What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are using your iPad for that you didn't expect?

What are you using your iPad for that you DID NOT expect to use it for?

• Streaming/Watching Video

Votes: 21 35.6%
  • Listening to Music

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • Reading eBooks

Votes: 21 35.6%
  • Browsing the Web

Votes: 10 16.9%
  • Social Networking (Twitter/Facebook/etc.)

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • Something completely different (Post below)

Votes: 13 22.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Maryelens

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Using the iPad -Surprises

I've found that the Webex, Citrix and VPN tools are great for remote networking and server management -the business side of the pad has been an amazing benefit, taking this technology out of the "nerd toy and game" realm into a serious business accessory. .
Also have been surprised by the relationship the pad has with the Public Library -absolutely saves me some cash on the latest best sellers.

OP
W

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also have been surprised by the relationship the pad has with the Public Library -absolutely saves me some cash on the latest best sellers.

Can you elaborate on this. I admit I read a ton on both the iPad and Kindle. I've used Gutenberg for out of print books, but admit I haven't been to a public library in nearly a quarter of a century. :eek:

Maryelens

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Public Library Audio/E-Books for iPad

There are several ways to get library access. The one that I like the best is a service that libraries nationwide subscribe to called Overdrive. I searched nationwide, and the only library that seemed to be willing to take internet applications for their library card is the library in Charlotte - Public Library of Charlotte and Mecklinberg County @ plcmc.org. A phone call and credit card charge of $45./year got access to a wonderful library and great book selection, too, although, my card IS limited to INTERNET only, which is not a problem. (I'm in Virginia) When I searched for an internet library, they were the only library that was willing to do this for me. Check with Overdrive.com - there may be other libraries that have caught up to technology with policies that allow remote users into their community.

Maryelens

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For great photo editing - particularly if you're a fan of Photoshop, Check out Photoshop on the web - makes editing photography from the ipad quite easy. There is also an app for Photoshop now, although, the web Photoshop is much better.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are several ways to get library access. The one that I like the best is a service that libraries nationwide subscribe to called Overdrive. Check with Overdrive.com - there may be other libraries that have caught up to technology with policies that allow remote users into their community.
With the OverDrive system, you can only check out mp3 audio books, YOU CAN NOT CHECK OUT EPUBS OR PDF'S since they use Adobde Digital Editions which is Flash-based and we all know what that means!

This is straight from the OverDrive website --

epubs.jpg

http://www.overdrive.com/resources/drc/compatibleebookdevices.aspx

As far as libraries that have "caught up to technology"... quite the contrary! The library systems that use this system are totally ignoring all of the Apple mobile device users by using Adobe Digital Editions.

Last edited:

Darkstar1041

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why no playing games in the poll there are some great games in the app store even better ones in instalous lol

Maryelens

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are several ways to get library access. The one that I like the best is a service that libraries nationwide subscribe to called Overdrive. Check with Overdrive.com - there may be other libraries that have caught up to technology with policies that allow remote users into their community.
With the OverDrive system, you can only check out mp3 audio books, YOU CAN NOT CHECK OUT EPUBS OR PDF'S since they use Adobde Digital Editions which is Flash-based and we all know what that means!

This is straight from the OverDrive website --

epubs.jpg

OverDrive - Global distributor of digital eBooks, audiobooks, music & video for library, school & retail

As far as libraries that have "caught up to technology"... quite the contrary! The library systems that use this system are totally ignoring all of the Apple mobile device users by using Adobe Digital Editions.
While the MP3 is considered DIRECTLY compatible, it is possible to transfer WMA format ebooks and audio books to the iPad. Those files must be translated through Overdrive's app on a pc or apple computer. It is completely incorrect to think that the other file formats cannot be transferred to an i-device - either Pad or Pod. I've been able to make these transfers for close to two years now, starting with ipod2. It is annoying that a computer has to be the intermediary device for those file formats.

Maryelens

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Generally speaking, EPUB or PDF files pose little problem for iPad. Get Stanza to read EPUB. IPDF or PDF reader are good choices for PDF publications. PDF files and Epubs, such as those published by O'Reilley are easily read on an iPad.
Through Overdrive, this type of file is not directly compatible with an iDevice, and must be "translated" or downloaded to a pc as an intermediary when checked out through a library. However, it's a simple task - quite similar to transferring music to the mobile device.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Generally speaking, EPUB or PDF files pose little problem for iPad. Get Stanza to read EPUB.

Through Overdrive, this type of file is not directly compatible with an iDevice, and must be "translated" or downloaded to a pc as an intermediary when checked out through a library. However, it's a simple task - quite similar to transferring music to the mobile device.
I am very curious to find out how you "translate" ePubs you check out from your library. I just checked out an ePub from my library that was in Adobe Digital Editions format. As expected, the book was in the My Digital Editions folder. I then copied the the file to my Drop Box account and then attempted to open it with Stanza, and this is what I got --

sail.jpg

I am fully aware that the ADEPT DRM can be "unwrapped" from ePubs I check out from my library at which point any reader can read the file, but to say that Stanza can read ePubs from your library that you check out using OverDrive is simply not true, at least not without unwrapping the DRM which is a copyright violation.

Biggysmallz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought the iPad essentially for writing purposes but I had also intended to use it in the classroom. Although the iPad screen can't be mirrored, I find that placing the iPad on a document camera works just as well for any application that I would like to project on a screen using the overhead camera.

isk9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use my Librarycard from my Surrey Library (West coast, Canada) I Just lock in to the library, download any book to my PC and transfer the free book to my ipad. My ipad has to convert it and it is very SLOW..... to do that. I have a 29$ MP3 player it download it in about 1 minute the same book takes 1 hour and 9 minutes to download to my IPAD. I take books from the library that can read Ipod and it should be able to download as fast as a cheap MP3 player. However, I am not impressed with the ipad download time, I can most likely get it to do it fast if I buy the books from Apple, but I like to go to my local library site and get it all free of charge. Just go to you local library site and download anything that can be read by ipod that should do it. The software you need to download and read from the local library is free of charge and so are the books. Try it out it is free and good if you have time to wait for the IPAD to download it from you PC. Mac or the IPAD

StarLog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Remote Desktop to Windows systems, much easier then carring around a bigger tablet or laptop. Love this iPAD.

Bobleihy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Learning a language

I have several books in Spanish, a Spanish-English dictionary, and a list of words I keep up to memorize. This takes the place of two books and a notebook, and looking things up in the Collins Ultralingua dictionary is very fast. I will be happier, however, when I can switch screens without having to go through the home screen.

Most reactions

Latest posts