What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why own an iPad

Status
Not open for further replies.

fernbank

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone: I am new to this site and I live in the Uk. Six weeks ago I took the plunge and purchased iPad 2 (16GB 3G). Now I wish I hadn't! I find it a distraction between my iPhone and my PC. My iPad works the same as my PC. My iphone has the same apps and internet abilities. So when should I consult my iPad? I think that unless you are always on the move, iPad 2 is a useless toy. Can anyone persuade me that I am wrong before I sell it? Thank you very much!

Last edited by a moderator:

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What were your initial expectations before deciding to purchase your iPad? I guess that would be my first question back to you. Many of us enjoy our iPads because of portability, ease of use and just plain pleasure. By no means does this replace my desktop. For more advance tasks the desktop or laptop is certainly the one to use over the iPad.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
fernbank said:
Hi everyone: I am new to this site and I live in the Uk. Six weeks ago I took the plunge and purchased iPad 2 (16GB 3G). Now I wish I hadn't! I find it a distraction between my iPhone and my PC. My iPad works the same as my PC. My iphone has the same apps and internet abilities. So when should I consult my iPad? I think that unless you are always on the move, iPad 2 is a useless toy. Can anyone persuade me that I am wrong before I sell it? Thank you very much!

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Yes, as Skimonkey asked what were your expectations and reasons for buying the iPad. Most of us do own a PC or laptop but you will find that we all use our iPads more frequently. The ease of use and speed of being able to access our information, Internet, email and so on makes the iPad a very useful device. I also have an iPhone, but the size of it did not make it an enjoyable experience for completing these tasks. The portability of the iPad again is such a huge drawcard. I notice you have 3G as do I and I use my iPad for GPS navigation quite frequently, I've also just been on an overseas trip and the size of the iPad was a plus, much more lighter and convenient than lugging a laptop with me. Airport security was a breeze, storage of my photos and videos was just brilliant and being able to view these is such a nicer experience.

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - Discussion Forum for IPad Users. It is a very simple app to navigate.
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
A very informative thread from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sell it and move on. No product is a good fit for everyone. It's too bad you didn't realize your mistake before the return period.

MoneyGuy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My iPad is one of the best buys ever, and I also ad an iPhone and laptop. How did I ever live without it?

OP
F

fernbank

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your kind concern and replies to my "Why own an iPad?" post on the Forum. My question probably sounded naive but I genuinely believe the iPad serves as a distraction rather than a help between a PC and an iPhone. However, such is your enthusiasm for the iPad I have decided to do my best to come to terms with it! Yes - I probably should have done more research but I was swayed, I must admit, by all the rave notices about the gadget. Life with an iPad did not start well either: in syncing with iTunes I found my brand new iPad loaded with nearly 6,000 surplus family photographs from my PC which I had not had time to sort out. Then I found I could not delete individual pictures on my iPad. How silly? Eventually I found a way of deleting the whole 6,000. Furthermore, on Sky Sport, an App which I use a lot, none of the videos will play because Apple apparently does not support an upgraded version of Flash Player. Nobody tells you that before you lay out £500 for the iPad purchase. Neither do I agree with those of you who say it is a very portable item. It is not. It is better than lugging a laptop around, granted, but it can't be slipped neatly into a jacket or coat pocket like the iPhone. It is heavy and a very noticeable target for muggers. Finally, iCloud is the most confusing piece of software I have ever come across. It drains your PC of every item of info, pushes it around you know not where, and leaves the iPad novice like myself utterly confused and ready to throw the gadget out of the window! But have no fear, I will persist and conquer (I hope) because it is indeed a fascinating piece of equipment. Thank for hearing me. Regards to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts