What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will updating iOS remove jail break

bimfi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I probably answered my own question, but just want to verify this. My iPad2 was jail broken running iOS 5.1.1 and I was wondering if I should update to the latest version, then re-jail break? Any recommendations?

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Upgrading can be done on a jailbroken device, not updating. Difference is that updating only patches over the older files. Upgrading is a full wipe of the device and the insertion of a completely new iOS from the base up. Updating a jailbroken device will cause a boot loop or Recovery loop. Restoring is mandatory if you want to remove a jailbreak or upgrade an iOS.

Upgrading to 7.0.4 and jailbreaking is up to you, just note that there's a small window of about 2 and a half weeks for you to decide to do so because 7.1 will be released in early March if not the end of February, and cannot be jailbroken with Evasi0n7. Also note that there's a pretty significant difference between iOS 5 and iOS 7 in terms of functionality and aesthetics. Some of your tweaks that you currently have may or may not work on iOS 7, or, they're incorporated into the stock iOS in some way, shape or form, or there are alternatives.

There's a lot to take into account when upgrading from one threshold to another, especially if it's through a jump as large as iOS 5 to iOS 7. Personally I would say go for it because you'll have access to newer tweaks that are exclusive to iOS 7 as well as some nice additions to the stock OS itself. The default aesthetics doesn't entirely bother me since I theme it with slightly less "fruity" colors as some may put it. Compared to iOS 5, iOS 7 uses quite a bit more resources so you should expect a very slight decrease in performance depending on what you're doing, but it's not something to really fuss over as it's not like comparing an iPad 1 on iOS 4 with an iPad Air in terms of visual differences.

Last edited:
OP
B

bimfi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Upgraded last week from 5.1.1 to 7.0.4 with little to no issues. Jail broke it again and installed most of my original tweaks and apps. Some of the ones I had before will not work with the latest iOS for now. Maybe later. As you stated, there was a slight decrease in performance since the upgrade. I have noticed that the battery life seems to diminish more rapidly now. Don't know if it's the newer version iOS or maybe a tweak or app doing it. I used to have SBSettings which would have a pull down that would allow adjustments to the brightness and wifi and other settings, but that version is not compatible so far. Other than that, I like the updated version of my iOS.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Awesome - glad you like the differences after upgrading and re-jail breaking. For SBSettings, try some Control Center tweaks such as CCSettings and Quick Activator. Although in a different place, now, you can get a lot of toggles, though, I must admit, it's still not the same. Still, good enough-ish. :)

Oh, and now that you've done all that work to upgrade to iOS 7.0.4, I must remind you of the security flaw in the SSL coding on that iOS. So severe, in fact, that Apple has released a new iOS (7.0.6) to fix it. With the old iOS (and iOS 6) having the flaw, there is a much greater potential to being exposed to a "man in the middle" attack. It makes your HTTPS security (the padlock in the URL bar) a lie, in other words.

I tell you all this to HIGHLY recommend this: upgrade to iOS 7.0.6 now. You'd do the same process you just went through to get to iOS 7.0.4. And, 7.0.6 is jail breakable, so you can jail break afterwards.

I know it's a pain, but the possible security implications of this SSL vulnerability is too great to ignore.

Marilyn

Mattmilw

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Upgraded last week from 5.1.1 to 7.0.4 with little to no issues. Jail broke it again and installed most of my original tweaks and apps. Some of the ones I had before will not work with the latest iOS for now. Maybe later. As you stated, there was a slight decrease in performance since the upgrade. I have noticed that the battery life seems to diminish more rapidly now. Don't know if it's the newer version iOS or maybe a tweak or app doing it. I used to have SBSettings which would have a pull down that would allow adjustments to the brightness and wifi and other settings, but that version is not compatible so far. Other than that, I like the updated version of my iOS.

I also made the jump from 5.1.1 to 7.0.4 (then to 7.0.6). You're definitely right, the battery life really took a hit. I also feel it now takes longer to charge. Beyond that, it was getting a bit cranky on 5.1.1, and is now running flawlessly. :)

OP
B

bimfi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Awesome - glad you like the differences after upgrading and re-jail breaking. For SBSettings, try some Control Center tweaks such as CCSettings and Quick Activator. Although in a different place, now, you can get a lot of toggles, though, I must admit, it's still not the same. Still, good enough-ish. :)

Oh, and now that you've done all that work to upgrade to iOS 7.0.4, I must remind you of the security flaw in the SSL coding on that iOS. So severe, in fact, that Apple has released a new iOS (7.0.6) to fix it. With the old iOS (and iOS 6) having the flaw, there is a much greater potential to being exposed to a "man in the middle" attack. It makes your HTTPS security (the padlock in the URL bar) a lie, in other words.

I tell you all this to HIGHLY recommend this: upgrade to iOS 7.0.6 now. You'd do the same process you just went through to get to iOS 7.0.4. And, 7.0.6 is jail breakable, so you can jail break afterwards.

I know it's a pain, but the possible security implications of this SSL vulnerability is too great to ignore.

Marilyn

Thanks for the suggestion. I took the plunge and did as you recommended. I will say that the more frequently that I upgrade and jailbreak, the more proficient I feel I am getting :). I will also say to those that are considering doing this, be careful when you search for the latest version of evasi0n. There are some sites out there that sat they have the latest version, then try to trick you into downloading PC add-ons. Just an FYI.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Glad to see you went ahead and upgraded. Never a bad thing to be fully up-to-date (and to zap bad bugs)!

And yeah, always get the evasi0n7 tools from the official site, which is here: http://evasi0n.com

Marilyn

Most reactions