What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will Apple Release More Updates with iOS 5?

darthluke12694

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Ok so I've have thought of this for awhile now and I'll just ask it on here. As most of us know, in iOS 5, you can now update your iOS via WiFi.

With iOS 4 you had these huge updates which weren't released too often. Do you think with iOS 5 that this will change that? Like do you think that Apple will start releasing a lot of small updates like Windows does? Or do you think it will still be those huge updates that aren't released often?

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, with the new update mechanism you can be assured that minor updates will happen frequently.

-t

Icarus73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the same... with the need of installing a whole firmware from scratch gone, it will make the updates a little bit more frequent but still, using a OSX we don't encounter too many updates. So still I can say that we will have more frequent updates then before but never as frequent as windows updates.

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the same... with the need of installing a whole firmware from scratch gone,

So is IOS5 different from previous versions then? (Speaking as a person who has not tried the beta and isn't overly Mac aware). Unless the whole basic system is different I can't see why being able to update via wifi as opposed to tethered would change the frequency of updates.
I would also hope that with the cost of wifi as opposed to tethered data (outside the USA at least) Apple will at least give people the option of how to download updates of all kinds including apps as they become available rather than simply assuming that everybody wants to update instantly regardless of how they are connected to the Internet at that point in time.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The reason updates will be more frequent in iOS 5 is the update mechanism is now capable of making small, differential updates and you no longer need to update the entire OS. This means patches, bug fixes and even new features can be made available in small updates without having to download for 4 hours.... Apple will certainly use this to their advantage to keep iOS devices out in front of their competition

It will certainly be configurable, as the over the air sync between devices is today - though not as configurable as some people will like...

-t

Most reactions

Latest posts