What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

i have a problem with people who tell you that the ipad is not a computer

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My nephews are dismissive of my iPad and everything Apple, but then they are into programming games. Their father was the same type of idiot, so they come by it naturally. Add to the fact that they and my sister hate AT&T for no reason at all, we do not see eye to eye.

If anyone was to come up and say some nonsense like that to me, I would just tell them I can get more done on the iPad than a Cray. 10-1 odds they will not even know what a Cray is.

Phantom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.branwenconcepts.com
I would have said that he was very depressed that he did not own such a fine piece of kit. Then I would have told him to Piss Off since he does not have any idea what a computer is.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
"Its disgust at people who have to go out and buy the latest trendy gadget not knowing what it is or what it can do or what the competition offers, frustration at how Apple has become so rich from over-hyped products and irritation by the macevangelists that are constantly going around telling everyone how macs and apple products "just work" and are superior to everything else because they come from the almighty hand of Steve Jobs."

Its the arrogance and contempt of other people expressed in statements such as this that really piss me off.

Virtually all items sold nowadays are "over-hyped" from burgers to cat food. To assume we are all still taken in by modern advertising is insulting, especially as the corollary is that "they" of course are clear eyed and far seeing.....

My little iPad ain't no trendy gadget, it's a sturdy little work horse.

ooooh shiney shiney!
I think you misunderstand me. I love my iPad and I think it lives up to much of the hype. I think Apple has earned a good reputation on good products and deserves a loyal following. I don't assume that everyone who buys these gadgets are like this, just recognizing that a lot of them are. The iPad is very much a trendy gadget, and a sturdy work horse.

I understand people's frustrations though. The macevangelists can be very obnoxious and over the top, bashing everything that competes with apple, regurgitating every talking point from steve jobs' speeches, etc... Those frustrations dont give you a right to be even more obnoxious though. Why cant people just let people buy whatever they like and enjoy it?

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
He's an idiot. Next time say: " are you lost?"

I took mine to our staff meeting today ~ lots were waiting for it too! I cringed as it was passed around then I couldn't take it and got up and ran to it!:D

One of my co-workers said he hates his iPhone now as the screen is too small!

Al Rogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would leave him with the same discomfort he gave you ... by simply lifting my arm and speaking directly into my wrist-watch ... "We have a Code Three Non-Believer at the Starbucks on 5th and Main. Initiate a technology alert. Track and report."

The world gets out of the way of crazy people.

Based on all the answers I read on this post/subject, this is the best answer yet ,the guy would shite his pants.:):)

Al.

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You should of told him to tell the three million other people that own iPads his BS story.

OP
henry2

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would leave him with the same discomfort he gave you ... by simply lifting my arm and speaking directly into my wrist-watch ... "We have a Code Three Non-Believer at the Starbucks on 5th and Main. Initiate a technology alert. Track and report."

i love that answer but i do not wear a wrist watch i would have to use my iphone to do that .. thanks for idea

it just gets me at times about sme of the ideas that people have about the ipad and how it used ..

mcbrew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad is NOT a computer. Computers take a long time to boot up. Computers need to be plugged in, or at least recharged every 3-4 hours. Computers need lots of settings to be played around with before you can connect to a different wifi network. Computers need a $60-$80 monthly payment to connect to G3. Computers need to take up more room. Computers need cooling fans. Computers need lots of USB ports because they are USELESS without lots and lots of wires connected to them.

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad is NOT a computer. Computers take a long time to boot up. Computers need to be plugged in, or at least recharged every 3-4 hours. Computers need lots of settings to be played around with before you can connect to a different wifi network. Computers need a $60-$80 monthly payment to connect to G3. Computers need to take up more room. Computers need cooling fans. Computers need lots of USB ports because they are USELESS without lots and lots of wires connected to them.

You weren't supposed to drink the ENTIRE GLASS of koolaid.

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad is NOT a computer.

Yes it is, just not a fully functional one.

Computers take a long time to boot up.

If 30 seconds is a long time, stop snorting the white powder.

Computers need to be plugged in, or at least recharged every 3-4 hours.

The iPad runs on Magic.

Computers need lots of settings to be played around with before you can connect to a different wifi network.

If 2 clicks of a mouse and typing of a password are "a lot of settings", then I agree.

Computers need a $60-$80 monthly payment to connect to G3.

Wut?

Computers need to take up more room.

Wut?

Computers need cooling fans.

Passive cooling.

Computers need lots of USB ports because they are USELESS without lots and lots of wires connected to them.

The iPad is a computer without USB ports, is it useless? Why do they make a USB connector for the iPad? You do understand that without a computer and "lots of wires" your iPad wouldn't be able to make it past the "sync with itunes" screen, right?

citiboi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Henry, so what if the iPad is not a computer. Regardless of what Steve Jobs would like others to think, the iPad is not meant to replace the laptop or netbook. I would have just told this person politely that I know and that I do have a laptop but there are many advantages that the iPad has over a laptop. With every fault that the iPad has, I can name two that the Win 7 OS has.

Frankly, this person is just envious that you have the iPad and he doesn't.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
What is a computer? Lets check out the definition shall we?
#1A computer is a programmable machine #2 that receives input, #3 stores and manipulates data, and #5 provides output in a useful format.

#1 Check
#2 Check
#3 Check
#4 Check
so really it is in fact a computer. :)
So is your digital watch!!!

Most reactions

Latest posts