What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jailbreak, why ?

amateur

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Having lurked on the forum for a few days now, voraciously reading everything on all topics, including jailbreak, I wonder, what is the purpose ? The ability to load/purchase apps from some 200000 available ? To do what with ? The one major thing I learnt from the forum is that the iPad is not a computer, a huge revelation for me. Macbook Pro user for many years, I expected that this device is a little Mac and was initially very disappointed that it has a "personality" of its own, and you will comply with its demands. Mine has 5.1, so not yet able to break it, but I have learnt much, thanks to this forum and its extremely helpful members. The question is probably not valid, since the user will use it for whatever purpose suitable to them, but I still wonder, why jailbreak it ? If you do, then load all the apps you want etc etc, then restore, will those apps previously forbidden, remain on it, or do they go into the nether ?

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think this question has probably been answered way too many times, but simply put one day you will come across something that you would like to run on the iPad, but Apple in it's infinite wisdom, will not allow the app to be sold on the app store because it breaks one of their silly rules. The only solution is a jailbreak.

For instance - try to find a wifi analyzer app. Or try to put your mail and calendar on the lock screen of your iPhone so you can instantly see things without unlocking the device. Perfectly legit uses of a portable device, but not available on the app store.

You certainly got it right that this device is not a replacement for a computer - but every year it can do more of your daily computing chores so you do not have to go to the computer as much. With the 3rd Gen iPad and iCloud I'd say many people (such as my parents) can do without a computer completely.

Last edited:

Rpgguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmm, how do I know if that application I want like for example the wifi analyzer app you mentioned is legal or not?

Most reactions

Latest posts