What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Is So Special About The New Apple iPad?

lili5689

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, I've seen commercials for the Apple iPad, but it just looks like a cross between a computer and an iPod Touch, and it's too big to carry around in your pocket. Is there anything about new and significant about it, or is it just another thing that Steve Jobs and Apple came out with for us to spend our money on. I mean, it would be kind of cool to have one, but it just seems like a waste of money. Is it really something new and different?

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
If you want one because it is cool, then you are wasting your money. But if you want a mobile solution to access the Internet, your mails, play some games, do some work, it's an investment.

My feelings were the same before I got one, it's a big iPod touch/iPhone. I already had the iPhone 3GS when I put my hands on the iPad. Guess what? I now use my iPhone as a phone and to play some music like an iPod... Everything else is done on the iPad now. For me, the biggest features are:
- mobility
- great battery life
- great display, a lot better than reading on the iPhone
- larger virtual keyboard, easier to write stuff
- always ready to use, not like laptops/desktops requiring booting time and login
- great for watching movies when traveling by bus or train

Also, I can tether to my iPhone for Internet access when there is no wifi available (it's a wifi only)

My laptop and desktop are now used for storage and development only. If your not into flash based games, then your good to go ( lots of flash based games are actually available as native apps)

And the prices for apps and games are really lower than what you find on Windows for example. I got Pages for 10$, and I could get the whole suite for 30$... MS Office cost much more than that, a bit high when you are writing basic documents...

Go to a store, hopefully an Apple Store and play with one. It's not a laptop nor a desktop, it's a tablet. Depending on what you want to do, you'll see benefits.

VicoPad addict!

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's a giant iPod touch. If you don't think that's an excellent idea you probably don't need one.

Personally, I've never understood people who think calling it that works as a criticism.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's a giant iPod touch. If you don't think that's an excellent idea you probably don't need one.

Personally, I've never understood people who think calling it that works as a criticism.

Me neither. :D

I'd been using an iPod Touch as a PDA for about a year. When the iPad was announced it was almost my complete wish list for an iPod upgrade with 3G and a GPS, though I originally thought it was twice as big as needed. I've changed my mind about that. It is exactly the right size. Smaller and it would compete with the a smart phone for pocket space and still leave me needing the stupid netbook.

Not to say that a 7 inch device can't have it's place. I think 7 inches is ideal for people who want to keep their phones dumb (and cheaper) while still having something smart in their pocket. That was my original hopes for the super iPod Touch.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's like a dishwasher or a mobile phone.
You can get by fine without one, but once you have one you wonder how you ever lived without it.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
To me it saved me money as it is an investment however it is your choice what you do with the ipad. The ipad has replaced my lap top almost 80% and no it is not a toy and it is not an iPod touch it is a device that makes life easier and has a low cost of ownership.

So much lower than a laptop it is not funny

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No. It is terrible. Don't waste your money.

Posted from my iPad

It would be nice to say hi first so please explain what is your point of your negative comment

Oh welcome to our forums

Please understand we welcome constructive criticism however on your very first post you make a direct negative comment with out an explanation

blucente

iPF Novice
Reaction score
^ +1
I never was a fan of Apple only for the reason that my world was only PC based, yeah I know. But I have to say, I love the iPad.

NYHorsewoman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
blucente said:
^ +1
I never was a fan of Apple only for the reason that my world was only PC based, yeah I know. But I have to say, I love the iPad.

Agree! And now I cannot wait each day to be done with my work on my windows PC so I can play on my iPad and by play, I mean do really fun stuff including research for my business, go on my PC using Gotomypc, answer email, surf, etc. I absolutely can't put it down.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love my iPad! Kinda changed my life.:D First day home with my iPad I found this place on my first Google.

And I never looked back.

I still am so amazed I even have one, especially, for some reason, when I take it out of the case and use it that way. Everytime ~ it feels like the first time!

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
I love my iPad! Kinda changed my life.:D First day home with my iPad I found this place on my first Google.

And I never looked back.

I still am so amazed I even have one, especially, for some reason, when I take it out of the case and use it that way. Everytime ~ it feels like the first time!

Totally agree. Even with the google part. Found this forum a week after getting iPad.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, I've seen commercials for the Apple iPad, but it just looks like a cross between a computer and an iPod Touch...Is it really something new and different?

Yup. That's exactly what it is. What you appear to be missing is that the "cross" hits a sweet spot for consumers that manufacturers have desperately been trying to identify and serve.

Yes, it's too big to carry in your pocket and so are smartphones that try to provide an adequate user experience in terms of note taking, email, web browsing, an e-reader, etc. No, it's not an adequate replacement for a powerful laptop. But it meets 80% of the requirements of a laptop for 90% of consumers and it is far more portable than even the best ultraportable tablet at about half the price. (See Lenovo X220t.)

Is it "something new and different?" Well, if your definition of "new and different" is to combine features that neither laptops nor smartphones adequately address then, yes, it is something new and different.

The point is that current technology and the basics of human physiology impose constraints on what a device can do and be. We'd all like to have a computer the size of postage stamp that meets our needs for communication, entertainment, and productivity. But holographic displays projected from one's lapel and thought recognition for application control aren't quite there yet. And as sales of the iPad and the rush of other manufacturers to emulate its functionality suggest, it's the closest thing to a "universal device" out there at present.

dsuden

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After using both, I would tend to think of the iPod touch as a mini iPad rather than looking at it the other way around. The touch is cool, but it's pretty squinty to read on, and pretty crampy to type on. The iPad solves both problems for me and pretty much relegates the touch to listening to podcasts and music.

I will say this...I'd rather be taking pictures using the touch than the ipad, because of it's pocketability... So if Apple ever gets good picture taking happening on the touch, it'll never leave my pocket again.

Last edited:

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No. It is terrible. Don't waste your money.

Posted from my iPad

It would be nice to say hi first so please explain what is your point of your negative comment

Oh welcome to our forums

Please understand we welcome constructive criticism however on your very first post you make a direct negative comment with out an explanation

I think your sarcasm meter is broken :)

Want to know what I think? I think you better be careful from here on out.

Most reactions

Latest posts