What's new
Apple iPad Forum

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is it?-Discussions

OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
31,691
Reaction score
13,635
Location
Regina,Canada
leelai said:
I really love items like this.....they tell a story all their own.

It was very nice they gave her something like that when she retired......your mother certainly deserved it after 35 years of service.

She also received a wristwatch, which I also still have.
 
OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
31,691
Reaction score
13,635
Location
Regina,Canada
leelai said:
Even better....your mother must have been very appreciated!

She certainly was. After she retired, she did a lot of volunteer work with several groups. I think she put in more volunteer hours per week than paid hours before retirement.
 
OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
31,691
Reaction score
13,635
Location
Regina,Canada
In regards to the Frederic Remington Broncho Buster statue in my recent challenge, it's not an original, just a replica. If it was an original, it would be worth more than my house.
 

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Joined
May 1, 2011
Messages
7,532
Reaction score
454
Location
Bromley, Kent
scifan57 said:
In regards to the Frederic Remington Broncho Buster statue in my recent challenge, it's not an original, just a replica. If it was an original, it would be worth more than my house.

That's a nice thought, Scifan. And with sky high insurance premiums to boot ;)

Sent from my iPad using iPF
 
OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
31,691
Reaction score
13,635
Location
Regina,Canada
Congratulations, zstairlessone, for making the 8,000th post in What is it?

image-1277217294.jpg
 
Last edited:

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Joined
Jun 22, 2012
Messages
2,052
Reaction score
440
Location
California
Gosh, I didn't know this thread existed. I've learned a lot from reading it, but am a little fuzzy on the Morris dancers.

Thanks for letting me know (both that the thread is here and 8,000).
 
OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
31,691
Reaction score
13,635
Location
Regina,Canada
zstairlessone said:
Gosh, I didn't know this thread existed. I've learned a lot from reading it, but am a little fuzzy on the Morris dancers.

Thanks for letting me know (both that the thread is here and 8,000).

You're welcome. As to the Morris dancing, try googling the term. Here's a Wikipedia article about it.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morris_dance
 
Last edited:

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Joined
May 1, 2011
Messages
7,532
Reaction score
454
Location
Bromley, Kent
scifan57 said:
I have a windup radio that works in a similar manner.

I won't be able to monitor a challenge at this time so the game is open to any iPF member who wishes to post the next challenge.

The guy who invented the wind up radio, Trevor Bayliss, had a great struggle to get financial backing for his invention.

UK retailers, the banks etc could not see a future for his invention. The radio was eventually brought into production and it's initial market was in Africa where folk in remote areas without electricity benefited from his invention.

His story should be made into a film. Perhaps that has happened.

Excuse me if my post contains errors, but I have written from memory, without resorting to Google, etc :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF
 

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Joined
May 1, 2011
Messages
7,532
Reaction score
454
Location
Bromley, Kent
scifan57 said:
There's a camera on the end of the flexible bit. It shows the image on the screen attached to the handgrip. It could be used in industry to see into confined spaces.

Roy Rob said:
Right on scifan, there are two HD LEDs on the camera end as well to light up where you are looking. Very handy for when you are fishing wires in walls, or working on the car. Not expensive either from Canadian Tire.

<img src="http://www.ipadforums.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=33571"/>

Sorry, I forgot the 'reveal'.

Your turn...

The piece of equipment is also called an endoscope. I have used them from time to time for surveying buildings - checking out cavity walls, spaces in service ducts, under floors etc.

The first endoscope I used was quite chunky. It had batteries mounted around a belt, like weights on a diving belt. The belt was so heavy that I felt decidedly shaky when climbing an extension ladder, wearing the belt, to inspect roof eaves. The model I used had an accessory for attaching a stills camera to photograph what was seen.

Sent from my iPad using iPF
 
OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
31,691
Reaction score
13,635
Location
Regina,Canada
I believe that units like this are used by rescue crews in disasters such as building collapses, mine disasters, etc..
 

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Joined
Jun 22, 2012
Messages
2,052
Reaction score
440
Location
California
We call them bore-scopes and use them to look at cylinder damage and into hydraulic rams to check condition.
 

Roy Rob

iPF Noob
Joined
Nov 21, 2012
Messages
1,148
Reaction score
144
Location
Niagara-on-the-Lake Ontario Canada
Richard Brown said:
The piece of equipment is also called an endoscope. I have used them from time to time for surveying buildings - checking out cavity walls, spaces in service ducts, under floors etc.

The first endoscope I used was quite chunky. It had batteries mounted around a belt, like weights on a diving belt. The belt was so heavy that I felt decidedly shaky when climbing an extension ladder, wearing the belt, to inspect roof eaves. The model I used had an accessory for attaching a stills camera to photograph what was seen.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

scifan57 said:
I believe that units like this are used by rescue crews in disasters such as building collapses, mine disasters, etc..

zstairlessone said:
We call them bore-scopes and use them to look at cylinder damage and into hydraulic rams to check condition.

Yes it is a very useful gadget. Doctors use them too, perhaps that is how it got it's name end-oh-scope..... 8)
 
OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
31,691
Reaction score
13,635
Location
Regina,Canada
Roy Rob said:
Yes it is a very useful gadget. Doctors use them too, perhaps that is how it got it's name end-oh-scope..... 8)

Endoscopes are generally used for looking into the stomach. I also saw a demonstration on TV of a camera the size of a large pill that was swallowed and sent back images as it travelled the entire length of the digestive tract. Very useful for early detection of abnormalities that don't show up on conventional tests.
 

Roy Rob

iPF Noob
Joined
Nov 21, 2012
Messages
1,148
Reaction score
144
Location
Niagara-on-the-Lake Ontario Canada
scifan57 said:
Endoscopes are generally used for looking into the stomach. I also saw a demonstration on TV of a camera the size of a large pill that was swallowed and sent back images as it travelled the entire length of the digestive tract. Very useful for early detection of abnormalities that don't show up on conventional tests.

I think they are used for looking in the 'other' end too sci, which was my point... Lol
 

Most reactions

Latest posts

Top