What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

version 15.1 problems

edmundl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i recently installed version 15.1 and ever since have had problems typing in email and web browser. it comes up with blue box and unable to use space bar to separate words. any ideas or solutions please?

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
i recently installed version 15.1 and ever since have had problems typing in email and web browser. it comes up with blue box and unable to use space bar to separate words. any ideas or solutions please?
You could try powering down the IPad completely and restarting it.

OP
E

edmundl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried this but still does it. When you try to type an email the text box gets a blue surround and it will not let you type a sentence with spaces, or starts typing in subject bar again.. it is completely unusable...

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I can’t think of anything that would cause this.

Are you using a hardware keyboard (Bluetooth or Smart), or the touch keyboard. If you are using the touch keyboard, is it the default Apple one, or do you have a third party keyboard app installed?

Can you supply a screenshot? Please make sure you’ve obscufred any personal information befor uploading.

OP
E

edmundl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can’t think of anything that would cause this.

Are you using a hardware keyboard (Bluetooth or Smart), or the touch keyboard. If you are using the touch keyboard, is it the default Apple one, or do you have a third party keyboard app installed?

Can you supply a screenshot? Please make sure you’ve obscufred any personal information befor uploading.
see attached screenshot. This happens trying to use Apple keyboard. When i use touchscreen keyboard it works ok?

E58AAC61-0CA8-4138-AC1D-D4235CF04465.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I‘ve removed the email address from your screenshot. Better not show it in the open forum, for security reasons.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
see attached screenshot. This happens trying to use Apple keyboard. When i use touchscreen keyboard it works ok?

View attachment 95076

It looks like it’s in some kind of selection mode, but I’ve never seen anything just like that. I‘m wondering if the keyboard is damaged, so that it’s sending some key modfier constantly, but I can’t think of any key modifier/combo would do that.

Looks like this is the Gmail app. You said it also happens when you use mail from the website? Using Safari or a different browser? Does it happen in any other apps that allow you to edit text?

Last edited:
OP
E

edmundl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It looks like it’s in some kind of selection mode, but I’ve never seen anything just like that. I‘m wondering if the keyboard is damaged, so that it’s sending some key modfier constantly, but I can’t think of any key modifier/combo would do that.

Looks like this is the Gmail app. You said it also happens when you use mail from the website? Using Safari or a different browser? Does it happen in any other apps that allow you to edit text?
I also thought it might be the keyboard so I purchased a new Apple keyboard and it still does it. Thanks for cropping the image I appreciate it.
I‘ve removed the email address from your screenshot. Better not show it in the open forum, for security reasons.

OP
E

edmundl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also thought it might be the keyboard so I purchased a new one and it still does it. It also does this when typing in search bar in Safari when you try to use space bar?
it works ok in chrome?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I admit, I’m completely at a loss.

I suggest you get Apple’s support app. It’s easier than finding their support stuff on the website. Go through the hoops and see they have an answer for you. There is a good chance it will be free, but if it isn’t then they will let you know before charging you. It will probably take a lot of patience to work through the issue.

I glanced back through the thread, and didn’t see if anyone suggested you power the iPad down and back up again. If you haven’t since the issue started, I recommend giving it a try.

You might also try going to Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPad > Reset > Reset All Settings. Be sure not to tap the wrong optoin. Expect to go through you settings when you are done and re-tweek them to your taste. No data or apps will be deleted, but most of the system and many of the native Apple app settings will go back to default. Not sure if this will affect your Home Screen.

Both of these have been known to fix the weirdest problems. No guaranty though.

2C194253-DEB6-4CCF-ACC2-DD0F47C3F11F.png

OP
E

edmundl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks for your assistance. i tried your idea of resetting all my settings which has cured the problem. Did not lose any data or media. i had to spend a little time adjusting some personal settings back to where i wanted them, but not too time consuming. but hey the problem is solved. thank you very much for your suggestion.

John Niziurski

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not entirely about this specific problem, but, with 15.1, what’s with the numbers and symbols on the alphabetic keyboard? You have to use the number keyboard to get to them, so, what good are they on the regular alphabetic keyboard? If they wanted to be helpful/ useful, they could have somehow gotten the most used items from the number keyboard and added them to the alphabetic keyboard. Bouncing between the two is annoying!

Most reactions

Latest posts