What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Use mouse on ipad?

sentinelace

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Use Citrix which gives me the cursor option. Can I use a blu-tooth mouse?

Redneck_Randy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The iPad bluetooth protocall does not support a mouse. You can use a mouse on the iPad 1 but it has to be jailbroken.

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Why? That sucks

Mostly because IOS is a touch based operating system, not a cursor / mouse based one. There are significant differences in the way the interface reacts to touch compared with the way other devices react to clicks on a mouse.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Why? That sucks

Well, there are so many posts concerning 'limitations' of the iPad vs. a standard computer - not meant to be the same, and an understanding of their differences (and potential lack of desired features) should be WELL researched before a purchase - might save some agony & disappointments - just saying - :)

OP
S

sentinelace

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
Mostly because IOS is a touch based operating system, not a cursor / mouse based one. There are significant differences in the way the interface reacts to touch compared with the way other devices react to clicks on a mouse.

Cisco is ios and uses tons if GUI based applications so I disagree

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In spite of the nay-saying and other comments, the iPad 2, with the appropriate Jailbreak, will run BTStack Keyboard AND Mouse. With the upgrade to 5.0.1 and it's associated jailbreak, the BTStack Mouse runs very well.

All this mouse controversy on the iPad is purely a personal opinion driven issue... including mine. I have it, I use it, I love it. When I don't need the mouse, such as taking the iPad to the sofa to read or other such thing, the mouse stays behind, doesn't interfere with anything, and waits for my return to pick up where I left it.

Brian - Sent from my iPad using iPF

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's hard at first breaking away from using a mouse, but the iPad is not a computer, after a while using the iPad the reasoning behind how it works become clear.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sentinelace said:
Why? That sucks

iOS is a multi touch system based on the fact you always have a pointer = one or more fingers. The challenge of trying to use a mouse is the apps have to be written a la Microsoft like interface ... the key of which involves hovering with the pointer. There is no possible way to hover with your finger since when you touch the action takes place. This is the reason that Flash does not work on iOS.

When lounging in a chair, using a mouse becomes a problem. On and on it goes. Just accept the fact that the mouse with iPadx is not going to happen.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to our forums .Just for the record the ipad is a classified as a computer and does not require a mouse to function and is no different to Samsung galaxy or any android tablet. That is the design and no CISCO is not iOS. Ultra light computers come with touch pads laptops come with touch pads and yes one can use a mouse but it really is not necessary.

stevemcgee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In iPad, the mouse does not work because the iPad is a touch screen device. The iPad operating system does not support any USB mouse. There is no point in installing any driver for the external USB mouse. With iPad, you must always work on with your finger. It won’t take you long to get used to the touch format.

ziffos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to our forums .Just for the record the ipad is a classified as a computer and does not require a mouse to function and is no different to Samsung galaxy or any android tablet. That is the design and no CISCO is not iOS. Ultra light computers come with touch pads laptops come with touch pads and yes one can use a mouse but it really is not necessary.

An iPad 2 is way, way different to a Samsung Galaxy and other Android Tabs as these WILL work with a mouse.

Whereas only way to use a mouse on iPad 2 is to Jailbreak it.

Most reactions

Latest posts