What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you mean by jailbreaking?

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Don't be so certain Apple cannot tell that your device was jail broken. We track that among our user base by detecting and updating our own database. It would not surprise me if Apple did the same sort of device tracking.

- t

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The reason Apple voids your warranty is you can run things on a jail broken device like over- clocking utilities that can actually damage your hardware...

Just reverting back to a stock OS does not correct the damage you did...

-t

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
thewitt said:
The reason Apple voids your warranty is you can run things on a jail broken device like over- clocking utilities that can actually damage your hardware...

-t
Sorry but beg to differ:
There is no jb app that overclocks the CPU on the ipad. FakeClockUp & speedIntensifier only gives the illusion by speeding up animations. It does not overclock the CPU by doing so....

GenerationX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thewitt said:
The reason Applehhing voids your warranty is you can run things on a jail broken device like over- clocking utilities that can actually damage your hardware...

-t

What are some of these t

GenerationX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GenerationX said:
What are some of these t

What are some of these things? I dont think theres any apps or tweaks that could damage you hardware. As outlaw said, there is no real oc tools in cydia.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
thewitt said:

-t

Have to agree with OUTL4W there. There is no way to overclock an iPad processor.
You are absolutely entitled to your opinion on jailbreaking, and coming from the developer community if that is an anti-jb stance that is fine with me, but please try not to spread misinformation about it, however well intentioned.

I've been doing this for 4 years now, since iPod Linux and am passionate about it. I've seen no proof of any jailbreak ever effecting the hardware of an iPad. The only failed hardware I have ever come across was in the early days of the original iPhone where it was possible to ruin the device with a bad baseband flash, but this was a very rare and unique set of circumstances which cannot exist on iDevices since the iPhone3G AFAIK.

If you can provide me links or evidence to back up your claims that true overclocking exists, I will happily review them. SpeedIntensifier and FakeClockUp which are the two most popular apps are both fake overclockers. They simply provide the illusion of a faster device by changing a parameter that defines the frame animation delay on IOS. Nothing more.

Apple have their own propaganda on the subject, which they are entitled to do since they clearly don't want anyone to jailbreak, but I draw the line at folks saying that you can damage the hardware via jailbreaking... There is just no credible evidence of it unless it has completely passed me by.

Last edited:

Confucious

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
blog.iphone-dev.org
It is quite amusing to see Thewitt claim he tracks the number of Jailbreakers when his figures are demonstrably out by an order of magnitude.

His tracking methods are either missing 90% of jailbreakers or there is an app in cydia that does what his apps/apps do so jailbreakers don't use them.

I PM'd him asking where he got his figures from and providing justification of the 6-10% of all iOS users which was the generally accepted figure but he only spreads his lies in public. With the latest jailbreak at jailbreakme.com the percentage is likely to be over 10% but tyhe number of unique users that have unlocked with UltraSn0w is far higher than the total number of JBers that thewitt claims.

I am not sure what his motive is - he obviously has some reason for being so totally anti JBing but to spread falsehoods like this is doing no one any good.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Nothing false about my data or our methods. The only falsehoods here are the wildly exaggerated numbers of jail broken devices spread by the community who benefits the most from looking mainstream rather than like the very small percentage they actually are.

As for how we identify jb devices, why would I describe the methods we use? That would only allow jail breakers to try to hide.

-t

Confucious

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
blog.iphone-dev.org
When you know that over 2 Million people have unlocked iPhones using UltraSn0w - which only accounts for a very small proportion of people that actually Jailbreak, how can you continue to assert that your ridiculously low figures are true?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Keep it civil guys. Remember where you are and the rules we require you to follow.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry....

It's OK. Just remember our rules. It's easy to let emotions get the better of us when discussing things we feel passionate about.

There are plenty of other forums available where folks can flame each other because of their polarised, prejudiced, standpoints. We don't do that here. Lets all try and have a reasoned, grown-up debate about things.

Where folks aren't respectful, let the moderators deal with it.

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apple have their own propaganda on the subject

+1

Apple do not want people to understand internal bits of iPad because it will hurt their commercial interest.

The most powerful outcome of jailbreak is access to iPad's filesystem. It is nothing but Unix (a Debian flavour to be precise). Once you become a root user and know how to use a Unix computer, you can then

* figure out Apple did not invent a magical device, which is bad for their marketing.

* you understand the Geniuses in Apple Genius bar not so intelligent after all.

* you discover that Apple OS is not so virus proof as they want you to believe (the jailbreakme site uses an exploit in iOS which now Apple has patched)

* you can install cracked ipa files without buying from appstore which hurts their revenue and affects the appstore ecosystem.

* you can use the iPad as replacement of laptop which may in turn encourage you not to buy orver priced Macbook - again revenue loss for Apple :)

Technology savvy users are not in Apple's target demography. Apple loves fashion conscious and technophobes because it is easiest to fool them. So any jailbreaker is despicable person in Apple's world. :eek:

Most reactions