What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When do I need a computer?

Berghammer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know that I need to connect the iPad to my computer to register the iPad when I first get the iPad and to synch the iPad with iTunes now and again. But ...

If I go to Florida for the entire winter (a tempting thought at the moment), do I need to lug my computer along?

Or if I go home to Germany for six months, do I need to lug my computer along?

I don't have the iPad yet, but the impression I have is that it's pretty self-sufficient.

Oh, and I suppose I need my computer if there is an update to the iPod OS, since I think I read somewhere that OS updates can only be done via iTunes.

Thanks for any answers. :)

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That's about the only times I use mine. i use Dropbox for moving files around so never go into Itunes to do that. However I would back up the Ipad--and if you have issues you won't be able to access your backup without the computer. It might be worthwhile to investigate if Apple stores can accese your backup for you since its stored within Itunes. Or--maybe someone else has an idea about dealing wity only carrying the Ipad without access to your synced computer.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with diane because in my case my Computer is out if action waiting for insurance claim for water damage so I have not used the Mac book for 4 months now. I use alternatives to back up documents etc so if some thing goes wrong I am covered. I am a. Heavy user of the net, plus music photos and games also read newspapers and books. I don't care if I cannot access flash sites as it is a non issue with me. I suggest doing a test run to see how you go however back up every thing before you leave including the main computer. One more thing you may choose to buy an external wifi drive for additional storage.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts