What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using ipad via my iphone to get online

Tim84

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just did it! It worked! iPhone 3GS on iOS 5.0.1 with an Orange PAYM SIM from my blackberry to an iPad 1 3G

My instructions above we're crap though, sorry about that, they are for iPhone 4.

Turn on Bluetooth on 3GS by going to settings > general > Bluetooth and toggle to 'on'

Still on 3GS go to settings > general > network > personal hotspot and toggle to 'on'

On iPad to go settings > general > Bluetooth > on - wait for it to find the iPhone then select it from the list and click ok on the pop-up's on both devices

Should now be connected tethered via bluetooth :)

Tim84

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No problem, had to check to make sure I wasn't imagining things!

FYI I tried on an Orange PAYG SIM (with plenty of credit on) and it doesn't allow you to turn on the personal hotspot but says to contact Orange if I want to use this feature instead - means OP's 'should' work fine if it allows him to turn on the hotspot in the first place...

Bliss66

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't know about Orange but works fine on O2. I tether my iPad 1 to an iPhone 3GS
Works fine

I am on a contract though (lowest rate) and know someone who couldn't get this set up with pay as you go

OP
uk_headhunter

uk_headhunter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all, just got off the phone to apple support ( orange) to whom has activated personal hotspot and I'm now connected. Funny how all the other people I spoke to at orange said it could be done. Thanks to all of you too for your help. Does anybody know if the iPhone 5 is out this year?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
They've released a new iPhone every year so far, so odds are yes. Probably no earlier than July.

Now that the new iPad is out I expect the rumor mill will start grinding out every imaginable new feature, release date, and design change for it.

Tim84

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Glad to hear you got it working! Now to make sure you have the Orange Your Account App installed on the 3GS so you can keep an eye on how much data you're using!

Most reactions

Latest posts