What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Use mouse on ipad?

ktjensen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Forgot to mention that you have to install ACTIVATOR before installing BTSTACK so that you can map a RIGHT CLICK ( aka double finger press) in WEBE++ to mean the HOME button. Nothing in any instructions on this but had experience, and found the settings.

You may need to wait up to 30 seconds for Bluetooth to connect to your mouse (or WEBE++ mouse emulator). Make sure that during you installation that you do not accidentally pair BTSTACK on your iPad to your iPhone too early. Did that once before I had WEBE++ running and caused more problems.

ktjensen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The sleep preventor app used is something called SLEEP DEPRIVER which seems to be the most functional. I have it set up for a two second of the power button to activate SLEEP DEPRIVER. It has a nice bar indicator so you know when it is active.

So far my tests with WEBE++ and BTSTACK MOUSE seem to work, and can restore connections.

Just be prepared to uninstall (expert Cydia mode) and reinstall if you have problems. Remember that you only connect select the mouse on the IPAD end. Good luck.

ktjensen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Doing more reading on BLUETOOTH and it looks like when some device is connected via BLUETOOTH it likes to sustain that pairing. Not pair with anything else. That pairing happens on both the mouse side and the device side. So be aware that you might have a challenge if you use use your Bluetooth mouse for anything else, besides your iPad.

Encouraging users to go ahead and experiment with the least expensive bluetooth mouse you can find, but please report back about success or failures.

ktjensen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Too many notes on this. But have to put them somewhere as no one else seems to have this discussion.

When turning everything off make sure you go back into SETTINGS and select BTSTACK to make sure it is off on the IPHONE side and off on the IPAD side else you will be using battery. Also deactivate SLEEP DEPRIVER so that everything is functional.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Since this thread has evolved into a discussion on using a mouse on a jail broken iPad, I'm taking the liberties of moving it over to the Hacking section. Thanks for your understanding.

Marilyn

ktjensen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Several hours later. Attempting to connect iPhone using WEBE++ as a mouse pad. To an iPad running BTSTACK mouse. Complete failure!! Will not connect. Can not connect. Even though I had this working this morning it is now no longer working. Seriously unstable software.

Not recommending this for anyone who might actually need to depend on it. May have to completely remove and reinstall he software again.

dstuttgen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I ponied up the clams for the Apple magic mouse. :eek: With BT Stack and BTstackMouse I am able to use both the mouse AND my ZaggMate keyboard, albeit, the keyboard has limited functionality; ie, the top row of special function keys do not operate as they would if I was using the keyboard with the Apple stack. The Magic Mouse is nice and can be customized via Activator. I simply have left click for select and drag and right click to emulate the home screen button. I haven't figured out how to make middle click work yet. And unfortunately, swipe gestures on the surface of the Magic Mouse do not appear to be available. :( I don't use the mouse a lot but I like that I can use it when I want/need it. :D

Cheers, Dan

yof

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is that in cydia somewhere? Any chance you know how to get a keyboard with a tab?

Most keyboards (bluetooth / thirdparty) have the Tab button. But on the iPad built in onscreen keyboard I wouldn't know the answer to that. And the guy that makes the post about how fabulous to have capability of a mouse on a tablet is sure fortunate. I know I would love to use that option or love to have that option. I myself don't have internet at sometimes by traveling. I would love to mount my iPad somewhere close by infront of me and use bTstack Mouse and control my Movies' volume, playback, and change next movies without moving (basically being a couch potato). I love the good life ! Need a corona as matter of fact!

ktjensen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay. Tried out the Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook 5000 mouse. Cost $28 on Amazon.

Verdict?? PROBLEM!!

1) Connection works. Still seeing problems with BTSTACK MOUSE on the IPAD. If you disconnect, you end up locking up the BTSTACK MOUSE. Does not reconnect. Have to reboot the IPAD to get everything running again. This is a problem as this should be much more stable. There is something not right happening with the connection software, and the drivers. More experiments by the developer need to be done.

2). The MICROSOFT 5000 MOUSE seems to go to sleep or disconnect after about five minutes. That's silly. Is it the mouse side or the BTSTACK side? Who knows. Others have mentioned this problem. Just not sure this is the way to work.

dstuttgen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I ponied up the clams for the Apple magic mouse. :eek: With BT Stack and BTstackMouse I am able to use both the mouse AND my ZaggMate keyboard, albeit, the keyboard has limited functionality; ie, the top row of special function keys do not operate as they would if I was using the keyboard with the Apple stack. The Magic Mouse is nice and can be customized via Activator. I simply have left click for select and drag and right click to emulate the home screen button. I haven't figured out how to make middle click work yet. And unfortunately, swipe gestures on the surface of the Magic Mouse do not appear to be available. :( I don't use the mouse a lot but I like that I can use it when I want/need it. :D

Cheers, Dan

Let me clarify; When I reboot my iPad I do have to "restart" the mouse and keyboard via the BT icons (mouse and keyboard) it is a bit of a hassle but like i said, I don't use the mouse a lot.

Dan

ktjensen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Received used magic mouse. Starting testing. Will report if any problems. So far works great.

After about 20 minutes the Bluetooth mouse (aka Apple Magic Mouse) disconnected. The Bluetooth symbol on the iPad went dark. Had to go back into the mouse app and reconnect. Maybe the battery in the mouse is weak. Will check later.

Last edited:

ktjensen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple Magic Mouse - working great. Very bullet proof. No problems after a week.

Next step adding an apple Bluetooth keyboard - simultaneous.

iBean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Redneck_Randy said:
The iPad bluetooth protocall does not support a mouse. You can use a mouse on the iPad 1 but it has to be jailbroken.

Can you use a touch pad? I have my iPad 1 set up c/ a ZAGG Bluetooth keyboard, and in that laptop type configuration, it is awkward touching the screen to move around.

sn4ke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can you use a touch pad? I have my iPad 1 set up c/ a ZAGG Bluetooth keyboard, and in that laptop type configuration, it is awkward touching the screen to move around.

I use a Magic Mouse and a Wireless Keyboard at the same time on my iPad3 (Wifi+Cellular). The mouse has replaced my finger for navigating the iPad home screen, and do actions within applications, like scrolling, opening and closing documents, even playing certain games, like Angry Birds, Plants vs Zombies, Bejeweled, etc. I can even swipe left or right on the status bar with the Magic Mouse!

There are short cuts within Activator, where one can assign certain keyboard commands to perform a number of tasks, like close applications, minimise to app switcher, show app switcher, kill background, invoke Backgrounder, etc.

With the Magic Mouse and Wireless Keyboard, the iPad becomes a better productivity tool (with the help of BTstack Keyboard - latest paid version - and BTstack Mouse). The only time I touch my iPad screen is before I pair the Magic Mouse + Wireless Keyboard to the iPad.

Last edited:

Gzoladz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am glad I found this thread as I am considering the magic mouse for some occasions.

Do gestures work with the ipad?

Also, what is the battery life like?
Thanks,
G

Most reactions