What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dropping Wi-Fi signal

Fabwab

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Please help

Due to a motor accident I have been housebound for some weeks. I have been using my home wireless network to allow me to access the Internet from my I-pad. Recently it has started to drop the connection on a pretty regular basis which is most frustrating. The only way I can get it back on is to go to Setting, then Wi-Fi, then network and then clicking on 'Renew Lease'.

I have tried reinstalling the network and it seems that all is ok with the connection (when it is connected it works fine). The other computers on the network, all wireless, are not experiencing any problems at all. Problem will occur even when I am the only person accessing the network.

Any help would really be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Fabwab

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When it drops the signal, if you go to 'Settings', 'WiFi' can you see the WiFi signal there? Have you got your iPad set up to automatically join 'known networks'?

Tim

andyc12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes it's set to auto join. The signal just disappears and it will say "no mobile data connection available" as it's turned off when I'm at home and then a box comes up listing my router (a new BT home hub) I click connect, and the box comes back up several times. Sometimes it connects other times it asks for the password to be entered.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's strange because, if it's set to auto-join known networks I can't understand why it's asking you if you want to join - it's a known network.

One trick that has helped a number of users is to go to 'Settings', 'WiFi' and tell it to forget all network connections and then enter them again.

Tim

andyc12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Tim, have tried that mate, have reset the iPad, got the auto brightness turned off as suggested on apples site. I have tested with other wireless gadgets and when the iPad has lost it's connection the others have kept connected. Very strange. I love the iPad but as already stated it's very annoying when it keeps loosing the connection. It took 15 mins to write my first post on this thread as it kept bombing out just as I got to click send !

It is a known network and that's what I find strange, why would it ask to enter the password 3 times in the space of 20 mins !

Cheers
Andy

Last edited:
OP
F

Fabwab

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim, thanks for the help but, as Andy is finding out nothing seems to sort out this problem. Everything seems to be set up correctly but the fault just keeps returning. New problem that may be connected and which has now occurred twice is that whilst browsing the screen dims and whilst you can change sites you can neither expand the page size nor will any of the links work. The only way you can get it back is to click on the reset button in settings and then re-assign the network. Annoying

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can tell I'm running out of ideas on this one, but one last thing to try is a reboot - which may clear things out a bit. Switch the iPad off and then press and hold the Power and Home buttons together until the white Apple logo appears - it takes a time - and then let the iPad reboot. See if that fixes the problem.

Tim

saphire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am having the same problems on Ipads 1 and 2 I am on my laptop using wifi but both ipads won't connect although they are showing as being connected. The Wifi just stopped responding last night I have done full resets on both with no joy.

Last edited:

MisterT01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
You can tell I'm running out of ideas on this one, but one last thing to try is a reboot - which may clear things out a bit. Switch the iPad off and then press and hold the Power and Home buttons together until the white Apple logo appears - it takes a time - and then let the iPad reboot. See if that fixes the problem.

Tim

When you do this do you lose all your data? Is it like restoring factory settings?

dingdong

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same problem here - my iPad 1 suddenly stopped seeing the WiFi even though nothing has changed in the house and all the other computers are still getting a strong signal. Wary of renewing lease, or renewing network settings without first finding out exactly what gets erased. Unfortunately the manual isn't clear on this....which is why I'm here looking for answers!

Gianormo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same problem and have tried the solutions offered. One thing I have noticed is that the problem is particularly bad when my son is using the Internet from his laptop at the same time.

Most reactions