What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using "OPEN IN" feature of some apps

larrycruzen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Many apps will let you open a page into a different app to work on it, but the choices are very limited. Is there a way to expand this selection?

For instance, if I have googled up a document in PDF Format and select "open in", the only app choices offered are Chrome and Safari.

Or, more likely, I get an e-mail with a PDF attachment.

How do I open these in an other app, such as PDF FORMS?

"Copy & paste" does not always preserve the correct format.

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Most of the dedicated pdf readers which you can download from the app store (usually free) will appear in that list, especially iBooks, which I usually use. In the case of emails containing pdf's a long press on the file title will bring up a menu of suitable apps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There's no way to expand the selection. The "Open In..." feature will show all the apps that will work with the file. If you don't see all of them at first, slide to the right/left to view them.

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
To expand J.A's post, of course the apps must first be downloaded, and will automatically place themselves in the menu. Also some of the "office" apps will also read pdf's.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
larrycruzen

larrycruzen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm looking to do more than read documents in PDF format.

Let's say that a bank sends me an e-mail containing a form in PDF format that needs several blanks filled in, signed and returned by e-mail.

I downloaded an app, called PDF FORMS, that seems to do what I want (if I can figure it out....it's not intuitive and there seems to be no help).

The problem was getting the file into the app, but it now appears in "open in".

Larry Cruzen

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If PDF Forms isn't working well for you, you can try the free Adobe Reader app. Personaly, I like PDF Expert 5, but that may be overkill for what you need.

Some PDFs have active text fields. Both Adobe Reader and PDF Expert will let you fill these out, just like on a computer.

Most PDF files are flat. You can still fill them out, but you will need to use text annotation. That is a bit like printing your text on a piece of tape and sticking it to the form.

Both apps also support signing the PDF.

good luck.

Most reactions

Latest posts