What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you mean by jailbreaking?

Gzoladz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So if there is a way to pirate apps without a jb, and as -t said, pirated apps can be stopped from running in jbroken devices, what is the problem with the jb? Unless I am missing something.

Other thing Iwas tjinking about...I red smewhere that 20% of users jb their devices. Let's suppose that 10% of them pirate apps. And let's suppose that 50% of those that pirate apps their had not bought it if they were not jailbreakable.

Also, I spent so far ~€50 in apps. And I have all I need, lets suppose that is the average spent per user

We have then 2 scenarios:

1. In the current situation,for every 100 devices, Apple is loosing 30% x €50 x 2 = €30. Where 2 is the number of userx that pirate apps with the data above.

2. With no jb available, if only one of the users above for every 100 does not buy the device, Apple would loose the revenue of 1 device. I am not sure how much it is, maybe €200?

The data above is all made up by me and I am open to challenge, but those figures if amywhere near the reality suggest that strategically for Apple is better business to let the jb happen than to risk loosing a portion of its customer base.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The problem with all of this, no matter which side of the JB fence you sit on (and for the avoidance of doubt I am a developer that makes my living from the IT industry, but am absolutely pro-jailbreaking) you are all just making up / interpreting numbers and facts to justify your standpoint.
There is no point in doing this. Facts are what counts and the cold hard facts about this are almost impossible to glean by anyone.
According to what I have read above, I would be prevented from using a commercial application I have purchased just because my device is jailbroken, yet all 4 of my jailbroken devices contain no illegal or pirated apps. Is that fair? No. (I'm not saying I've been an Angel all my life, I haven't - if that's hypocrisy, so be it).

Is it fair on commercial developers that a significant number of jailbreakers think it is their right to pirate applications, even if it is on the misguided (and frankly laughable) belief that it is their right to try before they buy? No.

It's not fair on anyone.

However, that doesn't mean that a group of like-minded individuals can't get together in this place and share their passion. That's what this hacking section is all about. That's why discussion of piracy and anything related is banned.

Lets not waste any more time with pointless and baseless accusations about "the other side". I'm experienced enough to know that nobody's figures are accurate and can be interpreted in any one of a dozen ways.

Can't we all just get along? :)

wolfpack

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mobi1 said:
+1

Apple do not want people to understand internal bits of iPad because it will hurt their commercial interest.

The most powerful outcome of jailbreak is access to iPad's filesystem. It is nothing but Unix (a Debian flavour to be precise). Once you become a root user and know how to use a Unix computer, you can then

* figure out Apple did not invent a magical device, which is bad for their marketing.

* you understand the Geniuses in Apple Genius bar not so intelligent after all.

* you discover that Apple OS is not so virus proof as they want you to believe (the jailbreakme site uses an exploit in iOS which now Apple has patched)

* you can install cracked ipa files without buying from appstore which hurts their revenue and affects the appstore ecosystem.

* you can use the iPad as replacement of laptop which may in turn encourage you not to buy orver priced Macbook - again revenue loss for Apple :)

Technology savvy users are not in Apple's target demography. Apple loves fashion conscious and technophobes because it is easiest to fool them. So any jailbreaker is despicable person in Apple's world. :eek:

How do you download programs on the ipad2? I get a message "safari can't download this file" every time no matter what file I try to download. Any help would be appreciated.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mobi1 said:
+1

Apple do not want people to understand internal bits of iPad because it will hurt their commercial interest.

The most powerful outcome of jailbreak is access to iPad's filesystem. It is nothing but Unix (a Debian flavour to be precise). Once you become a root user and know how to use a Unix computer, you can then

* figure out Apple did not invent a magical device, which is bad for their marketing.

* you understand the Geniuses in Apple Genius bar not so intelligent after all.

* you discover that Apple OS is not so virus proof as they want you to believe (the jailbreakme site uses an exploit in iOS which now Apple has patched)

* you can install cracked ipa files without buying from appstore which hurts their revenue and affects the appstore ecosystem.

* you can use the iPad as replacement of laptop which may in turn encourage you not to buy orver priced Macbook - again revenue loss for Apple :)

Technology savvy users are not in Apple's target demography. Apple loves fashion conscious and technophobes because it is easiest to fool them. So any jailbreaker is despicable person in Apple's world. :eek:

How do you download programs on the ipad2? I get a message "safari can't download this file" every time no matter what file I try to download. Any help would be appreciated.

Haven't you asked this same question twice before?

Gzoladz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wolfpack said:

I am not too sure but I will try to help. I red somewhere that there is a tweak in cydia (ifile?) that let you access the file system of the device. I don't know if this is enough o let you save files though.

Also, there are some apps on the app store that apparently let you do that (I think downloader is one). I haven't used any myself but you may want to investigate around that.

Confucious

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
blog.iphone-dev.org
Jailbreakers are lucky :)
Apple will not push OTA updates to them, in fact, Apple specifically won't push to JB devices enabling us to wait until the JB is updated before update ourselves. RedSn0w has already been updated for iOS5.0b4 (tethed only) so, if you're a developer, it's save to upgrade.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Confucious said:
Apple will not push OTA updates to them, in fact, Apple specifically won't push to JB devices enabling us to wait until the JB is updated before update ourselves. RedSn0w has already been updated for iOS5.0b4 (tethed only) so, if you're a developer, it's save to upgrade.

The OTA updates are not mandatory, like the iTunes updates. So we can update as we please.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Confucious said:

The OTA updates are not mandatory, like the iTunes updates. So we can update as we please.

You two are confusing me!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Last edited:

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Most reactions

Latest posts