What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPhone Configuration Utility for installing iPhoto on iPad 1

titusc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, have read the following article and a few vids on You Tube for installing iPhoto on iPad 1 via the iPhone Configuration Utility.
How To: Install iPhoto On Your First-Generation iPad -- AppAdvice

Unfortunately, I have countered some issues. Any idea how I can get this to work? Do I need to create a configuration profile first?

Trial 1
This is pretty much an attempt to follow the guide.

Step 1 Install the app to the utility
Clicking the Add button loads up a window for me to choose the folder in which the iPhoto is downloaded to, but it doesn't allow me to select the actual iPhoto app.
iPhoneConfigurationUtility1.jpg

To overcome this, I dragged and dropped the iPhoto app into the Applications section. After a minute or so of processing, I can see it appearing and is associated with a device (as shown in "Track installation of iPhoto").
iPhoneConfigurationUtility2.jpg

Step 2 Install the app from the utility to iPad
After connecting the iPad, I'm supposed to be able to find the added iPhoto app, in the Device -> Applications area with which I can click on the button "Install". However, I am only able to see a list of installed apps and not the new iPhoto app.
iPhoneConfigurationUtility3.jpg

Trial 2
Since the above doesn't work, I tried to do it again the following way.

Step 1 Install the app to the utility

Click on Device name, Add, and select the iPhoto app as circled in the screen shot below.
iPhoneConfigurationUtility4.jpg

After this, the same result appears as before.
iPhoneConfigurationUtility2.jpg

Step 2 Install the app from the utility to iPad
Same result as Trial 1, I'm unable to find the iPhoto app here.
iPhoneConfigurationUtility3.jpg

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The article you linked to dates from March of this year, months before iOS 6 was released.
The current version of iPhoto requires at least iOS 6. Since the iPad 1 can only be upgraded to iOS 5.1.1, you won't be able to download it unless you have an older version stored in iTunes on your computer.
More importantly, iPhoto was never intended by Apple to run on the iPad 1.

Last edited:
OP
T

titusc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow thanks! No wonder it didn't work! So there are two options:
1) Jail break the iPad 1 to install iOS 6.
2) Get the older iPhoto which requires iOS 5.1.1.

Option 2 is not preferable as that means I can't get the updates for iPhoto. Any issue you see with upgrading the iPad to iOS 6? I understand the Facetime / Camera / Siri features won't work. Do you know if there's an un-thethered version available yet for iOS 6?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
titusc said:
Wow thanks! No wonder it didn't work! So there are two options:
1) Jail break the iPad 1 to install iOS 6.
2) Get the older iPhoto which requires iOS 5.1.1.

Option 2 is not preferable as that means I can't get the updates for iPhoto. Any issue you see with upgrading the iPad to iOS 6? I understand the Facetime / Camera / Siri features won't work. Do you know if there's an un-thethered version available yet for iOS 6?

The iPad 1 can't be upgraded to iOS 6. The most recent iOS version available for the iPad 1 is iOS 5.1.1.

OP
T

titusc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry not even by jail breaking it? If not, any idea how I can get an older version of iPhoto?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
titusc said:
Sorry not even by jail breaking it? If not, any idea how I can get an older version of iPhoto?

Unless you purchased it before it was updated to require iOS 6, and it's in iTunes on your computer, you can't get the earlier version.

Most reactions