What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where in the world?-discussions

OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The only problem is that while I was checking out photos for future challenges,I notice that every picture I saw was credited to someone.How do we go about discovering how to use these photos without straying into copyright infringement?

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
I think your earlier suggestions are an excellent way to use pictures in the thread.

The Archangel

Have you checked what google books says about copyright free old text? There may be advice on picture copyright. There are a couple of academic site, such as the Hathai Trust which may contain copyright advice.

The problem of using photos could be checked out via sites, such as floor or ephotozine? Or, check a mainstream library which deals with pictorial stuff, patents, trade marks etc.

Sent from my iPad 1 using iPF - Greetings

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pictures are always a more difficult deal, text is cut and dried, if it's written and the CR owner is still alive then copyright almost certainly exists.....so you write in your own words and issues are generally resolved.

I think Scifan does have a sensible way forwards however, if a photo has a watermark or copyright marked in anyway then it shouldn't be used unless it is clear that permission has been given for free public use......I think just being sensible is the way forwards, if it looks like a dog and smells like a dog, then it's probably a dog.

Remember, anything from Wikipedia, and there is plenty on there can be used with a hyperlink credit.

Common sense should prevail.

The Archangel

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Copy a link to the page should be good enough, cut and paste from the safari URL bar, no more difficult than cutting and pasting an article, if you click on the image and it opens you can copy/paste the URL of the image.

The Archangel

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bear with me for a while. I only have my phone with me and I want to write the leader for the new WitW on my computer.

I've had a chat with AA via PM and will also need to read up on what Gabriel has discovered so I can make the rules clear enough that we don't make this mistake or anything like it in the future.

Once again, thanks to everyone who has contributed to WitW during the past couple of months. The new rules will bring the game back to its original intention which was to be educational as well as fun.

Hope to have it up and running within a couple of hours.

Sent from my iPad 4 HD mini

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is the text for the new WitW thread. Please review it and add comments so that I can make sure everything is adequately covered before I start the thread.

Where in the World is a geographical game based on general knowledge and detective skills. It is open to everyone. Please read this leader carefully before attempting to participate.

General.

The idea of Where in the World is to guess a location based on pictorial and other clues provided by a poster. The poster will be the person who successfully solved the previous challenge. The poster may ask for as much or as little information as he requires, and until all of the information is supplied, the challenge is deemed not to have been solved. The person who supplies the final piece of information will be deemed to have won the challenge.

Rules.

Where in the World operates under two sets of rules.

The first, and most important are the rules governing use of iPadForums.net which can be found here Forum Rules - Apple iPad Forum . All players are, by virtue of their membership of iPadForums, expected to abide by the rules of the forum. Breaches of these rules may lead to action by the moderators and could include expulsion from the forum.
The game also has it's own rules, which follow. WitW rules are interpreted by the adjudicators of the game. At present the adjudicators are Scifan57, AdmiralAdama and 55Julie55. KevinJS is an iPF moderator, and is obliged to operate under slightly different rules to the other adjudicators. In case of perceived conflict between iPF rules and WitW rules, the rules of iPF will prevail.

Any dispute with a decision of a moderator MUST be done via PM with that moderator, never in open forum. Disputes with adjudicators MUST take place in the thread entitled Where in the World - discussions, which all players should bookmark.

Game rules.

1. English is the preferred language for play, although players may supply questions and answers in any language offered by Google Translate.
2. A challenge may be opened for new players only for a period of one hour at the discretion of the poster. After one hour has has elapsed with no attempts to solve it, it will be open to all players.
3. The poster of a challenge must remain available to check the progress of the game. If the challenge appears to have been correctly answered and the poster is offline, the adjudicators will make a decision that the challenge has been solved, and the person who solved the challenge may post the next one. A member may ask an adjudicator to take over the challenge on their behalf if they need to go offline. In this case the answer should be PMed to the adjudicator once agreement has been reached.
4. Pictorial clues must not contain copyright messages or watermarks indicating that they are owned by anyone other than the poster.
5. Answers may not be copied and pasted from any source. All answers must be supplied by the member in his own words.
ANY POST FOUND TO BE IN BREACH OF 4 AND 5 ABOVE WILL BE DELETED, AND THE POSTER MAY BE FOUND TO BE IN BREACH OF iPF RULES
6. Pictures must be clear enough to identify the subject. Blurred images are acceptable only if it is necessary to hide a feature which would render the picture useless for the purpose of the game e.g. the name of a building.
7. Having been informed that a challenge has been solved, the member who solved it has two hours to post the next challenge. If no new challenge has been posted at the end of two hours, any member may post a new challenge.
8. This is a geographical game, not a crossword puzzle. The answer to a challenge should always be a location, plus further information if required.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have started the new thread, exactly as above, but at present it is closed. It will remain closed until we have agreed that the rules as presented are exhaustive.

I have to go out, but if Gabriel1 is satisfied that the new thread conforms to the rules, he can open it and play can proceed. It will start open to AdmiralAdama as he successfully identified the location on the deleted thread.

OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When using photos found on the Internet,should we use hyperlink credits as suggested by Gabriel?

In regards to the adjudicators making a decision about whether or not the challenge has been successfully answered when the poster of the challenge is offline,how much time should we allow before stepping in to verify the answer?

A suggestion would be 1-2 hours if the poster is online and 30 minutes if he is offline.This obviously wouldn't apply if the poster PM'd the answer to another member who is monitoring the challenge on behalf of the poster of the challenge.

Other than that,the rules are clear,concise and not too long.

Last edited:

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll add that to the rules, scifan. I'd still like Gabriel's opinion before we go ahead with a restart. I think we are solid but Gab has much more experience with the rules than I do.

We may come under the US "fair use" laws which will make things easier. I'll have to read up and find out. I assume the forum is a US entity.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've adjusted the rules to reflect scifan's suggestion on time limits. The new thread is ready to go pending Gabriel's approval. It's round about 3:30am in the UK, so we may have to wait a while, but I'd rather wait than get it wrong and have to start again.

I've just thought of another rule we need, and that is to conform to the iPF rule concerning external links. Wikipedia is allowed, blogs and other forums are not. This means that we cannot use photographs from blogs that contain copyright markers of any kind since its against iPF rules to link to such sites.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts