What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why does iPhoto open when I sync my iPad?

jaybee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Every time I connect my iPad to my Mac (OS 10.6.2), iPhoto opens. I do have some photos in the iPad which were loaded from iPhoto. But since loading them I have unchecked the "sync photos from iPhoto" box in the iPad's preferences screen. Still iPhoto opens. What is causing this, and how can I stop it?

Elminster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is more because that is what mac os does when it comes across a storage device with photos. You could try turning that behaviour off but then if you plug in a camera then iphotos won't open either. Ihavent tested this but I guess this is expected behaviour?

Johan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.johanfoto.com
Just a guess: do you have the camera connection kit and did you ever download photos from a camera to the iPad? If so, that probably explains it.

york2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To stop any camera opening iPhoto:

Go to Preferences (in iPhoto)
Select the General option (at the top)
On the Connecting Camera opens option, select no application

OP
J

jaybee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks!

I followed York's suggestion and it worked. Since I download pictures from a camera much less frequently than I sync the iPad, I'm going to leave it this way.

ArthurIhde

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To stop any camera opening iPhoto:

Go to Preferences (in iPhoto)
Select the General option (at the top)
On the Connecting Camera opens option, select no application

that is the correct answer!

Johan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.johanfoto.com
I followed York's suggestion and it worked. Since I download pictures from a camera much less frequently than I sync the iPad, I'm going to leave it this way.

There is a better way, actually. Open 'Image Capture'. In this application you can set the preference per device, so you can tell iPhoto to open when your real camera is connected, and iTunes when the iPad is connected. You do need Snow Leopard for that, it doesn't work in Leopard.

OP
J

jaybee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Johan. I do have Snow Leopard, and that is a better solution.

tclops

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have this happen as well, I've traced it to the fact that I have photos in the 'saved photos' album, usually as a result of saving pics. I usually try to keep it clear of pics by moving them to different albums, which keeps iPhoto closed when syncing.

I've looked for the option to not fire up iPhoto when a camera is connected, but didn't have any luck. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try.

Most reactions

Latest posts