What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

will there be an external webcam for the ipad 1 in 2012?

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Squeezebox4jazz said:
will there be an external webcam for the ipad 1 in 2012? i incredulous no one has come up with an after market solution for such a glaring omission from ipad1

I cannot see this happening as a webcam would need a power source. The connection to the iPad does not supply power.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
Squeezebox4jazz

Squeezebox4jazz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
3rdphotonsound.com
i would not see a battery or dc powered webcam as an issue or obstacle.. Why is this perceived as an issue?

i have a 64 GB wifi 3G iPad1, and have a lot of programs on it. i would be happy with a web cam solution of any type.

Bill

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know why, we have had other members also hoping for a solution here. I guess if someone did come up with a self powered unit there would still be the problem of having Applications identifying it, which then would involve Developers getting on board. It sounds simple but I'm thinking the 'big picture' is altogether different. Sorry I can't help you.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Squeezebox4jazz said:
i would not see a battery or dc powered webcam as an issue or obstacle.. Why is this perceived as an issue?

i have a 64 GB wifi 3G iPad1, and have a lot of programs on it. i would be happy with a web cam solution of any type.

Bill

Sound to me like you want an iPad 2, honestly.

OP
Squeezebox4jazz

Squeezebox4jazz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
3rdphotonsound.com
I doubt that!

I believe our throw away mentality does not run that deep.

Some enterprising aftermarket company will be only too happy to provide a powered webcam solution for the millions if iPad 1, and itouch users out there...

Still leaving the question on the table.... Doubters should present plausible logic. Low hanging fruit has been explored already.

I love a good decomposition of a problem ...out of which can come a possible solution...

Bill

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You're suggesting that someone will spend research, development, production and marketing time to build an accessory for a device that's no longer made, which an unknown number of people (probably few) would buy. That seems illogical to me, but there have been plenty of failed enterprises built on little logic, and maybe you'll get lucky and someone will build what you want and you can buy one before they go out of business, lol.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You're suggesting that someone will spend research, development, production and marketing time to build an accessory for a device that's no longer made, which an unknown number of people (probably few) would buy. That seems illogical to me, but there have been plenty of failed enterprises built on little logic, and maybe you'll get lucky and someone will build what you want and you can buy one before they go out of business, lol.

I can't stop laughing. I am not a well person today, but now I am better.

Shihid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well I am an iPad 1 user and got I pod touch 2nd gen ..I also need cam..if still no cam in ipad2 then there was a chance , but as they had in advance devices so it seems difficult right now...well I don't think so few will buy..I love my iPad one , no matter what happens, because it's 1st tablet pc for me and world. Many reasons to keep iPad 1 ..if we can have some camera working with blue tooth , I would love to have it .. Any how's it's never ending debate..

robster2644

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had an idea about a year ago and spent a lot of money on trying to develop a helmet camera for the iPhone, I managed to get company in the far east to produce a camera for attachment to the iPhone, however the iPhone would not let me produce a app to support third party attachments. Can't spend anymore money on this, even though I would love too.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I seem to remember reading that there are a pair of programs (Camera A and Camera B, I think they are called) that will turn your iPhone into a camera for the iPad 1. I have no idea whether this is true, but it might be worth a look around the app store.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not knowledgable on this subject at all but I noticed in the app store that there is an app by Panasonic that will control and view a security camera as well as record 30 second segments. Surely if this is possible then using a camera as a webcam isn't too much of a leap......but hey, what do I know!

The Archangel

Most reactions

Latest posts