangers about their iPhones when I was struggling with my Android never working.

I think it is easy to show off the ipad2 and do the mini tour. But "no" works at letting folks leave the area with my ipad, no way.

bledmunds61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To avoid hurting my co-workers feelings by saying no, I leave my Ipad2 at home. I have spent too much money in purchasing this and having someone to drop it or spill liquid on it and then no one will admit they damaged it.

Nakcol24

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HTMLEgg said:
I'm sure a lot of people are like me, we store sensitive information on our mobile devices.

But my coworkers like to come to me and ask "May I borrow your iPad for a while to play?" It's very frustrating. I feel weird not lend it to them, but who knows what they will do to it. And what if they spill water on it.. aarrghh this one crazy person loves to eat and drink while browsing on my iPad. My heart is always hanging whenever he does that.

So what are your thoughts? If you are thinking "No", what's a polite way to turn them down?

I have had people ask me if it was an iPad and I say yes and then when they ask if they could play around with, I politely say NO. I am not about to take any chances and with my luck some careless person will drop it. My daughter had her iPod Touch less than a week...one of her friends asked to see it and she let her hold it and as soon as she got it, she accidentally dropped it on the concrete. the screen shattered and I ended up having to get it replaced. It's a good thing I had USAA because I would have been out of $99.00 to get it replaced by Apple but luckily USAA covered it.

Sent from my iPad 64G 3G using iPF

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Absolutely no way. If they're interested in 'playing' with an iPad then direct them to the Apple Store, where they've always got plenty on display for customers to try. Many of us depend on our iPads for our living and I'm not about to let anyone threaten my livelihood.

But, then, I would never let anyone drive my car....:D

Tim

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No I would not loan it as some one will drop the iPad.... Issue is most people are cocky about the iPad meaning don't care about your stuff so if you loan it think if it is dropped or damage whom pays.... It is that simple.

Rule number one don't lend the iPad to any one period"...........

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can remember many years ago lending someone an LP from my pristine record collection and it coming back all scratched........that LP probably cost me a lady Godiva so the thought of handing over something that cost me a monkey, hmm, it just ain't going to happen! I need an app which can sense anyone looking too closely at my iPad and then emits a "step away from the iPad, step away from the iPad" warning!

The Archangel

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I love that idea! Step away! Most of the time it's No! Unless it's someone I trust and only when I'm around because there is sensitive stuff on there! I feel bad when my students ask because they genuinely want to see what it does! I demonstrate myself but only if there is time!

sent with love from my iPad on IPF

miao

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How about the informative and direct response. Something like, "You know, an iPad is a very personal device - like a toothbrush or a diary. I'm sure you can understand why I prefer not to share."

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
The simple answer is "No!" and no explanation given... You don't have to explain why you don't want to lend your iPad, your phone, your calculator, or whatever. This "friend" is not asking "Can I see your iPad just a minute?". But he is saying "give me your iPad cause i'm too cheap to get one". It's a bit harsh, but really close to reality...

- saying "Yes, but be careful... " will simply say to others that you are not confident, and they can ask you anything...
- saying "No, because... You know.. Hope you understand..." will simply say that you are not confident, and trying to avoid problems...
- saying "No!". Short and sweet, will show your confidence, give back the guilty felling on the other person, and put them in a dominated state.

This person is not your spouse, your child, a relative... It's just a colleague that happens to share some interest with you in the best case.

And if he comes back to ask, just give him back the monkey... Here's a situation:

Him: can I play with your iPad?
You: No!
Him: Why? I will be careful...
You: You should get your own...
Him: I don't have that kind of money...
You: So...?
Him: please, pretty please...
You: you're pathetic!

Short answer, giving back the monkey...

VicoPad addict!

Nakcol24

iPF Noob