What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using External Storage Devices with the iPad

OP
Y

yof

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MorAase said:
Dropbox

How is this as "external disk".

Way too slow?

I have the 100 gig.

Dropbox is using their own server. Using your own server will speed things up. Then you can upload online. It is faster with your own (server) storage. Reguardless of how many gigs you have for dropbox

magarciar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
By any chance anyone has tried to install an app to an SD card, or whatever external device, using a JB ipad and iFile or else? I've been looking for info about it on google with no luck so far. I want to buy the CCK but I have to wait until there is a IOS 6 JB. Anyone has tried what I mentioned before on IOS 5? Thanks in advance ;)

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
By any chance anyone has tried to install an app to an SD card, or whatever external device, using a JB ipad and iFile or else? I've been looking for info about it on google with no luck so far. I want to buy the CCK but I have to wait until there is a IOS 6 JB. Anyone has tried what I mentioned before on IOS 5? Thanks in advance ;)

Been tried and its not a workable config AFAIK :(

uyenho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
File transfer of over 4gigs can be done over any storage with exfat format.
Thanks for reply, but I thought CCK can't see the exfat format, it only works with FAT format???? That is what I read from your 1st post:"External Hard Drive (with power cord & formatted in FAT32" or I misunderstand something????

MorAase

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This works;

Ipad 3, Ifile, CCK and a Transcend 16 gb usb flash.

Now, I should like to know someting about importing photos.

It s kind of troublesome to have my ipad copy several 100 files into last imported folder,

It would have been easier with an app that imports into a specific folder from my sdhc card,
Then this app backup these files onto my usb flash.

OP
Y

yof

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for reply, but I thought CCK can't see the exfat format, it only works with FAT format???? That is what I read from your 1st post:"External Hard Drive (with power cord & formatted in FAT32" or I misunderstand something????
CCK can't see exfat format SD cards. But it is only compatible to SDHC and below as far as I know. Other storages can transfer wirelessly through exfat though with a bigger cap.

This works;

Ipad 3, Ifile, CCK and a Transcend 16 gb usb flash.

Now, I should like to know someting about importing photos.

It s kind of troublesome to have my ipad copy several 100 files into last imported folder,

It would have been easier with an app that imports into a specific folder from my sdhc card,
Then this app backup these files onto my usb flash.

Yes you should try the air stash or Kingston wifi device listed. Very simple and it both comes with an app and alternative app Good Reader from app store also makes life simpler!

OP
Y

yof

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow yof, you spent a lot of time/effort in that first post! Very impressive! :)

Send from my iPad using iPF.net

Thanks! That's what happens when your iPhone 4 gets outdated by the iPad. Looking forward to more experiments so I can guide it all up!

trebs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
CCK with 16GB SDHC card and Goodreader app

Excellent thread. I have read it all but it does not answer my 'problem'.

I have an iPad3 16GB. I was hoping to be able to store a few movies on SDHC cards (tried an 8GB and 16GB), to watch while away from home, using a 5 in 1 CCK. The ipad connects OK to the CCK and photo files come up and transfer no problems but the ipad will not read movie files on the SDHC cards (in mp4 format from 300Mb to 2 GB in size). The movies (not rentals) I am testing with have previously been played on the ipad after transfer through itunes and played no problems at all.

Should I be able to transfer these movies using the CCK? Is it because the files are too large or do I need to user smaller capacity SDHCs? I have the app 'Goodreader', can that help me? My iPad3 is not jailbroken.

Any help appreciated.

Last edited:

trebs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am replying to my own post. Thanks for the zero help I received in this forum but I have had my question answered in another forum and yes it is possible to download large movie mp4 files to Ipad3 using a CCK. The naming convention of the folders on the SD card needs to be correct to achieve this.

My second and last post in this less than helpful forum!

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am replying to my own post. Thanks for the zero help I received in this forum but I have had my question answered in another forum and yes it is possible to download large movie mp4 files to Ipad3 using a CCK. The naming convention of the folders on the SD card needs to be correct to achieve this.

Hey! Just because you've only given it a day and nobody's responded doesn't mean people are just ignoring you, NOR does it mean this forum is unhelpful. Please give it time. :)

Regards,
Goofy

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Goofy is right!

Trebs--a little patience is what is needed here. Having just posted on the 18th and expecting a response immediately may not happen and is not reasonable considering that this is an international forum and with different time zones for members coming on.

On top of that, you posted a question within someone else's thread. That makes it harder for others to see your question.

So just a heads up in the future...and BTW, please be respectful to our members and also to this forum. Your comments were uncalled for.

Thank you.
Ski...
iPadforums Moderator | iPhoneForums Moderator..

MorAase

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, well we dont want ww3 here do we ......

What I should like to have is a list over compatible harddrives. Them small 2,5" portable usb drives you know and use on macbook air.

That works with ipad 3 with a cck.

I just tried a 32 Gb memory stick, a usb 3,0
It didnt work - Iad said it couldnt provide sufficient power to it.

A standard 16 gb usb 2,0 works fine, i will now try a 32 gb standard usb 2,0.

jwjohnson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Air Stash 2 Experience?

I'm considering getting an Air Stash 2. I currently have been using an external HD with an external power supply and the CCK USB adapter with iFile. It has worked ok for me, but I'm looking for a more compact solution. I have a few questions I haven't been able to find out about the Air Stash.
1) Will it transfer files to/from the iPad rather than just stream files? Do I need to be JailBroken and use iFile to do this or will the Air Stash App do it?
2) Will it work while plugged into a power source (ie. A/C charger or external battery pack)?
3) Will it work with 64 GB SDXC cards? How about 32 GB SDHC cards?
Thanks for your help.

I currently have a 64 GB iPad 2 Wifi, but am considering the new iPad fourth gen and thinking about only getting the 16 GB version if I can come up with an easy to carry external storage solution that doesn't require JB since I assume it will be some time before that will be available on the new iPads.

Jeff

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
1) Will it transfer files to/from the iPad rather than just stream files?

Yes, it will let you move files. I'm talking photos, PDFs, etc.

Do I need to be JailBroken and use iFile to do this or will the Air Stash App do it?

No, the app has it built in. You can download the app from the app store. I have a mini-review around these parts some place. :)

2) Will it work while plugged into a power source (ie. A/C charger or extern

Yep. Just use a usb charger...plug the usb end into the charger...in your car, or just any usb charger. This means you have one less charger to carry around.

3) Will it work with 64 GB SDXC cards? How about 32 GB SDHC cards?

Yes, I have both a 64 GB SDXC card and two 32 GB SDHC cards. IIRC, you cannot use NTFS, must use FAT32.

HTH.

Most reactions

Latest posts