What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to Convert PDF file to ePub for iPad

plzeas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nowadays most of us like to read on the portable devices which makes life more convenient and amazing! The fact is, a large number of ebooks is in PDF and other formats, but some e-readers—like, iPad, —only support specific formats with their default reader apps. For the moment, ePub is the only ebook format iTunes accepts. On the plus side, ePub is a free and open standard, which is a very good thing.

The point is, even though in an ideal world ebook readers could handle virtually any format effortlessly and without any extra work on the users' part, there are worse things you could convert your ebooks to than ePub. So Tipard PDF ePub Converter came into its place as recalls.

To evaluate in a deep level , Tipard PDF ePub Converter is known as a professional PDF ePub Converter for all popular portable players, such as, Apple iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch, Sony Reader, Hanlin eReader, etc. Besides providing you with the best PDF to ePub converting experience, it will preserve the texts, layout, images, hyperlinks and everything as the original ones.

Most distinctively,Tipard PDF ePub Converter can help you convert the whole PDF file or current PDF page to ePub file. Also you can even convert the selected PDF pages through inputting the page range or page numbers.
More Features of Tipard PDF ePub Converter:

1Preview PDF
This PDF ePub Converter enables you to preview the PDF content before converting.

2Batch converting
This PDF ePub Converter also allows you to execute a batch file. Then you can get
numerous ePub files with only one conversion.

3Best output quality
The output ePub file will be exactly the same with the original PDF file.

4Support almost all languages
It supports nearly all languages of PDF files, including English, Turkish, Thai, Latin, Korean, Greek, Cyrillic, Arabic, Japanese, Chinese, etc.

5Easy to use
It possesses an intuitive interface, which will make the PDF to ePub converting operation much easily with high speed ..

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I like ePubs better for reading than PDF, so I thank you for the information about another conversion app. I'll keep an eye on it and consider it when I next need a converter.

However, there are a few factual errors in your post that I would like to mention.

There are a multitude of iPad apps that read PDF, including Apple's iBooks (its native book reader). PDF support is system wide, with a built in rendering engine that makes PDF display one of the most common features of any reading or file management app.

iTunes handles pdf imports exactly the same way it does ePub. There is no difference at all. You plug in your device, go to the application menu, pick your app, and choose the files you want on the iPad. Sync. iTunes displays PDF synced with iBooks exactly the same way that it does ePub, under Books in the Library section.

There is one key difference between iTunes' handling of ePub and PDF files. If you double click on a PDF, it gets displayed. ePub files do not.

Note: The ability to display pdf files in iTunes was tested on an iMac. I don't know if it will do so on a Windows computer.

JohnMorris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I suggest these easy steps to convert PDF file for iPad. You need to install caliber application, add your PDF and convert to E-pub. Add books into iTunes. Now click on convert E-books and select convert individually.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I believe you mean Calibre. I've used it, and it works well.

If you have a Mac, Stanza is another good solutions.

I use Stanza because it gives me access to my older eReader.com library of books, DRM and all. Ahh, the good old days and the Palm TX.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:

I use Stanza because it gives me access to my older eReader.com library of books, DRM and all. Ahh, the good old days and the Palm TX.

There is a Stanza app available for the Ipad too and does a nice job of converting the pdfs i just imported from Goodreader.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
twerppoet said:

There is a Stanza app available for the Ipad too and does a nice job of converting the pdfs i just imported from Goodreader.

Yes, they work together. That is another reason I use it. To be more accurate, that is why I use it when iBooks or Kindle don't work. It's my backup for all the oddball stuff.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,
I would like to know, is there any way I can convert PDF files (over 30MB, so "ePub2Go" is out) to ePub file so I can drop it off in iTunes and then read it on my iPad 2?
I just want to be able to read PDF formated book on iPad 2... Apple, why are you so difficult?

Why don't you just open the PDF formatted book in iBooks on your iPad? That's what I do, the iPad's native iBooks app reads PDF just fine. Upload using Safari, touch the document, choose 'Open in iBooks'.

However, if there's another reason why you want it in ePub look here

Tim

Last edited by a moderator:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Nice option and link, Tim. (stolen)

Calibre is another option. It has a lot more features, but it's not as easy to use as Tim's suggestion. But if you find yourself with more formats to convert than PDF, it will handle just about anything you can throw at it; as long as the book is not copy protected, of course.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There is no reason why you have to convert PDF to ePub to read them in iBooks. But reading PDF files is a second rate experience. If the PDF is almost all text, like a normal book, it's well worth the time to convert it. You'll get dictionary lookup, highlight and notes, two page view, resizable fonts, and more by converting it to ePub.

Some pdf books are just scanned pages though, all image, or magazine style with lots of images per page. Best to leave those as pdf files. They won't reformat into an ePub gracefully.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love to read eBooks. And I have an iPad 1. My friend have some eBooks in the PDF format but my iPad can't support PDf. So I have to convert the PDF files to ePub for my iPad.

I am eager to find the appropriate way to do that.

The iPad1 and the iPad2 both support PDF in the iPad's native iBooks app. There's no need to convert them to ePub.

Tim

Dekator

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some PDFs that work well on the Mac, however, don't work on the iPad, or in iBooks. They do, however, work e.g. in BluefireReader. Any idea as to why this is and how convert them into a format that even Apple's app csn read?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
GoodReader = very good PDF viewer and file management app with all kinds of little extras tucked away.

Google Reader = Web based RSS feed reader. Can be synced with a lot of good apps.

They are not the same thing, despite looking alike if you are reading a bit too fast.

freescopesdad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
my brother-in-law has recently published a book (non-fiction, technical) and has it for sale at Amazon.com in hardcopy format. It contains text, graphics, technical drawings, etc. He also has it in pdf format. In order to sell an electronic version at Amazon he must furnish a Kindle or ePub file.

Here is the problem. When he converts the pdf to ePub the formatting goes haywire. When he converts the pages as images, as some of the programs (xilisoft, doremisoft) do, the resulting pages are too small to be read. Is there a conversion app out there that can do this properly and fill the entire iPad screen? I haven't found one yet.

Most reactions