What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is Ipad 4.2 real battery life

OP
F

FatalDesain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You should only be using the charging unit that came with the iPad, it will say 10w instead of 5w like the iPhone.

As for 15 hours...not a lie at all. I used mine yesterday moring for an hour in the morning, I worked from 9am until 8pm yesterday, on all day, I had 20% left when I left. I went home used another 2 hours and had 7% left when I went to bed. That's 14hrs on with a little over an hour left. I leave the screen on all day when I'm not using it because it lasts all day.

Yeah with that math i guess it is 15 hours, so at your job you were on it the whole time or most of it. Anyway if this is true then I'm glad because apple will be replacing my ipad. And I am using the charger that came with it. But for one the brightness was my main issue it really kills the battery. Try urs on full all day and tell me how long it last, spend about half of that time gaming and streaming music.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I havent tested since updating to 4, but I could run my battery down to 30% or by noon with bluetooth on, screen all the way up and 3G on. Gaming definitely drains. Gaming with bluetooth for audio does it even faster.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Under no circumstances should you expect to get the same battery life under all conditions. If you run the screen brightness at full you will go through battery faster. Gaming will tax the system much more than browsing or reading and even in some cases than watching video, because the CPU is being used a lot more in many games. The Display and the CPU are big power hogs.

Also using the iPad with a Bluetooth device is a big drain. Anything that is consuming extra power will be a drain.

I don't recall if the OP mentioned if he is on 3G or WiFi, but 3G can be a big drain, especially if you are in an area with poor signal strength. If the iPad is constantly looking for signal it can really burn through the battery. This is true of most any smart phone as well. And if you have a 3G device and have GPS turned on, you have yet another battery drain.

I believe Apple claims up to 12 hours of use, but they also state quite clearly it depends on how you use the iPad. I get 12-16 hours of use between charges, rarely having to charge more than two or three times a week. I have brightness set to minimum and while I do some gaming, the majority of my time is spent browsing and watching Netflix video. I also have a WiFi only iPad and where I use it there is very strong signal strength at all times.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I get 15+ hours watching videos at 1/2 or lower brightness, no problem. I go on international flights quite often so it's nice to have that battery life.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I get 15+ hours watching videos at 1/2 or lower brightness, no problem. I go on international flights quite often so it's nice to have that battery life.
Mini-hijack (no pun intended), but we just came back from a trip over Thanksgiving and happened to fly on Delta (thank you Travelocity!) and they have WiFi on board! How cool is that? Normally it is like $18, but during the holidays, it is free! I even gave out an infraction somewhere over Colorado!

OK, back to your regularly scheduled topic.

tahjxmassakr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I used my iPad until 1AM last night and ran it down to roughly 10%. Come this morning, 7 hours later, it's sitting at 90% after charging. Should I send in my iPad?

If you're using the supplied charger, I'd definitely investigate the matter. Mine's never taken that long to charge.

You're exactly right. Thank you so much, I just got the iPad used and was worried that I'd have to take a trip to the Apple Store.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You should only be using the charging unit that came with the iPad, it will say 10w instead of 5w like the iPhone.

As for 15 hours...not a lie at all. I used mine yesterday moring for an hour in the morning, I worked from 9am until 8pm yesterday, on all day, I had 20% left when I left. I went home used another 2 hours and had 7% left when I went to bed. That's 14hrs on with a little over an hour left. I leave the screen on all day when I'm not using it because it lasts all day.

Yeah with that math i guess it is 15 hours, so at your job you were on it the whole time or most of it. Anyway if this is true then I'm glad because apple will be replacing my ipad. And I am using the charger that came with it. But for one the brightness was my main issue it really kills the battery. Try urs on full all day and tell me how long it last, spend about half of that time gaming and streaming music.

I leave it logged into splashtop all day on my desktop at home. So yes it is on and running all day, whether or not I am looking at it.

Full brightness is WAY too bright...the highest I will ever set it is half way. Of course that will kill the battery. You could light a room with that thing.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use full brightness whenever I am studying in a lit room, I like it better that way. But in even a mildly dim room, it gets turned down to 1/2 or less.

OP
F

FatalDesain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah battery life is much better with brightness down, full I think takes about 4 hours off the 10 hour average life. But my other problem is charging does seem really slow, it's about 11 percent an hour just in sleep mode not off. So it takes like 9 hours to reach 100. Maybe my charger is bad but I checked it is the offical ipad one.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah battery life is much better with brightness down, full I think takes about 4 hours off the 10 hour average life. But my other problem is charging does seem really slow, it's about 11 percent an hour just in sleep mode not off. So it takes like 9 hours to reach 100. Maybe my charger is bad but I checked it is the offical ipad one.

I would take the charger back then...it should take like 2 hours to charge from 0% to 100%

chisaki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After 4.2 update, my battery seemed to drain much faster. I read on the Apple forum that turning off "Find My iPad" in MobileMe would extend battery life. I turned it off and battery drain seems to be back to pre 4.2 days.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After 4.2 update, my battery seemed to drain much faster. I read on the Apple forum that turning off "Find My iPad" in MobileMe would extend battery life. I turned it off and battery drain seems to be back to pre 4.2 days.

Could you post the link to that forum post please? Several people here (including myself) have turned on Find my iPad and found no difference in the battery life. If Apple has officially stated that this is the case I'd like to hear it. Otherwise, I suspect this is just speculation from people who have the battery problem with 4.2. Unless there is something else compounding a problem together with Find my iPad for some people.

Most reactions

Latest posts