What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's missing from the iPad

OP
M

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The auto brightness adjust does work. It just doesn't kick in instantly if that's what people are expecting.

Can you explain how the screen brightness affects the wifi? I'm curious.

Set your brightness to the lowest setting and your wifi is basically useless unless you are standing on the router. Also some people claim having the quto adjust brightness enabled diminishes wifi.

OP
M

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1) Long boot times
2) Annoying Flash ads
3) The need for virus "protection" software
4) Don't have to lug around the weight of a keyboard
5) Bloated OS
6) Having to drive to a store to buy software

Just a few off the top of my head... :)

First of all:

1) 30 seconds isn't long, the iPad takes around 20 seconds to boot up from being off.
2) Adblock, every single computer supports this
3) Unless you are an idiot you don't need this.
4) OK?
5) Rather have that then a locked down OS. Can always trim or disable what you don't use.
6) Who does this?

Now for the real question, why do you feel the need to defend the faults of the iPad by pointing to the faults of other devices? It doesn't even make sense. The iPad is not a perfect device, and it almost all stems from Apple intentionally crippling it. It is capable of being absolutely perfect, but Apple gimps it to push Itunes. Instead of trying to be sarcastic and "prove" that the iPad and its flaws are fine because other devices have their own drawbacks, why not suggest fixes to the listed problems or just not comment at all?

Keep this thread on topic.

The topic of the thread reads, things missing from the iPad. I listed some things missing from the iPad. I am sorry they do not meet your approval. I was not defending anything.

Reading some of your post it seems you don't like you iPad very much. Is that why you are so hateful to those that do?

I am not hateful towards the iPad. I think its great, but its flaws are very annoying. The flaws would be fine if the device simply was not capable of performing the task I demanded from it. It gets infuriating to know that the device is capable of so much more, but because Apple wants you to buy even more from them, they program in flaws to their device. I am not an Apple fanboy like many people you might see on Apple forums. I don't even like the company really at all. I bought the iPad because its the best tablet on the market. I am not going to pull punches on the device simply because its from Apple. I don't hate the device, I hate the limitations Apple has programed into the device.

Mayo7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The auto brightness adjust does work. It just doesn't kick in instantly if that's what people are expecting.

Set your brightness to the lowest setting and your wifi is basically useless unless you are standing on the router. Also some people claim having the quto adjust brightness enabled diminishes wifi.

That's interesting. I'm not experiencing any of that with my ipad though. I just turned off the wifi, turned the brightness all the way down, turned on the wifi and re-connected to my router which is on a different floor than i am. No connection issues for me. Could be an isolated issue?

OP
M

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score

That's interesting. I'm not experiencing any of that with my ipad though. I just turned off the wifi, turned the brightness all the way down, turned on the wifi and re-connected to my router which is on a different floor than i am. No connection issues for me. Could be an isolated issue?

Walk a little further away from it in your house, where the bars might drop from full down to 2ish, then start launching random apps that use wifi. It was beyond annoying for me today because i forgot that I had the brightness set to the minimum.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My wifi works fine through my house and garden. Never had a problem with it and never even look at the bars.

Remember the iPad is the first generation of a new product. Apple have made loads of decisions regarding what to include exclude.

Because it's so competent we expect more from it than it's designed to do.

Personally I can't wait for the next model.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
My wifi works fine through my house and garden. Never had a problem with it and never even look at the bars.

Remember the iPad is the first generation of a new product. Apple have made loads of decisions regarding what to include exclude.

Because it's so competent we expect more from it than it's designed to do.

Personally I can't wait for the next model.

WIFI great here as well. The issue must be related to some routers, carriers ...etc. My iPad actually get a stronger signal than my current netbook, and as good as my last laptop (sold it).....

And you are also so right when you say "
Because it's so competent we expect more from it than it's designed to do"

The iPad was presented by Steve Jobs and the Apple website as a device to fit between a laptop and a smartphone. It is not intended to be a laptop replacement (even though for many, myself included, it has) but a different kind of product. If the "limitations" were gone, it would be just another tablet PC. The Samsung Q1 had all the things a laptop has, but failed. So did all the other tablet PC's.... It is the uniqueness of the iPad and the iTunes/appstore foundation that have made the iPad an overwhelming success. There have been tablet PC's for years, and there will be many more to come. If someone wants a full laptop without a keyboard, that is what they should purchase. Just like if you want to haul refrigerators you should by a truck, and not a VW Golf......both are motor driven vehicles, but for different needs and markets.....You could buy the Golf, and then complain that if it just had a truck bed it would be great, but as it is it is so limited... but so much better to just buy the product to fit your needs....

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am not hateful towards the iPad. I think its great, but its flaws are very annoying. The flaws would be fine if the device simply was not capable of performing the task I demanded from it. It gets infuriating to know that the device is capable of so much more, but because Apple wants you to buy even more from them, they program in flaws to their device. I am not an Apple fanboy like many people you might see on Apple forums. I don't even like the company really at all. I bought the iPad because its the best tablet on the market. I am not going to pull punches on the device simply because its from Apple. I don't hate the device, I hate the limitations Apple has programed into the device.

But didn't you know any of this BEFORE you bought your iPad? You went ahead and bought one anyway, but obviously its not the best tablet device on the market... FOR YOU! You have DEMANDS of a product and it just isn't going to happen with the iPad. Face it, you bought the wrong solution to your problems.

I am sure that Apple could have designed whatever features into this product they wanted. The iPad isn't just a piece of hardware, it is now a major piece of their marketing inventory. They designed exactly what they wanted and it does exactly what they want it to do.

There is no altruistic underlying motive as to what Apple's objectives are. They are not out to cure cancer, feed starving masses of people, solve the issues between Israel and the Palestinians, find Osama bin Laden or stop the oil leak from destroying the homes and businesses and lives of people along the Gulf of Mexico.

You said it yourself so it should not come as a shock to you that their objective is purely simple... to make money for their stockholders... and right now, they are doing a very good job for their stockholders, wouldn't you say?

Last edited:

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I set my brightness to it's lowest and see no effect on my WiFi. I'm fortunate to have a beautfull city park with running straeam across the street from my home. Every evening me and my iPad kick back in our favorite resting spot, about 300 feet from my router, and my iPads WiFi has never failed. Brightness all the way up or all the way down. If I get any further from this sweet spot then my iPad looses signal regardless of brightness setting.

Two items I wished iPad offered

1. SD card reader
2. USB

and a front camera would be nice

OP
M

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score

But didn't you know any of this BEFORE you bought your iPad? You went ahead and bought one anyway, but obviously its not the best tablet device on the market... FOR YOU! You have DEMANDS of a product and it just isn't going to happen with the iPad. Face it, you bought the wrong solution to your problems.

I am sure that Apple could have designed whatever features into this product they wanted. The iPad isn't just a piece of hardware, it is now a major piece of their marketing inventory. They designed exactly what they wanted and it does exactly what they want it to do.

There is no altruistic underlying motive as to what Apple's objectives are. They are not out to cure cancer, feed starving masses of people, solve the issues between Israel and the Palestinians, find Osama bin Laden or stop the oil leak from destroying the homes and businesses and lives of people along the Gulf of Mexico.

You said it yourself so it should not come as a shock to you that their objective is purely simple... to make money for their stockholders... and right now, they are doing a very good job for their stockholders, wouldn't you say?

I bought the iPad because it was the only tablet solution on the market that was viable for me. I really want a good competent Android tablet, and if one comes along I will have to compare it heavily to the iPad and decide whether I should sell the iPad or not. The iPad has surprised me with its functionality, but again, it should be capable of much more, but Apple crippled it to push Itunes. I don't think bluetooth file transfer is on the same level as curing cancer. I don't think streaming from network shares is akin to fixing the Israel - Palestinian situation.

OP
M

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I bought the iPad because it was the only tablet solution on the market that was viable for me. I really want a good competent Android tablet, and if one comes along I will have to compare it heavily to the iPad and decide whether I should sell the iPad or not. The iPad has surprised me with its functionality, but again, it should be capable of much more, but Apple crippled it to push Itunes. I don't think bluetooth file transfer is on the same level as curing cancer. I don't think streaming from network shares is akin to fixing the Israel - Palestinian situation.

Are you saying that a tablet shouldn't be able to stream videos from your network shares or automatically reconnect to bluetooth headphones or transfer files over bluetooth? These are basic things which my 5 year old windows mobile phone did flawlessly, I expect more from a tablet than I do a phone.

RobotRock

iPF Noob
Reaction score
muyoso said:
You look at what a product is capable of before you buy, and don't just assume. It's like you don't buy a house before you know what it's like and what it has.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
Muyoso said "I bought the iPad because it was the only tablet solution on the market that was viable for me. I really want a good competent Android tablet"

And in a few months you will have many good Android tablets to choose from :)

And I hope there will be one that is just right for you, I bet there will be.... But, that does not diminish the iPad, or that fact that for many people it is preferred to the Android OS. Because you like Android it does not make you a "Kool-Aid" drinker, nor me because I like the iOS. Just different people, with different expectations and needs. Neither one is right/wrong, good/bad better/worse.... just different.

I like diversity in the marketplace. People should have the choice of what they want to buy. Desktops, Laptops, Netbooks, iPads, Smart phones, Android Tablets, WebOS, WinMo, OSX, Windows...... whatever.... if it works for you, then it is good for you. Just don't insult others because their choices are different than yours....

OP
M

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Muyoso said "I bought the iPad because it was the only tablet solution on the market that was viable for me. I really want a good competent Android tablet"

And in a few months you will have many good Android tablets to choose from :)

And I hope there will be one that is just right for you, I bet there will be.... But, that does not diminish the iPad, or that fact that for many people it is preferred to the Android OS. Because you like Android it does not make you a "Kool-Aid" drinker, nor me because I like the iOS. Just different people, with different expectations and needs. Neither one is right/wrong, good/bad better/worse.... just different.

I like diversity in the marketplace. People should have the choice of what they want to buy. Desktops, Laptops, Netbooks, iPads, Smart phones, Android Tablets, WebOS, WinMo, OSX, Windows...... whatever.... if it works for you, then it is good for you. Just don't insult others because their choices are different than yours....

Oh I know. I was just really impressed with the iPad. It exceeded my expectations. Its so close to being perfect that the remaining flaws are that much more annoying. I was not trying to insult anyone. Hopefully most of what I consider shortcomings will be solved with new apps that people develop.

Most reactions

Latest posts