What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's missing from the iPad

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
These are some of the things I have noticed after the last week or so that is wrong with the Apple iPad.

1. Bluetooth devices like my WEP-870 headphones do not auto-reconnect. You have to manually go into settings and hit connect every single time.

2. Wifi is affected by screen brightness.

3. Auto-Brightness basically does nothing.

4. No bluetooth file transfer.

5. No program to use bluetooth to connect the ipad to a computer and act as a keyboard/mouse/remote control, only wifi which requires you to run a server application on the computer.

6. No streaming videos over SMB, I mean seriously Apple, every other device on the planet is capable of this.

7. Shuffle songs is hidden in the iPod player, annoying.

I hope some of these issues can be fixed through programs or modifications, but some of them certainly cannot. Hopefully iOS4 fixes the majority of these issues.

Last edited:

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
More than likely I'll be waiting a few days after the new iOS release before I install it. I'm happy with the iPad as it is so I'm not in a rush to improve it.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Personally the only things troubling me are the annoying WIFI and the fact that exchanging MY pictures via SD is forbidden.

I just love this computer...:p

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
1) The brightness is way too high on the lowest setting
2) Enable the 'upload' button in Safari so I can upload my artwork and photos here and in Facebook
3) iOS 4
4) Camera for Skype and Facetime (I'll buy an accessory, Apple!)

OP
M

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What is most annoying about the ipad is that it is right on the verge of being almost the perfect device, but apple's closed architecture leaves it wanting. If iTunes was cloud based, the bluetooth stack wasn't gimped by apple to begin with, a certain section of the file system was accessible to apps and the video player was able to handle all formats, this device would be unstoppable. Sadly, Apple intentionally cripples their devices so t hat you are forced to use iTunes and use their accessories.

OP
M

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The ability to open it up and add a larger SSD drive

Guarantee that will never happen with the pads, pods or phones.

Idk, I was looking at the teardown of the iPad wifi models on ifixit, and there is an empty space where the 3g radio goes. It would be awesome to somehow shove a thumbdrive or something in there and solder it to the PCB. Its not gonna happen and even if it did no one would risk messing up their ipad, but we can dream can't we?

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
1) Long boot times
2) Annoying Flash ads
3) The need for virus "protection" software
4) Don't have to lug around the weight of a keyboard
5) Bloated OS
6) Having to drive to a store to buy software

Just a few off the top of my head... :)

OP
M

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1) Long boot times
2) Annoying Flash ads
5) Bloated OS

First of all:

1) 30 seconds isn't long, the iPad takes around 20 seconds to boot up from being off.
2) Adblock, every single computer supports this
3) Unless you are an idiot you don't need this.
4) OK?
5) Rather have that then a locked down OS. Can always trim or disable what you don't use.
6) Who does this?

Now for the real question, why do you feel the need to defend the faults of the iPad by pointing to the faults of other devices? It doesn't even make sense. The iPad is not a perfect device, and it almost all stems from Apple intentionally crippling it. It is capable of being absolutely perfect, but Apple gimps it to push Itunes. Instead of trying to be sarcastic and "prove" that the iPad and its flaws are fine because other devices have their own drawbacks, why not suggest fixes to the listed problems or just not comment at all?

Keep this thread on topic.

Last edited:

Mayo7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The auto brightness adjust does work. It just doesn't kick in instantly if that's what people are expecting.

Can you explain how the screen brightness affects the wifi? I'm curious.

RobotRock

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1) Long boot times
2) Annoying Flash ads
5) Bloated OS

First of all:

1) 30 seconds isn't long, the iPad takes around 20 seconds to boot up from being off.
4) OK?
5) Rather have that then a locked down OS. Can always trim or disable what you don't use.
6) Who does this?

Now for the real question, why do you feel the need to defend the faults of the iPad by pointing to the faults of other devices? It doesn't even make sense. The iPad is not a perfect device, and it almost all stems from Apple intentionally crippling it. It is capable of being absolutely perfect, but Apple gimps it to push Itunes. Instead of trying to be sarcastic and "prove" that the iPad and its flaws are fine because other devices have their own drawbacks, why not suggest fixes to the listed problems or just not comment at all?

He's only having a joke, what kind of forum would this be if everything was 100% serious?

I can't think of any disadvantages since I'm still waiting for mine. IMO, Apple could have made it a lot better, with a camera, faster, larger storage etc but are keeping these so they can have multiple generations.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
1) Long boot times
2) Annoying Flash ads
5) Bloated OS

First of all:

4) OK?
6) Who does this?

The topic of the thread reads, things missing from the iPad. I listed some things missing from the iPad. I am sorry they do not meet your approval. I was not defending anything.

Reading some of your post it seems you don't like you iPad very much. Is that why you are so hateful to those that do?

Most reactions