What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is Ipad 4.2 real battery life

FatalDesain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey new user here I just bought a used ipad (owner had it since april) and I have never owned an apple product but I thought this thing got 10 hours or around that.

With 4.2 which is all I have used I get about maybe 5 hours gaming (what I do mostly. Also I am at full brightness and probably streaming music. I am jailbroken so I don't know if that matters. Is this normal or should I take it to apple store will apple replace it since it's still under warranty.

Also I wanted to add that it takes about 8 hours to charge.

Last edited:

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Something's up with your iPad - you might need to take it in. Mine discharges ar ~10% an hour so I get 10 hours doing pretty much anything, more if I'm just reading or browsing. It charges at 1% a minute when plugged into an outlet, so it's never more than 100 minutes (1:40) to charge. I've noticed no change in this behavior since updating to 4.2.1.

tahjxmassakr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Something's up with your iPad - you might need to take it in. Mine discharges ar ~10% an hour so I get 10 hours doing pretty much anything, more if I'm just reading or browsing. It charges at 1% a minute when plugged into an outlet, so it's never more than 100 minutes (1:40) to charge. I've noticed no change in this behavior since updating to 4.2.1.

I used my iPad until 1AM last night and ran it down to roughly 10%. Come this morning, 7 hours later, it's sitting at 90% after charging. Should I send in my iPad?

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Full brightness on that screen is essentially like staring into the sun. At half brightness you will get about 10 hours and lowest about 15.

As for the 8 hour charging....don't use your iPhone charger....make sure you use the charger supplied.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My battery life is exactly the same, I even did a test streaming high quality video over wi-fi the entire time before and after the upgrade.

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey new user here I just bought a used ipad (owner had it since april) and I have never owned an apple product but I thought this thing got 10 hours or around that.

With 4.2 which is all I have used I get about maybe 5 hours gaming (what I do mostly. Also I am at full brightness and probably streaming music. I am jailbroken so I don't know if that matters. Is this normal or should I take it to apple store will apple replace it since it's still under warranty.

Also I wanted to add that it takes about 8 hours to charge.

What tweaks/apps from cydia do you have installed? That can account for a lot of battery drain.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
He also said he is gaming. That eats a lot of battery. I'm back on an extremely boring long-term test at work and I have used mine intensively with emails and web browsing for about 8 hours and I'm still at 55%.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I used my iPad until 1AM last night and ran it down to roughly 10%. Come this morning, 7 hours later, it's sitting at 90% after charging. Should I send in my iPad?

If you're using the supplied charger, I'd definitely investigate the matter. Mine's never taken that long to charge.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, I'd say that heavy duty gaming with screen at full brightness is a big battery drain.

As for the slow charge, several people have mentioned this now and it would be nice to know what is causing it. What apps do you have running in the task list (double click the Home button and look at the bottom of the screen.) I know most apps in the task list are not really running, but some can run, like music apps. If we can find something common amongst the people who are having this issue it could help.

If you think you are having serious problems, take the iPad to the App store and see if they have suggestions. And please report back here because a lot of people are wondering about this problem.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I remember reading a couple battery tests one site did when the iPad first came out. Under normal use of Wi-Fi and video at low/med brightness they pulled about 15 hours, which is on par with what I've been getting. But when they ran a 3D game, they were able to run down the battery in less than 6 hours.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just downloaded Rage HD last week and I've been playing it a lot but it doesn't seem to be draining mine that quickly. I'll keep an eye on it and post back later...

OP
F

FatalDesain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah I think it's gaming that is doing it but u guys must be lying about 15 hours. Anyway I think my charger is the problem because I leave it charging all night and still not at a 100%

bastones

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah I think it's gaming that is doing it but u guys must be lying about 15 hours. Anyway I think my charger is the problem because I leave it charging all night and still not at a 100%

I think it is quite feasible to get 15 hrs of battery life (just about) on the lowest setting; probably not regularly but I think it could be possible... But generally the battery should last for around 10 hours under normal use.

Just to state to the OP, if you have upgraded to 4.2 and you think battery life has reduced, others (and myself, I believe) are having the same issue - if it is due to the software update I'm sure Apple wil sort it out in a software update as they will receive complaints from users if there is such an issue.

However, if you think battery life is reducing too quick you can always try testing the battery by fully charging the iPad and running it under normal use, first writing down when you first use it in Notes and then when it is about to die, check the time. If it is around 10 hours or something, then obviously there is no problem.

By the way, charging the iPad via your computer takes considerably longer - this was even noted when the iPad was first released. For quick charging, charge it via AC outlet.

I'm testing my iPads battery life now, I started using it at full charge at around 9am on full brightness and it's currently at 90%... Will continue using it until the battery dies.

Last edited:
OP
F

FatalDesain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been testing it and it's about 6 hours when gaming on full brightness, I found gizmodo also concluded the same. Anyway do you guys have auto brightness one because for me from 0 to 40 percent it looks the same and after that it gets brighter.

Also what is the best charger that also offer a longer cord.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You should only be using the charging unit that came with the iPad, it will say 10w instead of 5w like the iPhone.

As for 15 hours...not a lie at all. I used mine yesterday moring for an hour in the morning, I worked from 9am until 8pm yesterday, on all day, I had 20% left when I left. I went home used another 2 hours and had 7% left when I went to bed. That's 14hrs on with a little over an hour left. I leave the screen on all day when I'm not using it because it lasts all day.

Most reactions

Latest posts