What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Questions about camera kit, USB, and power

vbriggs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all. I bought the USB accessory that allows you to plug USB devices into my iPad 1, so that I could plug in a card reader and transfer pics from my camera. My camera is a Sony, so the card reader accessory won't fit the card. It worked perfectly until one of the iOS upgrades, which lowered the power allowed to the port, and now no longer works unless I use an AC powered USB hub. This kind of defeats the purpose of trying to travel without a zillion accessories.

Today I noticed the is an accessory called A USB switching power adapter. Is anyone familiar with this accessory? I believe it is made to allow low powered USB on pcs to charge the iPad. I have the following questions about this accessory.

1. Is that the point of the product? So that if my pc's USB port will not charge my iPad, with this item it will?
2. More importantly, will it fix the problem I am having with the iPads USB output, so that if I use this, I could just plug my non-powered card reader into it, and it will work, power the reader, and allow me to transfer pics?
3. Will it work with every other product that I am now unable to use with the USB adapter because there is not enough power (keyboard specifically).
4. If not, is there any other way to get these items to work? I noticed there is now a newer 5-in-1 camera kit that offers more ports. I don't know anything about that product, but perhaps that is what I need to get my USB card reader enough power from the iPad?

Thanks!!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For sure, at present, the USB camera connection kit is limited to 10mA as compared to a 'normal' USB PC port of 300mA. Nothing you can do will change this. As you suggest, it was part of the iOS change made recently and was done to conserve power and extend the battery life of the iPad - one of its major selling points. If Apple allowed the iPad to supply up to 300mA to external devices that much-loved 10 hour battery life would be decimated.

As you know, the charger supplied with the iPad provides 2.1A to charge the iPad. A normal or even enhanced USB port of a PC simply cannot supply that current though, as you suggest, there are enhancements that mitigate the situation somewhat. But you'll never be able to get a PC to provide 2.1A through its USB port; the internal circuitry simply wasn't designed with that in mind.

Tim

OP
V

vbriggs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm really surprised no one here has answered my questions. I usually get such good feedback here. I guess no one here has much experience with this. Thanks anyway. :)

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm really surprised no one here has answered my questions. I usually get such good feedback here. I guess no one here has much experience with this. Thanks anyway. :)

Actually, I thought Tim just provided you with a great deal of insight on the issues you raised. It's just asking too much to think that someone with the exact accessory you have in mind will see your posting immediately. And maybe nobody will.

But I suggest that you have a bit more patience. Wait for several days and keep checking. Maybe someone with exactly the info you need will happen along, see your posting, and respond. If not, just wait a week or so and ask again---or bump this thread up in the queue.

I have found that the vast majority of folks on this forum are very willing to help, and I would still be hopelessly lost without them.

Patience, Grasshopper!

Last edited:
OP
V

vbriggs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh, I'm sorry if I seemed impatient. I posted the original question almost two weeks ago, and thought that was a while. I will of course, keep waiting. Thank you.

Most reactions

Latest posts