What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wi-Fi functionality w/ multiple

bpatterso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello! Working with my first ipad and have been trying to get up to speed on the platform (& iTunes) in general over the last few months for eventual support of anticipated dozens of devices. Glad the forum exists!

If we can get some wrinkles ironed out, we will move to this device as a sales presentation tool.

Biggest concern at this point is getting the ipad to work consistently on our Cisco Wireless Access Points network at each of our corporate offices. To summarize, we have dozens of access points that cover each of our offices, with various VLAN's configured for wireless voice and data. Visitors can access an available guest wi-fi network, with no access to the corporate LAN. For corporate devices, we have a more-secure wi-fi network with access to the corporate LAN. This is what I want to use for the ipad.

I've entered the SSID and WEP key of our wireless network onto the ipad, which it accepted, assigned an IP, and access seems as expected. Seems pretty good, until I depart and then attempt to re-attach to the same network at a later time. Following that, the iPAD seems to want to use my non-secure customer network. When I inspect the Wi-Fi networks, I notice the checkmark bounces back and forth between my secure network, which did work, and the customer network, which I've never told it to use.

Our network engineers aren't seeing this as a network issue, natch. Any thoughts or tips on what the ipad is actually trying to do here?

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
Click on the "non-secure customer network" and then click on the "Forget This Network." It shouldn't try and reconnect to it automatically again.

As to the bouncing, the only time I have seen that was between 2 known networks that have been used and the iPad is that spot where the router signal is being varied by random interference, so it chooses the stronger signal. But with the signal strength varying, it bounces between the strongest signals. This is not an issue with iPad, as I have seen it with laptops as well.

OP
B

bpatterso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Click on the "non-secure customer network" and then click on the "Forget This Network." It shouldn't try and reconnect to it automatically again.

Tried this several times - no change. I wish there was an ability to edit/disable "known" networks.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Are any of the SSIDs the same? The iPad might find that confusing. I know that once I say yes to a McDonnalds WiFi, they all get automatically joined.

OP
B

bpatterso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are any of the SSIDs the same? The iPad might find that confusing. I know that once I say yes to a McDonnalds WiFi, they all get automatically joined.

No - different SSID's. The WAP's are dual-band, and configured with separate VLAN's, with each SSID on their own VLAN.

SSID corporate is not broadcast. SSID public is broadcast.

Most reactions