What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 5.0.1

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
s2mikey said:
OK so - for those of us that did NOT upgrade to iOS 5.0, is this latest version the "one" we should get? Im ready to make the jump, I just hate messing with things that work perfectly which my unit does right now. :)

This is the only one you can get, 5.0 is now closed. Up to you, but unless you're JB, what have you got to lose. There's a lot of new features just waiting for you.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is the only one you can get, 5.0 is now closed. Up to you, but unless you're JB, what have you got to lose. There's a lot of new features just waiting for you.

I probably dont have anything to lose, but plenty of people had some funny issues with the initital release of OS 5 so I didnt want to mess up my good-working unit. Ill probably grab this later today then. * KEEPS FINGERS CROSSED THAT IT ALL GOES WELL * ;)

afc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just updated both ipad2 and iPhone4...did it with the devices connected by USB to iTunes. Was a smooth process but can't understand why was the file downloaded twice? And also didn't get why is a MINOR update over 760Mb?????????

let's see how it works now...!

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When you connect via iTunes you in fact are installing a complete version not incremental that is why file size is much bigger. If you have several devices ios5 is also different

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I probably dont have anything to lose, but plenty of people had some funny issues with the initital release of OS 5 so I didnt want to mess up my good-working unit. Ill probably grab this later today then. * KEEPS FINGERS CROSSED THAT IT ALL GOES WELL * ;)

If you're not already on iOS 5, I'd suggest backing up anything that you can't afford to lose before you upgrade. I didn't bother when upgrading to 5.0.1 from 5, but that was an incremental update aimed mostly at fixing battery drain.

If you have files in apps, email or photos, those are worth backing up separately from the iTunes backup, because that's what people tended to lose despite using the standard iTunes backup when upgrading to 5.

afc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
col.bris said:
When you connect via iTunes you in fact are installing a complete version not incremental that is why file size is much bigger. If you have several devices ios5 is also different

Yes both are on iOS5...Tkx for the info...didn't know that via iTunes it installed the full version...

Still don't get why is it dowloaded twice but anyway...

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Each device uses a different version of ios5 when installing via iTunes. All up there are about 10 versions to cover iPads, iPhones and iPod's An example is a iPad wifi only and a iPad wifi 3G. OTA upgrades detect the device so it does not matter as you as a end user would not know if it is different or not.

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do I need to back up before I update to 5.0.1? I assume not, since it's a minor update, but I wanted to make sure I wouldn't lose stuff. I haven't backed up (or wireless sync'ed) since I got iOS 5.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do I need to back up before I update to 5.0.1? I assume not, since it's a minor update, but I wanted to make sure I wouldn't lose stuff. I haven't backed up (or wireless sync'ed) since I got iOS 5.

You should always backup before any update, no matter how minor. It's just good practice. Aren't you backing up to iCloud anyway, or did you choose to use your PC?

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't tried iCloud, but wouldn't it not work because it's only 5 free GB and my iPad is a 16?

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've got photos, documents and books all in iCloud. Anything Apple, I suppose. The apps are backed up for free or have I got it wrong?

Sent from my one and only original iPad using iPF

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh, well in that case.. I wouldn't need to back up anything but apps, really. My iBooks would automatically be backed up in my iTunes account and my iPad photos are worthless. iCloud will come in handy when I get the iPhone 4S to back up contacts, photos, videos, etc. But even then... videos take up a lot of space, and 5GB would vanish quickly.

I'm rambling. But yeah, I'll go and try to back up to iCloud now, before I do the update.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't tried iCloud, but wouldn't it not work because it's only 5 free GB and my iPad is a 16?

Whatever you've purchased from iTunes is already backed up, except for movies. That stuff doesn't count against your free 5GB. Your having a 16 doesn't affect whether you can back up to the cloud.

As for backing up for upgrades, I use my judgment, because I know what I've added since the iOS 5 upgrade, and what I can afford to lose. I use the same judgment when deciding how frequently to back up normally.

Most reactions

Latest posts