What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where should Apple have put the docking plug?

Where should the dock plug be placed?

• Total voters

windycitycouple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it me or does anyone else think Apple screwed up by putting the docking plug on the bottom versus the side? I picture people docking the IPad into a cool speaker base and watching movies/videos, even for pictures the side seems just the "right" way to view the IPad.

What do you think?

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree it would make more sense to be on the side for many reasons...they wanted to stay uniform to the iPhone but since it is such a different device that was a mistake.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Considering I have mine in landscape mode 99.99% of the time, I think the location is perfect. Otherwise I have a cord in my way on the bottom or tugging on the top.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Considering I have mine in landscape mode 99.99% of the time, I think the location is perfect. Otherwise I have a cord in my way on the bottom or tugging on the top.

But you just said it's always in landscape...I can't imagine a need to plug it in while using it unless you are docking a keyboard, which forces you to be portrait. Also a potential speaker dock would also be awkward as it is.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use the Apple Bluetooth keyboard, in landscape. I would never buy the dock that forces you to use it in portrait.

The battery is so good on the device anyhow, I haven't the need to use it while plugged in yet, and I bought it a few days after it came out.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hmm I like it where it is.
Mine usually sits next to my main monitor and I can just see that bit more of a page in portrait.
Guess it depends on how good your eyesight/glasses is/are......
Love dual monitor setups.

Rasputina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is no bottom or side, because you can rotate the ipad and read with any of the sides facing up.

kierandill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree that having it on the short side is inconvenient if you want to use the dock as a stand to rest it on while watching media in landscape mode. Apple screwed up by not making the dock a 2-tiered design that would allow that.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Its a tough question. Maybe both. When on the keyboard dock, for typing, it makes sense to have it in portrait mode. Its also more convenient if you are plugging in the sync cable while leaving the iPad in a portfolio case to have the plug on the short side, bottom (bottom being near the close button).

However, the iPad makes a great photo frame and video player. Both of those functions make sense to have a long side plug. Maybe if the dock would allow you to fold the connector down and use it as a stand and include an optional short cable with a 90deg connector you could run up to the plug while its in landscape.

Although, with the excellent battery life, you dont really have to worry as much about it always being plugged in. Mine only gets plugged in while I'm sleeping.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is no bottom or side, because you can rotate the ipad and read with any of the sides facing up.

You're just arguing to argue now...lol...its pretty obvious the Home button is on the bottom of the unit...the volume rocker is on the side and the power is on the top...as with the iPhone and iPod Touch...while the interface may rotate it does have a top, bottom and side!

Most reactions