What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where have you been on a boat?

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have been all around the gulf and San Juan islands, the Inside Passage to Alaska, From Costa Rica ,out to Coco's Island in the Pacific, thru the Panama Canal and then around the Carribean.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
From England to Ireland, Denmark, the Netherlands, Belgium and France.
From Spain to Morocco.
From the mainland of Canada to Vancouver Island.

That's about it, I think. Good idea for a thread. I think we have some well traveled sailors among us. This should prove interesting.

OP
squib

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok now I am confused again. Are we having an off topic conversation or is this a new thread that should be connected to the previous conversation or should it stand alone? Time for super moderators to come to the rescue! Also all of you sailors out there....where are you or are you as confused about this as me? Thanks for ANY help sorting this out!

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am quite often up s$^%'s creek without a paddle. Does that count?

I am planning to sail to Narnia in the fall.

OP
squib

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I am quite often up s$^%'s creek without a paddle. Does that count?

I am planning to sail to Narnia in the fall.

Yay..somebody is planning to do something new ( is this new for you ) ? I am happy something is happening! :)

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am or shall I say was a sailor! I crewed on a boat called, "Diamond Girl," with simple tasks many years ago!! :)

There is a great app that I use called, "YellowBrick," that tracks races. I used this quite a bit with several Races around Michigan.

Here's a screen shot of sample race that is going on now...somewhere, not Michigan. We don't have any races now...it's too cold still!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365893068.992757.jpg

OP
squib

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Did you just enter for the racing and excitement of that or did you also do some pleasure sailing?

OP
squib

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hey I just found a site on google called ARC - it has a lot of info, daily logs that are taking place now, a ton of stuff! Thanks Skimonkey for showing me that photo! It might be the one that has just left Britain!

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
We did some half day cruises when we weren't racing. Many of our races were day races only, so I didn't have to worry about taking night shifts or swapping out a bunk other someone else. Since those races, I find I am better off on land than on a boat. My husband is still an avid racer and does quite a few in the summer!!

Here is the current races listed for YellowBrick now:
ry3yzene.jpg

Last edited:
OP
squib

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
WOW that. Is impressive! I learned how to sail ( actually took a course ) when I was going to University. Did little bits here and there, my. Brother had a Sabot and we used to take a picnic lunch, a bottle of wine and just meander around! That was a blast. Then the sailing lessons to belong to some club I didn't care about. I was moving fast and furious because. I had a premonition since I was 3 yrs old that I had better do everything I wanted to by the time I was 30 because at thirty I would either be dead or my life would be so dramatically altered I would never get another chance. My first trip was the summer I graduated from UBC and I went to Greece, just hanging out, did some boating on other people's boats, no effort required! Came home because a war broke out between Greece and Turkey over Cyprus! Got the LAST plane out! All transportation was appropriated for Military use only! So, I came back to Vancouver......next installation when I am not so preoccupied. ot to get back to the boats!!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been from San Diego to Skagway and many points in between, on the west coast, including a trip up the Columbia River to Portland. I've been to Hawaii twice.
On the east coast, I've been from Halifax, around the southern tip of Nova Scotia to the Bay of Fundy, the Annapolis Basin and Digby. I've also travelled from Halifax to Boston, Norfolk, Virginia and Puerto Rico and St. Croix and St. Thomas in the U.S. Virgin Islands.

OP
squib

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've been from San Diego to Skagway and many points in between, on the west coast, including a trip up the Columbia River to Portland. I've been to Hawaii twice.
On the east coast, I've been from Halifax, around the southern tip of Nova Scotia to the Bay of Fundy, the Annapolis Basin and Digby. I've also travelled from Halifax to Boston, Norfolk, Virginia and Puerto Rico and St. Croix and St. Thomas in the U.S. Virgin Islands.

HOLY SMOKES!! That is a LOT of time on a boat! I lived in a houseboat, does that count? It was on a barge and could be and was towed around the lower mainland of BC
Nothing comparable to you. How many different boats were you on? And please, I would love photos if you have them !!!

Everyone is welcome with their experience, however, wherever,and whatever, even surfers! :)

Last edited:
OP
squib

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
So are we were speaking about sail boats or boats/yachts/ships?

Everyone is welcome!! Every kind of experience is welcome! Even surfers etc! Thanks!

Last edited:

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Everyone is welcome!! Every kind of experience is welcome! Thanks!

I forgot one or two.

The Woolwich Ferry across the River Thames. The Merv Hardy, across the Mackenzie in the NWT. Some CalMac thing from the mainland of Scotland to Skye.

OK, three.

Sent from my stock iPad 2

Most reactions

Latest posts