What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why an iPad if you have an iPhone?

Tricon7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would definitely enjoy watching Netflix movies on an iPad instead of on my tiny iPhone screen, and doing Facetime between the iPad and iPhone would be great for my family. I'm just curious as to what the reasons some of you got an iPad when you already had an iPhone/smartphone? I'm not much of a computer book-reader and not hugely into games (except Angry Birds!) I'm definitely a big Internet surfer, so a bigger screen for that would be nice.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm afraid I did get an iPad to read books, magazines, newspapers and watch films on. Office docs, drawing, safari, monopoly etc...
My iPhone I use for messaging, phone, music and for 3G as my iPad is wi-fi.

Sent from my one and only original iPad using iPF

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got the iPhone first and after that, I suppose I got the iPad for about one reason... "gotta have it." Then after getting it, I have discovered that it is a great little substitute for a herkin' big Laptop in so many ways. I have started reading again, it takes up way less space in my cramped Motorhome living situation, it's battery lasts longer than the (about) 45 minutes that I get from the laptop now (definately need a new battery for when it's unplugged), my friends and neighbors think it's cool, and way too many other reasons to say. I don't regret getting one for a moment.

sanada

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use my IPad and iphone for different things. So that's why.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have both and don't always take iPad on the go, because of its size. I take my phone everywhere, and of course I still need a phone.

iPhone was my gateway drug to iPad. I fell hard for my first iPhone because of all it could do, but it's puny compared to iPad and isn't nearly as navigable for many things.

iPad is much better for Web surfing and navigation, for writing emails and notes (though I still use a laptop or PC for real writing, even though I have an Apple wireless keyboard for iPad). I use iPad for many other things, including news, Netflix, this forum, Skype and FaceTime, banking and investments, travel and travel planning, shopping, reading and signing documents from work, doing the occasional work presentation. I don't play games.

Reading is my primary pastime, and I read books on iPad for about 1.5 years, till I got my Kindle Fire, which is a more convenient size for me for books, especially on the go. I prefer its weight and size for hours of reading.

bushml

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Vision and large older fingers make typing on my iPhone much more difficult than on my iPad. As mentioned by other posters, I use the phone and iPad for different applications. Although I have mostly the same apps on both devices.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is like when we went from the old CRT televisions to a large screen LCD TV. The change is a shock to most, but then we cannot see how we did without the larger screen. With the large iPad screen, the amount of detail visible is fantastic. I replaced my 4.3" Garmin with my iPad to do navigation in my car. I no longer have to strain to see the information, and thus it helps keep my eyes on the road. To use an iPad, you have to embrace changing how you do things. Each of us are different in our needs, and not all iPad functions will interest us.

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For me, the tiny screen on the iPhone (and other smart phones) makes it tough to enjoy internet browsing.. Viewing images, movies and web pages is MUCH more enjoyable on the larger iPad screen.

OP
T

Tricon7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sure I'll inevitably get one, though it won't be soon due to financial considerations. I'm not sure I want to abandon real-paper books yet. News is fine, but it's not the same as holding an actual book in your hands. I guess books will soon be a thing of the past. :>((

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sure I'll inevitably get one, though it won't be soon due to financial considerations. I'm not sure I want to abandon real-paper books yet. News is fine, but it's not the same as holding an actual book in your hands. I guess books will soon be a thing of the past. :>((

I still read print books, as well as ebooks. It's not like you're signing a blood oath to read one or the other.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Try reading an 8.5 by 11-inch page as PDF on an iPhone.

Try using Nav on an iPhone (after you've seen it in action on an iPad).

Try lecturing from an iPhone.

Try taking a picture on an iPad.

Try putting an iPad in your pocket.

Try making a call on an iPad.

I could go on...

ps...I don't yet have an iPhone...but I plan to get either a 4S or a 5 this year.

Jockscrap

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I had the iPad for a few months before getting an phone which I really wanted after ios5 came out and the iCloud made syncing between devices so easy. I use my iPad mostly at home ( although it goes on holiday with me, and i take it to lectures and meetings) and my iPhone doesn't leave my side. The iPad is fantastic for reading and writing documents, something the iphone is simply too small to do easily with, in my opinion. They both have things they excel at, but the whole syncing thing makes having both a really fantastic tool, and I've never been so organised as my calendars and reminders are with me everywhere.

nade1958

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tricon7 said:
I would definitely enjoy watching Netflix movies on an iPad instead of on my tiny iPhone screen, and doing Facetime between the iPad and iPhone would be great for my family. I'm just curious as to what the reasons some of you got an iPad when you already had an iPhone/smartphone? I'm not much of a computer book-reader and not hugely into games (except Angry Birds!) I'm definitely a big Internet surfer, so a bigger screen for that would be nice.

In a nutshell for me it's a bigger screen, I am 53 and do not want to surf my phone. Apps on iPad so much better ...especially games, im an ab fan as well but really love words w friends my fav one is the catalog spree app.

SONY007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Personally I think we on most part living in denial and the truth of the matter is we are all Ijunkies. Some of us are saying that we prefer the ipad for it's bigger screen compared to the phone for reading and navigation, that's fair enough, so when/if this 8 inch Ipad nano is released the Ijunkies that we are will just walk on by with little interest in such an unnecessary product.!!! :D

Most reactions

Latest posts