What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WIfi or 4g version

I_luv_Apple

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Im unsure whether to get the wifi only version being as I have the iPhone 4s and upgrade each year. As of late I have been using my iPhone hot spot facility for the few occasions I have been without wifi rather than the 3G facility on my Ipad 2. Which do you think I should buy?

NVRENUF

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did same last time only got the wifi version of the ipad 2
This time i ordered it with the 4g,
Data plans are cheap now even prepaid . handy to have or if travelling buy a prepaid data plan for the country you are in.
for the sake of a little extra when buying the ipad you have the option at least.

defiantly worth it id say to have it there just in case.

iluvmyipad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've been pondering the same thing. I have a 3G original iPad, and never actually used the service, because I also have a Mifi. If you use your phone as a hotspot, you can probably get by with the wifi only model.

NVRENUF

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the thing is with the new 4g modual in the ipad and dual band 3g. Data would be much faster having sim in the ipad. I find tethering from the iphone isn't
very fast.

iluvmyipad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oh, ok. I've never tethered from my iPhone, because I would loose my unlimited plan.
In that case you probably should get the 4g model : )

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
NVRENUF said:
I did same last time only got the wifi version of the ipad 2
This time i ordered it with the 4g,
Data plans are cheap now even prepaid . handy to have or if travelling buy a prepaid data plan for the country you are in.
for the sake of a little extra when buying the ipad you have the option at least.

defiantly worth it id say to have it there just in case.

Data plans are the same price as they always were. In fact more expensive w o unlimited plans - at least in the US.

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 With IOS 5.1Update From NYC!!! using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm getting a 4G model this time around.

It's a matter of convenience, not necessity. Using the iPhone 4 hotspot works well enough. I just don't want to bother with it. Also, I really want a GPS back in my iPad. I really miss the GPS. I don't 'need' it, mind you, but I miss it.

My first iPad was 3G, so getting the wi-fi (no matter how much financial sense it made at the time) has felt a bit like going on a diet. That BBQ 4G is looking real good.

ooney

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got the wifi model Darn Sprint is not included in the roll out

Sent from my iPad using iPF

invader

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd personally go for the 4g because the whole iPad experience is so much better with Internet you can use just about anywhere.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
GPS alone is worth the price difference. If you can afford the $120 or whatever the exact price is to get 4G it will be worth it. Even if you don't plan on using 4G.

you will have the option for 4G at any time if the reason to use 4G ever comes up (vacation trip?)
GPS is very accurate and this along covers the cost of the upgrade.
Resale value for 3G model will be higher when you want to sell it later.

Last edited:

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I_luv_Apple said:
Why is gps important?[/QUOTE
Inquiring minds want to know

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 With IOS 5.1Update From NYC!!! using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts