What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

With or Without +Cellular

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Lol. The best thing is customers get to choose and spend less if they'd like.

Thanks to iPad's success because of early adopters, not only have iPads become more price accessible, consumers have more choices among tablets. The low-end Kindle Fire is $139. It's hard to believe it was only April 2010 when iPad kicked things off!

I remember when Amazon announced its first e-ink Kindle and how it cost about 400 bucks in 2007, lol. I still have my original Kindle, which seemed like a gift from the book gods back in the day! Look how far we've come!

If have an original Kindle Fire that has not been on a charger for MONTHS, and it keeps holding a charge. I'm now trying to see just how long this thing can hold a charge. I wonder if the newer ones hold a charge for so long. My regular Kindle reader goes dead in a few weeks (I admittedly don't use it much).

But yes, tech has some a long way in a relatively short time. I like having so many choices too but in truth I think we will suffer for the low prices one day down the road.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If have an original Kindle Fire that has not been on a charger for MONTHS, and it keeps holding a charge. I'm now trying to see just how long this thing can hold a charge. I wonder if the newer ones hold a charge for so long. My regular Kindle reader goes dead in a few weeks (I admittedly don't use it much).

But yes, tech has some a long way in a relatively short time. I like having so many choices too but in truth I think we will suffer for the low prices one day down the road.

That's strange about your Kindle e-ink. Both of mine hold charges for at least a month (admittedly using them rarely because of iDevices). I traded in my original Kindle Fire and have the second generation, which doesn't hold a charge for especially long or short. I have two of the second gen and they seem consistent that way.

I'm still annoyed that it takes relatively long to charge my Air. I no longer have the ability to swap out my SIM card into a backup iPad, because I've given away all my iPads besides iPad 2 and Air, which have incompatible SIM cards.

I think lower prices democratize tech. I don't want tech limited to only upper-income people. But I know what you mean -- commoditization can hurt quality. But Apple seems to be holding the line and still making a lot of money.

whicky1978

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am taking andvantage of At&t's payment plan and I find that the dat is chaeper than a hot spot, i have a two gig plan for my iphone and250 mgb plan for the ipad 5. also, tom tom maps does ot use data bit does use the gps.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
More and more people can afford iPads now because early adopters bought them by the millions. Tech consistently becomes more affordable over time, as more people adopt it, which is why you see dirt-poor people in third world countries using smart phones now, for example. Even when others can't afford higher-end tech, it's good when early adopters and later waves of consumers help build the base, because it takes their money to eventually spread tech to others with less money.

But ipad pricing stayed the same over the years, no?

Sent from my WiFi Only Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using iPF

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Entry point iPad mini is $299 and iPad 2 is $399. When iPad started selling, $499 was entry point.

True, but for $399 you don't get the newest model. It's still $499 for that. ;) Obviously the price doesn't matter, they are selling as many as they can make of these things so the price point must be good.

My vote stays with getting cellular support for the iPad. This is the first time I did and would do it again.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
True, but for $399 you don't get the newest model. It's still $499 for that. ;) Obviously the price doesn't matter, they are selling as many as they can make of these things so the price point must be good.

My vote stays with getting cellular support for the iPad. This is the first time I did and would do it again.

You get an even better ipad each year for the same price despite inflation, that's tech getting cheaper as well. And Apple not only gave millions of people with less money the chance to buy entry point iPads at lower prices, they helped kick off tablets from a bunch of other companies -- that's tablet technology getting cheaper. I'm surprised that people don't recognize that despite my having already pointed that out; a Kindle Fire starts at $139, for example.

As for cellular vs. not, every single iPad I've owned has had cellular, from the first model through my Air. I always buy maximum flexibility, including the most storage available.

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The Air is not the greatest iPad...that would be the mini 2. :)

LOL.. I guess it's personal taste.. I just like a big screen, and portability isn't a big concern. There are rumblings and rumors of a 12.9 inch iPad. I'd buy one of those for sure.... With cellular of course.

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You get an even better ipad each year for the same price despite inflation.

PC laptops used to be like that.. They'd get more power and more features year by year, but for the longest time, the cheapest ones were stuck in the $1000 - $1500 range.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You get an even better ipad each year for the same price despite inflation, that's tech getting cheaper as well. And Apple not only gave millions of people with less money the chance to buy entry point iPads at lower prices, they helped kick off tablets from a bunch of other companies -- that's tablet technology getting cheaper. I'm surprised that people don't recognize that despite my having already pointed that out; a Kindle Fire starts at $139, for example. As for cellular vs. not, every single iPad I've owned has had cellular, from the first model through my Air. I always buy maximum flexibility, including the most storage available.

Yeah, you get more per say with newer models so that make sense. All tech gets cheaper as it goes along, that's pretty normal. Look at how cheap huge flat panels are now.... Kewl! :)

mamoose124

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm thinking of upgrading my iPad 1 to an iPad Air 128 wi-fi +cellular. Currently, in my rural area there is no G4 from Verison, AT&T, etc., so I use hughes.net for my internet service. However, in the future Verison my extent their G4 service in my area. My question is: is it possible to purchase the new iPad with cellular capability but without signing up for a cellular plan until some time in the future.

mamoose124

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I still use my iPad 1 wich I purchased in May of 2011. Still functions like a charm. However, I do a great deal of graphics using graphical software on my iMac and my iPad also a fair amount of photography. I'm finding that the iPad 1 is a bit slow and lacks the internet savey of the newer iPad models; not to mention only 16GB. I'm now looking to purchase an iPad Air 128GB wi-fi + Cellular.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of upgrading my iPad 1 to an iPad Air 128 wi-fi +cellular. Currently, in my rural area there is no G4 from Verison, AT&T, etc., so I use hughes.net for my internet service. However, in the future Verison my extent their G4 service in my area. My question is: is it possible to purchase the new iPad with cellular capability but without signing up for a cellular plan until some time in the future.
You can set up a cellular data plan for your iPad whenever you choose, you don't have to do it when you buy the iPad.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can set up a cellular data plan for your iPad whenever you choose, you don't have to do it when you buy the iPad.

Yep, and in most cases you can change plans anytime, go without one for a while or whatever else. Very flexible and I like that. The more I think about it the more I find that I would always get cell support on my iPads. I don't use it much but when I want it it's SO nice to have.

mamoose124

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad air w/ wi-fi + Celllular

@s2mikey & scifan57: Thanks for your advice. I believe I will purchase the iPad with both wi-fi & cellular. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts