What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where in the World

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's the same bridge from a different angle.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,016 KB · Views: 148

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Another hint: it's near my location - the distance is about 20 - 30 km. This should explain which countries are involved.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Austria and Hungary are right.

In 1956, Burgenland already was a part of Austria, which means that Wiener Neudorf wasn't and isn't anywhere near the border.

The photos I posted are from a Wikipedia article in English.

Last edited:

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm. Interesting. Wonder what is. I've crossed the border at that point a couple of times, but a long time ago. Memory fades.

Johanna, are you familiar with the Elvis Park commercial area near Mosonmagyarovar? I've been there lots of times. it can't be far from your location.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nickelsdorf, perhaps? The one I'm asking about is a bit more to the South.

Never heard of it. Or too long ago, and I can't remember it. It's not far away, that's right.
Something completely different: do you think nobody else will read your spoiler, when you write: only for Johanna? :cool:

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's a small bridge over Einserkanal, which partly forms the border between Austria and Hungary.

In 1956, many Hungarians fled to the west using that bridge.

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
James Michener wrote a book about this bridge.
That makes it much easier. Its Bridge Andau connecting Austria and Hungary. If I'm not mistaken you already said the answer for the second part, when you said many people fled to the west, so it is a symbol which is related to the end of the Hungarian Uprising.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is the bridge at Andau, that's true. It was not rebuilt as a symbol for the end of the Hungarian uprising.

Last edited:

cecilrwilliams

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's a small bridge over Einserkanal, which partly forms the border between Austria and Hungary.

In 1956, many Hungarians fled to the west using that bridge.
My mother family is form Hungary. Her mother and father came to USA prior to the start of WWI. Many Great Uncle's, Aunts, etc still in Hungary. Mom married my dad whose family came from Wales. Small world, as The Lord says, we are all one.

Most reactions

Latest posts