What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

External hard drive troubles

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm trying to connect my external hard drive to my iPad using the camera connection kit. I tried to just connect it and it gave me the not enough power error. So I plugged it into my powered hard drive caddy and nothing came up?? Is this because it requires drivers? If so can I get a y cable, plug one end into the iPhone charger and plug the other into the iPad??

Also what format does it have to be? Fat32??

Rich Gibson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm trying to connect my external hard drive to my iPad using the camera connection kit. I tried to just connect it and it gave me the not enough power error. So I plugged it into my powered hard drive caddy and nothing came up?? Is this because it requires drivers? If so can I get a y cable, plug one end into the iPhone charger and plug the other into the iPad??

Also what format does it have to be? Fat32??

You're supposed to be able to use either FAT 32 or HFS. I've gone over Maxwell's tutorial Maxwell C. Shay Apple iPad w/Spirit Jailbreak (and the camera connection kit): How to mount external HFS and FAT32 hard drives in MacOSX about 10 times now and can't get it to work. Everything gets to the point where the mount to an external msdos formatted drive command appears to mount and you can "ls /dev/disk1s1" and it shows the external HD connected to the IPAD but when you go to the directory you told it to mount to, nothing. I've asked several times with no response. One member claims that iFile automatically connects the drive to the IPAD but has not replied to a request to show how he did it.

OP
addiosamigo

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, ifile does apparently, just like the USB stick thing. I'm gonna order a y cable and see if I can get it to work. I'm guessing if the iPad says there's not enough power then if I plug it into the mains there will be!!

Cheers fir getting back to me over 50 views, I was getting worried lol

Rich Gibson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, ifile does apparently, just like the USB stick thing. I'm gonna order a y cable and see if I can get it to work. I'm guessing if the iPad says there's not enough power then if I plug it into the mains there will be!!

Cheers fir getting back to me over 50 views, I was getting worried lol

I've only see that one post in this site about iFile working, but without any explanation. Sure would be nice if someone could help out....with a step by step showing how it's done.

OP
addiosamigo

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recieved my Y cable in the post today, I did what I heard on here but no dice, hard drive is spinning but ifile doesnt see it. so i'm not sure what that other person did differently, but its not working for me!

i even tried to format it to hfs, still not working!

Last edited:

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Frankly I am at lost to why one would want to hang a hard drive of a iPad but that's your call. The only one I can come up with is movies but then why not stream them from your pc or buy a net book instead.

OP
addiosamigo

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What happens if your on holiday? With a hard drive I can store a lot of my films and tv shows, I wouldn't be able to stream them them.

Besides, what's the point? Because it can be done! And that's the main reason!

Rich Gibson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Frankly I am at lost to why one would want to hang a hard drive of a iPad but that's your call. The only one I can come up with is movies but then why not stream them from your pc or buy a net book instead.

Photography. Last May in Paris I took 4500 images at 13mb each. I trudged along a 13" aluminum macbook and two external hard drives, a carry case and the MBP power pack. This spring I'll take the IPAD, it's tiny power pack and a handful of 32 GB SD cards and the camera adapter, and possibly a USB card reader. At about 2 lbs, that beats 6. On our way out from Dulles with Air France they weighed our carry on luggage. What with my camera equipment 12 kilos doesn't go very far.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
a product called AirStash works great wifi external portable storage. For most users this type of device is more than enough as it used sdhc cards if one chooses to haul around portable hard drives with the iPad then so be it.
I agree with Rich about having portable external sdhc cards and frankly i prefer a solid state external storage than a hard drive which is more likely to fail
It is just an opinion nothing more nothing less

OP
addiosamigo

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i'd love to be able to afford a 100gb SSD :)

but I still dont think that will help with my connection problem :D

OP
addiosamigo

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i don't understand what the difference between this and using the camera connection kit and an SDHC card? apart from the price!

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It can be shared by several devices at same time and it is totally portable and real small One does not need to jail break it just works as a mini server hey just trying to assist ok

OP
addiosamigo

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yeah man I know that and appriciate the input, do you have to plug it into a computer though??

Most reactions

Latest posts