What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What website do you really wish was encoded in HTML5 and not Flash?

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Perhaps we could band together, sort of like the We Rule friend request thread, and any time someone posts a major site that they used to use but cannot anymore, link us the contact page or contact email, and we all email that company saying how we wish they had HTML5 for the iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch surfing experience, etc. It only takes a couple of minutes and you can copy and paste to each company. Basically the point being to bind together and try to get the ball rolling on HTML5 content...and the more websites that convert, the more will follow suit as competition. For example, (and this is just an example) Target is not going to want to sit with Flash only while Wal Mart has HTML5.

- Mention in your email that the iPad has sold 2 million copies alone in the first 65 days, the iPhone has sold over 50 million since inception, not to mention iPod Touches.

- Also mention how the cheapest iPad is 500 dollars so the demographic buying the iPad tends to be a little more upscale and therefore able to afford more money on advertising, etc

- You can also link to this website that Apple has created, showing how many other sites have already converted: Apple - iPad-ready websites

When you post, please make sure you include a link to the contact page, or preferably email of the webmaster. Don't make everyone search through the website you suggest just to find the contact information. And please be a team player and make sure you have already emailed them before you ask others to do the same for you.

If this is a dumb idea for a thread, mods feel free to delete. ;)

OP
M

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FoxNews is already in HTML5 or are you referring to the tv site?

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not a bad idea if we do it right.

First - we need a boiler plate letter, where we just change name of sender and Web company we are sending letter too. (this makes it easier and encourage more members to participate) - i would volunteer to write letter but i suck at this

Second - this thread, or somewhere appropriate where the moderators may choose to place it, is a good place for members to alert everyone the Web company to get the letters out. Poster should include email address's and Web page link

Third - everyone participating here would send out the letters in groves to each Web page link posted.

Lastely - Matth3w, I love it, great idea :D:D:D This forum has the power to make it happen... :p Will the Forum Owner Approve?

Last edited:
OP
M

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not a bad idea if we do it right.

First - we need a boiler plate letter, where we just change name of sender and Web company we are sending letter too. (this makes it easier and encourage more members to participate) - i would volunteer to write letter but i suck at this

Second - this thread, or somewhere appropriate where the moderators may choose to place it, is a good place for members to alert everyone the Web company to get the letters out. Poster should include email address's and Web page link

Third - everyone participating here would send out the letters in groves to each Web page link posted.

Lastely - Matth3w, I love it, great idea :D:D:D This forum has the power to make it happen... :p Will the Forum Owner Approve?
The only issue with a letter template is that then the website will get the same exact letter from each person so it might look contrived.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My only real gripe is Amazon's Video on Demand service, and I've already contacted them citing the lost revenue from me due to Flash. I've gotten no reply, and I expect that's a dicey situation. The Kindle is seen as a rival to the iPad, and their digital content service is a rival to iTunes, so it might not be all Amazon's fault. Would an app for accessing VOD be approved by Apple, opening themselves up to competition from another service providing almost the exact same content, more cheaply, without their 30% cut? (A Flash-free web site would render the question moot, though).

Along similar lines, I've wondered why ABC was first out the gate with an App (a great one) while CBS, NBC, and Fox have lagged; especially curious about Fox, whose younger demographic would make this sort of thing critical. Apple/iTunes seem to have a sweetheart deal with ABC/Disney, so maybe they simply aren't letting other networks in the sandbox, rather than the others not coming to play.

The iPad is my first foray into the Appleverse, and there are some things that make me go "Hmm?" about the company.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The reason that ABC and Disney are on board with iPad is because Steve Jobs is on one or two boards due to his connection with Pixar. I just wish that Amazon was Mac compatible, since I have to download video through Windows. I wish that Hulu would dump Flash.

Most reactions

Latest posts