What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad 2 is the best idevice and mobile device ever created so far, its sad..

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I am typing this on an iPad 3. When I bought it, the iPad 2 was right next to it, on the same table, for $100 less. I shot some video, took a few photos, and looked at them, on both tablets. For me, a retired guy on a limited income, the 3 was easily worth the extra $100. In graphics-intensive games, it gets a bit warm, not too hot for bare knees in shorts. Most times, not even warm. Battery life is not an issue; it charges at night, and I've never run below 20% except on purpose, to condition the battery once a month.

That said, your 2 still does the job you bought it for, as well as ever. Some day, you may want to buy a game or other app that really needs a Retina display. Then you'll have a decision to make, but for now be happy with what you have. It often makes sense to skip a generation or two.

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I did a test where I turned my screen to maximum brightness and measured the temperature on the rear lower right side of my iPad. It got up to 116 degrees F. I used a digital laser thermometer for the measurement. The unit can get warm to the touch, but not hot. And electronics that actually do things like drive lots and lots of pixels, can get warm. Laptops get warm all the time. All the other high res tabs get warm, because they are driving high res screen that give off a lot of light. Nothing is free in life. Benchmarks are not useful in the real world.

The iPad 3 plays some very nice high resolution games. In fact, one cannot find anything else to match the high resolution display. If you cannot appreciate high res text, images, and games, and 20Mbps upload/download speeds, then the iPad 2 will be a better choice. And I'm still running of yesterdays charge!

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My cousin has the iPad 3 and I have the iPad 2. I can appreciate and see the improvements in his version but I'll be damned if I feel my iPad 2 doesn't still cut it and then some. Couldn't be happier. That being said, he likes the better screen more than I did and finds more value from the other upgrades. The second gen unit still gets it done for many people. But, if you don't own any iPad at this point, then the latest and greatest makes sense for you if you are looking to buy.

OP
F

fulip

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am typing this on an iPad 3. When I bought it, the iPad 2 was right next to it, on the same table, for $100 less. I shot some video, took a few photos, and looked at them, on both tablets. For me, a retired guy on a limited income, the 3 was easily worth the extra $100. In graphics-intensive games, it gets a bit warm, not too hot for bare knees in shorts. Most times, not even warm. Battery life is not an issue; it charges at night, and I've never run below 20% except on purpose, to condition the battery once a month.

That said, your 2 still does the job you bought it for, as well as ever. Some day, you may want to buy a game or other app that really needs a Retina display. Then you'll have a decision to make, but for now be happy with what you have. It often makes sense to skip a generation or two.

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.
still though for me 100$ is quite a money. but that bold text really can pull out fears of me, from loosing precious money i thought all this time.

and yes no matter how much people are saying ipad 2 is better than the new ipad, if someday i want to buy another ipad, i wouldnt buy another ipad 2.

im now quite amazed to all of you here, about how positive reviews about ipad 3 from you guys. how can be what i have read so far, that much, have been all so wrong ?

maybe if there are 2 community in this world, 1 community pro to the new ipad, and the other, are cons, i belive if they make war, this world could be doomed, just wonder how much strength of you guys in terms of quantity..

wow

Last edited:
OP
F

fulip

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did a test where I turned my screen to maximum brightness and measured the temperature on the rear lower right side of my iPad. It got up to 116 degrees F. I used a digital laser thermometer for the measurement. The unit can get warm to the touch, but not hot. And electronics that actually do things like drive lots and lots of pixels, can get warm. Laptops get warm all the time. All the other high res tabs get warm, because they are driving high res screen that give off a lot of light. Nothing is free in life. Benchmarks are not useful in the real world.

The iPad 3 plays some very nice high resolution games. In fact, one cannot find anything else to match the high resolution display. If you cannot appreciate high res text, images, and games, and 20Mbps upload/download speeds, then the iPad 2 will be a better choice. And I'm still running of yesterdays charge!
rather than saying you are stupid with the black bold text, i would say i must be stupid if i cannot appreciate hi res text, games, and speed.
luckily appreciating overall performance(which include display and speed) would be also quite a good appreciation to a device isnt it ?

the brown bold text.., people should know this, this is the only scientific empirical measurement test on ipad 3 i have read so far, but i think people also need comparison of both ipad. 2 and 3. i dont have laser thermometer. if i have one. i would post it and complete your report.

to those who live in europe if you read this :
116 degree fahrenheit is equal with around 47 degree celcius
average summer temperature on sahara desert is about 90 fahrenheit
only some area are hotter, around more than 110 degree

but dont worry, some hotter area of saharan desert wouldnt go to your hand if you dont play nasty with ipads brightness setting.

me myself even ipad 2 is quite cooler than sahara, still not interested in playing nasty with the light.
its not for the sake of temperature, but for te sake of both eyes.

Last edited:
OP
F

fulip

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My cousin has the iPad 3 and I have the iPad 2. I can appreciate and see the improvements in his version but I'll be damned if I feel my iPad 2 doesn't still cut it and then some. Couldn't be happier. That being said, he likes the better screen more than I did and finds more value from the other upgrades. The second gen unit still gets it done for many people. But, if you don't own any iPad at this point, then the latest and greatest makes sense for you if you are looking to buy.
yes, it does make sense, my praise to your oppinion and to all of you here whom have been kindly giving me a quite new sight (for me) about the new ipad.

goel3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Deleted by MattIM due to spam or unwanted content.

Last edited by a moderator:

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can take our opinions with a grain of salt. It all boils down to what YOU want to do. Do you feel having a better display will fit your needs and wants or is your current iPad sufficient. As I told you earlier the Retina Display is easy on my eyes so I felt the upgrade was warranted but the 1024 X 768 is still a good res and if it doesn't cause eye strain than you don't really need to upgrade.

Overall the ball is in your court. Do what you want and make sure it's what you want.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have all three versions of the iPad and the 3 is by far the best visually and performance wise.
That said the 2 is still a very nice machine.
Especially it's thinness.
I'm surprised I'm still conscious of the difference.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can take our opinions with a grain of salt. It all boils down to what YOU want to do. Do you feel having a better display will fit your needs and wants or is your current iPad sufficient. As I told you earlier the Retina Display is easy on my eyes so I felt the upgrade was warranted but the 1024 X 768 is still a good res and if it doesn't cause eye strain than you don't really need to upgrade.

Overall the ball is in your court. Do what you want and make sure it's what you want.

Bingo!

OP
F

fulip

iPF Noob
Reaction score

calm down..., im not opposing your oppinion about the display, i believe i havent say a word that the new ipad's display is sucks..,

if i can get a pizza by taking anyone oppinion with grains of salt, i would do it. since your oppinion doesnt belong in the kitchen, i wont combine it with salt, it belong within the sights i need about something i might going to buy. and yes, your reviews are usefull to me, no matter i might reply with some fresh joke, but yes i would consider your oppinion.

and.. i believe everybody have their own rights about what to do and what not, we are all grown up here (i believe) or does any toddler reading this ?

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts