What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USB upgrade -- Anyone tried it?

Pingles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A few motherboard companies announced that they are upgrading their USB ports through firmware allowing the iPad to charge from them.

***URL removed because I do not have enough posts on site***
Saw on Engadget. If you do a search on engadget for:
gigabyte msi
the article is second on search results.

I just recently built a PC using one of the supported Gigabyte motherboards (P55A-UD3) but cannot for the life of me figure out what to upgrade.

All of the firmware/driver files on their website are dated January 2010 and match mine already.

Just verified again that my iPad does not charge.

Anybody had luck with this?

spinfreak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm no expert, but I can't see how that would work. A normal USB port gets 5 watts, but an iPad needs 10 watts. In order to change that, the wiring/connections would need to be changed.

And FYI, an iPad will charge through a regular USB port (or an iPhone charger), but it will do so at a slower rate. If the iPad is in sleep mode it will charge it....if you're using it, it will stay very close to at least maintaining your current charge.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm no expert, but I can't see how that would work. A normal USB port gets 5 watts, but an iPad needs 10 watts. In order to change that, the wiring/connections would need to be changed.

And FYI, an iPad will charge through a regular USB port (or an iPhone charger), but it will do so at a slower rate. If the iPad is in sleep mode it will charge it....if you're using it, it will stay very close to at least maintaining your current charge.

I suppose its possible that some manufacturers wired for 10W, but capped the output to 5W in the bios. The upgrade would be good, not only for the iPad, but for running USB powered hard drives and other devices that need more power.

OP
P

Pingles

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Not sure about that. When I am connected it actually says on the iPad "Not Charging"

From the web:

http://images.intomobile.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/ipad-not-charging.png

This is what mine says when connected.

spinfreak

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Not sure about that. When I am connected it actually says on the iPad "Not Charging"

From the web:

http://images.intomobile.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/ipad-not-charging.png

This is what mine says when connected.

That's weird. It's been stated on here many times that it will charge, albeit slowly. And I charge mine on a regular USB and my iPhone charger all the time, and ive never had it say not charging. I prefer to charge it on the iPad charger since it's quicker, but sometimes it's just more convenient to charge it on the regular USB depending where i'm at.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It will charge, but if you have the screen on it will say "not charging". Obviously you can't see what it says without the screen being on.

Trust me that if you leave it plugged in, it will charge, just VERY slowly. I think mine charged from 39 to 86 percent over a period of 8 hours (while I was sleeping).

OP
P

Pingles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SUCCESS!!!!

My iPad now charges through the USB connection on my PC.

I had to flash my BIOS and then run a USB Charge program from my motherboard manufacturer.

But I am now showing CHARGING during PC connection.

Nice!

Wolffmann34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On my iPad, when it shows 'not charging', it's not.
pr8jx8

But this is only from my car iPhone charger. It does charge slower from my laptop, of course so does my iPhone, but even when it is charging at the slower rate, it still shows 'charging' on the display.

Granted, I have only left it in the car on standby for about 5 hours and it's charge level did not change.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, but as soon as you turn off the screen it will start charging.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't have the audio package...there wasn't a single red 1SS Camaro with a 6spd in all of Arizona when I bought it. And I think you need the 2SS for it anyhow.

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It definitely charges when plugged into a computer, but quite slowly as stated above. You will see "not charging" when the screen is on, but once the screen is off, it will slowly charge. I too, was wondering about that article saying that some motherboard makers had put out updates to make charging possible. Glad to see it does work for those who have the supported ones, now to see if I do.

Dr.Gee

iPF Novice
Reaction score
SUCCESS!!!!

My iPad now charges through the USB connection on my PC.

I had to flash my BIOS and then run a USB Charge program from my motherboard manufacturer.

But I am now showing CHARGING during PC connection.

Nice!

Link please.

Most reactions

Latest posts