What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are using your iPad for that you didn't expect?

What are you using your iPad for that you DID NOT expect to use it for?

• Streaming/Watching Video

Votes: 21 35.6%
  • Listening to Music

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • Reading eBooks

Votes: 21 35.6%
  • Browsing the Web

Votes: 10 16.9%
  • Social Networking (Twitter/Facebook/etc.)

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • Something completely different (Post below)

Votes: 13 22.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

petermillard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For pleasure iPad is my book reader/library, my TV, my radio, my newspaper and occasionally my magazine. For work it's my notepad, my job estimator, my quick invoice generator, my A-Z, my address book and calendar. It's my web browser and email device of choice wether at work or at home.

The only time it leaves my side is when its charging. I should have bought two...

Pete

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For pleasure iPad is my book reader/library, my TV, my radio, my newspaper and occasionally my magazine. For work it's my notepad, my job estimator, my quick invoice generator, my A-Z, my address book and calendar. It's my web browser and email device of choice wether at work or at home.

The only time it leaves my side is when its charging. I should have bought two...

Pete
I use it for all those tasks too and the occasional drawing.

I plug it at any time I don't use it and of course when I sleep. So far it's never been below a 50% charge.

Cheers, Peter!:)

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Pete

Great answer!

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
I use it for surfing, music/audiobooks, email, and all that, but what I just discovered was the ability to compress my entire library of 3.5e D&D PDFs into GoodReader. Now I dont have to carry any other books with me for the games, and with 10 hours of runtime, I have yet to have battery issues. Now, to find where my 1st Ed books went to...

OP
W

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lots of great answers. I definitely should have put an option for gaming, but I guess I didn't think that would have been the "surprise" use for most people.

I have to say the battery life is phenomenal, I've gone a couple of days without charging. I take the iPad to work and don't even worry about carrying the charger along. My typical day involves several hours using the browser and mail, an hour or so gaming, a couple of hours of reading and two plus hours watching stuff on Netflix.

When SJ said a portable device can't really be portable if it must be plugged into power every couple of hours he was right on. Even my ASUS net book can't go this long without a charge.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When SJ said a portable device can't really be portable if it must be plugged into power every couple of hours he was right on. Even my ASUS net book can't go this long without a charge.

How did he call the ol' Mac+ then? Luggable? That's well before the first laptop and it was practical then. I loved the little bugger.

That makes me wonder at what we'll call portable in 25 years...

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I pretty much anticipated all of the above, but what I didn't expect was being able to upload, carry and read full symphonic scores with me on the go.

Between getting the forScore music score reader (which comes preloaded with 300 works, mostly for piano) and downloading another 300 orchestral e-scores from imslp.org, I've been able to listen to my music whilst following the e-score on public transport or waiting in a queue - something I would not and have never done with a dead-tree printed score, because of its size and bulk. Surprisingly, despite the smaller screen, I haven't had many problems reading the score off the iPad, even on a moving vehicle.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Nice one Tzimisce:).
Haven't tried that app yet, but downloading now.

Bet there's lots more I've missed as well.

Ksane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Never in a million yrs did I think I'd use it so much for watching Netflix in bed. I even go to bed early just so I can snuggle up with my iPad and a good movie :)

davidhburton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
davidhburton.com
When I got it I was expecting to be able to primarily read books, watch youtube, and listen to music. I'm amazed at what I can do with it now since apps like Flipboard, Evernote, Dropbox, Goodreader, Good for Enterprise (corporate email), the social networking tools, the various ebook reader apps, FileBrowser, and lately the best RDP (remote to your PC) app called iRDesktop....that thing is like magic!! I had thought about going with an Android based tablet, but not anymore. And as soon as Skyfire for iPad is available in Canada, I'm all set!!

xtrajerry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Haven't had any issues with the battery on my phone since getting my iPad. This thing barely leaves my side. I've also found that it attracts lots of attention, not a bad thing being 50 & single again.. I'll take all the help I get.. Other surprises are "Trucks & Skulls", Twitter, the new CNBC financial news app, Evernote, Dropbox, online trading, Amplitube & Lick of the Day..

ctsluder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Never thought I would put my menu and grocery shopping list on my iPad and take it to the grocery store with me. I love all I can do with my iPad and no it is not a big iPod or iPhone in my book.

I love my iPad!!!! 

Most reactions

Latest posts