What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPAD2 using it with WIFI when you are not at home ... here is what happened......

cocod2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an IPAD2.. only WIFI not 3G. which is ok.. as I am disabled and don't get out alot..
Today I took my Ipad with me to my doctors office..
I figured I would be able to get into my emails and such there as they have computers.
NOPE.
BUT..... When I went to my emails, facebook and all of the net.. it gave me the name of where I was
example MDCM. (the doctors office) and then asked for a password

does this mean if I would have asked the receptionist for a pasword I would have been able to use it there
in the doctors office????

thank you Coco....

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Most likely, yes, if they would have given you the password, you would have been able to connect.

A lot of places do offer free wifi.. Places like Starbucks and McDonalds. Just for future reference. My iPad is wifi only too.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Most likely, yes, if they would have given you the password, you would have been able to connect.

A lot of places do offer free wifi.. Places like Starbucks and McDonalds. Just for future reference. My iPad is wifi only too.
...and to add to what GoPackGo stated-your local libraries will most likely have free wifi there as well. It's great in a pinch. I used the library quite a bit when I was in graduate school while my home was under construction. Have fun!! :)

OP
C

cocod2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for your responses.. does this mean if a place offers free wifi... then when one is there. you are automatically connected to the net.... ....
I didn't want to ask for a password. not sure if they would have given it to me

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
For the library, when I get onto the net--it opens to their welcome page. Typically that page will give you their login password. Very simple. I believe at Mcdonalds or Panneras-I think you just have to press the agree button in order to access or use their wifi. Doctors office, not so sure--the hospital I work for provides free wifi--once again, the login password is given right on the welcome page.

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are several free wifi scanner apps available. It would probably be useful to get one of those and then use it when you are out to see what is around.

I think it would be unlikely that a doctors office allow free wifi access to their own network purely for security reasons. More likely you just picked up their in house wifi network which you will always see exists but that doesn't mean that it's free or that they will give you access to it. If they were running a free network for patients and visitors it would more likely be named something like "Doctors name - free" and you have picked that one up along with the secure internal network.

Last edited:

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for your responses.. does this mean if a place offers free wifi... then when one is there. you are automatically connected to the net.... ....
I didn't want to ask for a password. not sure if they would have given it to me

As skimonkey noted, there are different procedures depending on the wifi configuration and the policies of the particular network. In your doctor's office the wifi may be a secure network designed just for the use of the staff. On the other hand, they may have no objection to you logging in if you ask. No need to be shy about it. Just say, "I notice you have a wifi network here in the office that requires a password. Is that a private network or would you mind if I used it?"

And as skimonkey says, most places that advertise "free wifi" often enable you to use their network AFTER you've entered a password (or some form of identification like an email address) that you access via your browser. This is typically done to provide some loose control over the use of the network by the public.

Just one word of caution. Public wifi networks are very convenient but they are also VERY vulnerable to hacking. It's a good idea never to do anything on your system that you wouldn't want a stranger to see when connected to one of these networks. That includes such things as conducting internet banking or shopping with a credit card (where you have to enter the cc information.) Others on the same network can often use "key logger" software to capture your kestrokes or even view the web page you're using. No need to be excessively paranoid about it. Just use common sense. If you wouldn't want a stranger to look over your shoulder when you're at an ATM, consider your computer/iPad in the same category.

markbnh1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
While waiting for my elderly mother while she had a $1200 root canal done at her endodontist I asked politely if I could have the password for their wifi network. They said NO! YMMV

Sent from my iPad2 using iPF

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While waiting for my elderly mother while she had a $1200 root canal done at her endodontist I asked politely if I could have the password for their wifi network. They said NO! YMMV

Sent from my iPad2 using iPF

That would be the most likely response, I'd think. Many businesses have wifi networks for their internal use and don't expect it to be made available to anyone else. But there are exceptions.

Most reactions

Latest posts