What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USB adapter?

Last Gladius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are there an kinds of USB adapters that would allow me to plug in my USB drive into some kind of adapter that would then transfer my files onto my iPad, without using my computer in any way?

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Camera Connection Kit from Apple allows you to connect SD memory cards and USB memory sticks and copy image files from them to the iPad. I have read that some usb keyboard also work. I've also read that if you connect a powered USB hard drive that only photo will be visible from the iPad.

I'm sure there are other options if you are willing to Jailbreak your device.

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Which kind of files are you transferring? Docs, spreadsheets, presentations, notes, pics, videos..

Those kind of files? If so, have you looked into MobileMe or dropbox as an option?

OP
L

Last Gladius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would like to transfer pictures and MP4 files onto my iPad from my USB, and what is MobileMe?

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MobileMe Is A Service Provided by Apple

I would like to transfer pictures and MP4 files onto my iPad from my USB, and what is MobileMe?

That allows subscribers to securely store files such has photos, PDFs, documents in the clouds that you can or your trusted friends and family can access from anywhere.

If you subscribe, you can also use MobileMe mail. Before the iOS update you had to use MobileMe to find and locate your iPad. Apple has now made that as a free service through MobileMe. Here is a link to MobileMe information:

Apple - MobileMe - Your iPhone, iPad, Mac, and PC. In perfect sync.

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, you can't read and play directly from the sd card. Also since the update there are sometimes burps that don't let you transfer files. Like the card has to have DCIM folder and the files need to be named like a camera names them... before the update it was less restrictive.

modojojo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, you can't read and play directly from the sd card. Also since the update there are sometimes burps that don't let you transfer files. Like the card has to have DCIM folder and the files need to be named like a camera names them... before the update it was less restrictive.

You can read files directly off the usb/sd camera kit reader on 4.2.1 without a DCIM folder on the card If you JB your pad and use ifile. MP4 files play directly off the drive/card. I haven't tried PDF's and pics but I heard they work also.

Most reactions

Latest posts