What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using External Storage Devices with the iPad

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
TylerThomas said:
I see,

So it connects via wifi? Where do you get your SDXC cards? Are they at a reasonable price where you get them?

And no I can't show you that. I don't own that particular device I was just showing it to you for reference. I think you should add the additional memory cards to your list because of those devices. You should also add portable hard drives because of their potential use with a USB hub and an AC adapter. And again I would add network dives. I just think you should make the list exhaustive so people know what all their options are.

But did you notice, that you can use an SDXC card with that one kit you were interested in? I'm thinking about maybe getting one of those kits. There a little more expensive than the more simpler ones but still reasonably priced for what all they can do I feel.

Anyway, I'd like to figure out some more uses for these things and such.

Without trying to hijack the thread I thought that this may be of interest if you haven't seen it before http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-connect/75570-cloudftp.html

The Archangel

OP
Y

yof

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes it connects via wifi but without internet if you don't want to. It creates its' own network. I get my SDXC cards from Amazon. But I get a big discount off Lexar UHS-I 128GB one because of Amazon Prime. Saved 150$? Around there. They are pretty reasonable well that is. But it's not as fast as if I was using an SSD with a SATA-II to USB cord to a CloudFTP. But even so, Wifi right now 802.11n is capped at around 480mbs? So I guess that wouldn't hurt either. My card minimum transfer says 60mb/s though. Hopefully that's good enough, because it's the best and cheapest in the market right now on Amazon for a SDXC card that is.

I use my storage devices to watch movies, but I'm moving to wireless. Since my clumsiness and how easy the CCK would come loose, I would rather not lose storage by moving onto wireless solutions. Especially towards NAS.

Without trying to hijack the thread I thought that this may be of interest if you haven't seen it before http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-connect/75570-cloudftp.html

The Archangel

Yeah, I slowly and secretly updated the thread. CloudFTP is listed under those wireless device section. But isn't wireless a marvelous thing? I love it cord free! Especially in my bed with my headphones attached. There is no way I'm going to get more than one cord tangled! Cheese for everybody! But yeah TylerThomas CloudFTP with your USB hub would be interesting too!

Off topic but relating to external drives for storage:
I was planning to make my own NAS storage, but one with SSD. Searched on Amazon there wasn't at all any good choices. But if I could somehow use the software from the manufacturers and somehow make one, I would be very happy! Especially a chip with 802.11ac ontop of a SSD storage, that would be golden! Fastest transfer upload and download out of all the methods & being wireless and without internet too! yeah got too much free time, gotta get back to work.

Last edited:

TylerThomas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:

The Archangel

That's pretty cool. How does something like that trump a network drive? Or is it basically the same kind of a thing?

What all can you do with one of those that you couldn't with a network drive?

What are the capabilities of GoodReader in its current version?

OP
Y

yof

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's pretty cool. How does something like that trump a network drive? Or is it basically the same kind of a thing?

What all can you do with one of those that you couldn't with a network drive?

What are the capabilities of GoodReader in its current version?

Well if I'm understanding you correctly. It really depends on the Network drive's Software. All are different under each manufacturer. Well the CloudFTP doesn't provide DLNA like the other network drives. But it still broadcast and stream your things like the others. The other ones are built in memory as you can see on the wireless section of the guide. But CloudFTP doesn't come with memory, that you'll have to provide, and then you can do things wirelessly.

TylerThomas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yof said:
Yes it connects via wifi but without internet if you don't want to. It creates its' own network. I get my SDXC cards from Amazon. But I get a big discount off Lexar UHS-I 128GB one because of Amazon Prime. Saved 150$? Around there. They are pretty reasonable well that is. But it's not as fast as if I was using an SSD with a SATA-II to USB cord to a CloudFTP. But even so, Wifi right now 802.11n is capped at around 480mbs? So I guess that wouldn't hurt either. My card minimum transfer says 60mb/s though. Hopefully that's good enough, because it's the best and cheapest in the market right now on Amazon for a SDXC card that is.

I use my storage devices to watch movies, but I'm moving to wireless. Since my clumsiness and how easy the CCK would come loose, I would rather not lose storage by moving onto wireless solutions. Especially towards NAS.

Yeah, I slowly and secretly updated the thread. CloudFTP is listed under those wireless device section. But isn't wireless a marvelous thing? I love it cord free! Especially in my bed with my headphones attached. There is no way I'm going to get more than one cord tangled! Cheese for everybody! But yeah TylerThomas CloudFTP with your USB hub would be interesting too!

Off topic but relating to external drives for storage:
I was planning to make my own NAS storage, but one with SSD. Searched on Amazon there wasn't at all any good choices. But if I could somehow use the software from the manufacturers and somehow make one, I would be very happy! Especially a chip with 802.11ac ontop of a SSD storage, that would be golden! Fastest transfer upload and download out of all the methods & being wireless and without internet too! yeah got too much free time, gotta get back to work.

Right, that's what I meant, that it creates it's own wifi network. That's the same thing that the Goflex Satellite does. I'll admit those kinds of devices are handy for offline use, I just am never offline when I need to access my media and files.

Yeah, I don't really use physical connections for much other than a quick transfer from a storage device to my iPad. That's really it at the moment. I haven't found much of any other use than that. I also will use Safari Download Manager to download certain files to my iPad and then transfer them from my iPad to a storage device via a physical connection. I don't even really use the "direct from storage device" method for loading ROMs when I play them. I prefer a local location of the ROMs because of how the interface is when your playing them. I could very easily disconnect the CCK with the flash drive or SD card otherwise. And I dont have to worry too much about transfer back and forth.

So all you use them for are streaming movies? Where do you get your movies from? I use my WD MBL to store a decent amount of movies; both DRM protected iTunes ones and DVD back-ups, a decent amount of music; iTunes purchases, mix-tapes, CD back-ups, etc., a decent amount of ebooks; both ePub and PDF forms, a decent amount of other videos; music videos, people speaking, short films, documentary type things, teaching videos, etc., and documents.

I'm still mainly in the storing up and setting up stage of really utilizing all of my media and files. I'm tying to get everything in order right now.

I'm still trying to find sources for media and files and discover uses for them. I'm also still looking in to applications and packages for certain uses and seeking out devices and accessories to use with my iPad in as many ways as I can that would be practical to me.

I'm really wanting to get a MacBook Pro and possibly some of the new Adobe software.

But anyway, I just want to focus on doing what I can for now and being content with that. I just haven't been feeling that good for about a week and have kind of gotten sidetracked from what I was doing.

OP
Y

yof

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@ TylerThomas.

Yes I'm a media entertainment guy. Although for questions. If airplay speakers were hooked up to recieve the sound part of the movie from the NAS connected drives, would the airspeakers around the room that is set up for 5.1 surround sound come about? Hmmm. I might have to google that. Anyway I'm looking forward to streaming FLAC content or CDQ as well. Uh I get the movies from people. Don't know if its' protected or not but as long as I can watch them that's all I care about haha! Yeah gadgeting up huh. Always fun! This is what I'm going to try do

See SSD + sata cord to usb to CloudFTP to get that max 480mb download stream, instead of dealing with those pesky Hard drives that has 7200 rpms but doesn't deliver plus it's noisy (well some are cuz of fan). Hoping next generation CloudFTP supports 802.11ac with USB 3.0 capability. In fact I'm going to ask Daniel Chin that.

Off topic education: Are you schooling @ TylerThomas, cuz if you are take a look at this http://www.massresources.org/hope-credit.html, you can buy a mbp this year and get reinbursed if you use it schooling equipment. I got reinbursed for it previous return from H&R block. Use it before it expires! only in usa

images
+
images

Last edited:

TylerThomas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yof said:
@ TylerThomas.

Yes I'm a media entertainment guy. Although for questions. If airplay speakers were hooked up to recieve the sound part of the movie from the NAS connected drives, would the airspeakers around the room that is set up for 5.1 surround sound come about? Hmmm. I might have to google that. Anyway I'm looking forward to streaming FLAC content or CDQ as well. Uh I get the movies from people. Don't know if its' protected or not but as long as I can watch them that's all I care about haha! Yeah gadgeting up huh. Always fun! This is what I'm going to try do

See SSD + sata cord to usb to CloudFTP to get that max 480mb download stream, instead of dealing with those pesky Hard drives that has 7200 rpms but doesn't deliver plus it's noisy (well some are cuz of fan). Hoping next generation CloudFTP supports 802.11ac with USB 3.0 capability. In fact I'm going to ask Daniel Chin that.

Off topic education: Are you schooling @ TylerThomas, cuz if you are take a look at this http://www.massresources.org/hope-credit.html, you can buy a mbp this year and get reinbursed if you use it schooling equipment. I got reinbursed for it previous return from H&R block. Use it before it expires! only in usa

+

About your first question, I don't quite understand what you're asking. But if you had a 5.1 surround sound speaker system and the audio receiver had AirPlay (as in Apple AirPlay) capability you could listen to the audio from your media on such a system as long as the application you were using to stream or play the movie for example had an AirPlay function incorporated into it. I don't think that's what you were talking about but I don't quite understand how a surround sound system would "receive the sound part of the movie from the NAS connected drives" without a medium such as your iPad and an application that could AirPlay the sound to the system like I described above. It would seem the software program/application that you were using to play the digital content stored on you storage device would have to be the means to which you wirelessly broadcast the audio from such content to a surround sound system also of course the transmitter in your iPad being part of the process. They make surround sound systems with AirPlay functionality but they are pretty expensive. If you already have a surround sound system I would rather look into some kind of receiver device that could receive the audio signal from your iPad and play it through your speaker system. I have an Apple TV and with the WD 2go application I can AirPlay movies to my TV and play it through the sound system although if you were going to use the sound system for the audio it would seem you might as well use the HD TV for the video, and set up a connection between your storage device containing the media and your home theater system, perhaps with a home theater PC system of some sort, or a media streamer connected to your TV that would be compatible with your storage device.

And the movies you "get from people" are obviously not DRM protected because if they were you would have to sync your iPad with the iTunes library for which account was used to purchase them before you could actually play them on your iPad. Each device has to be authorized before it can play such media, because of Apple's policies and contracts with the studios.

All my movies are either bundles I purchased from the iTunes store or DVD backups made with 123CopyDVD Gold. Although I'm looking in to more resources for such things, not just movies but digital media and practical files in general. At least I was anyway.

But no I'm not a student. Thanks for the thought.

And as far as NAS goes WD sells massive NAS storage devices with compatibility with their iOS applications. Not that I think that would really interest you, but FYI anyway. Their NAS products are also compatible with their TV Live products, so you could not only stream the content to all your iOS devices but also your home theater system. Just FYI.

Last edited:
OP
Y

yof

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hm. Yeah that's another thought, home entertainment system with NAs storage. Can't wait til I get that set up in the future. Hopefully there will be something in the market for mounting SSD's to a single whole so it shows as one. Or a SSD that's big enough. If there was an SSD with 5TB I would so pay over 2K right now for it. Why I keep mentioning SSD instead of HDD in the current market is that I can't standddddd HDD. I really can't lol. It's too fragile for that much storage. I'm not rough with my products but I don't trust HDD. My data has been whiped out too many times by different brands. lol. But yeah looking forward to seeing this

UcaFI3liZ8gBLtpFWC9dnVQ56CsUe10VtayZUhPUFQ9lHKEWAnabuDg0Fyy7S-qI3MqSeHrXONDfTdWTpsCLH9yu0TR0MXHqbQF3bee1hDODSwy9ElUVyd1sglUp6lVO6XLkULHa7LpGBDt3DJEW_L260JS4qNrBXZlsJeHyYBnV=s90-c
yeah man! with airplay set up through NAS ! Yamaha yht-897 5.1

TylerThomas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yof said:
Hm. Yeah that's another thought, home entertainment system with NAs storage. Can't wait til I get that set up in the future. Hopefully there will be something in the market for mounting SSD's to a single whole so it shows as one. Or a SSD that's big enough. If there was an SSD with 5TB I would so pay over 2K right now for it. Why I keep mentioning SSD instead of HDD in the current market is that I can't standddddd HDD. I really can't lol. It's too fragile for that much storage. I'm not rough with my products but I don't trust HDD. My data has been whiped out too many times by different brands. lol. But yeah looking forward to seeing this

yeah man! with airplay set up through NAS ! Yamaha yht-897 5.1

I'm sure you can find SSD with more capacity it's just gonna be in a specialized market. I would keep looking and I think you could find it.

OP
Y

yof

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sure you can find SSD with more capacity it's just gonna be in a specialized market. I would keep looking and I think you could find it.

Yeah... I found a 1TB for $2500... lmao. Hell to the no! Unless it's a Nas server which is freakin huge LOL.

TylerThomas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yof said:
Yeah... I found a 1TB for $2500... lmao. Hell to the no! Unless it's a Nas server which is freakin huge LOL.

yeah I don't know. Guess you'll just have to wait until the market for them grows.

OP
Y

yof

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yeah. cmon the future! De Lorean me that gadget!

OP
Y

yof

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So...I recieved my Airstash A02 and 128GB SDXC Lexar uhs-I card. Tried to reformat 128GB to fat because exfat does not get recognized. The 128GB does not support fat with 128GB storage. But does with 23GB capacity in fat. Bummer. Also using a SDHC card testing file transfer, while uploading videos to the Airstash, it crashed and lost connection. Soon afterwards, the iPhone and iPad was not able to see the device online with the private connection created. Resetted internet connection and everything customer support from the device maker and it would not work. If one try right out the box causes a crash for the airstash, then I'm going to recommend not getting it replaced. Both of them.

Can't wait for future support for Airstash A03 with 802.11ac, exFat format/sdxc, and battery options.

Updated front page:

CameraConnector for iPhone and iPod Touch more info on front page. Fixes and bugs are being worked on by developer. Cost .99$

Last edited:

Most reactions