What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad vs iPhone 3G power adapter

digitalbits6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Like most of you, I travel with an iPhone 3G a/c adapter (updated for the iPhone 3G) and backwardly compatible with older iPods. The iPad 10W adapter says its only compatible with the iPad, doesn't mention iPhone. The big question is whether the iPhone 3G/3GS power adapters will support iPads? I have a car charger in each car, a 4 AA Battery pack to keep my iPhone on 3G all day and a USB cable to sync to iTunes.

From what I've read, only the USB cable to the computer will charge the iPad for sure. I'm not sure about compatibility with other iPhone 3G power adapters. It would sure be nice to use some of the new power adapters I had to get to support my iPhone 3G.

The replacement iPhone 3G ultra compact USB a/c adapter says .15Amps. I wonder if this is large enough to support the iPad 25W hr battery charging? I would doubt it. Anyone know more on this subject?

OP
D

digitalbits6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Answer:compatibility between iPhone vs iPad a/c adapters

The iPhone 3G replacement is little 1" square adapter with the green dot (replaced version). The new iPad a/c adapter 1 3/4" x 1 3/4" x 1" (or about 1/4 size of MacBook Pro bigger square adapter) says:

Specs
iPhone 3G: Input 100-240V and 0.15amp, Output 5.0V and 1.0 amp

iPad: Input 100 - 240V and 0.45 amp, Output 5.1V and 2.1 amp

Results: iPhone 3G charges iPad
iPad charger charges iPad faster, also charges iPhone 3G

All my 3rd party chargers for iPhone 3G DO NOT work on iPad. Neither does my (4) AA Battery pack portable charger for iPhone 3G

Most reactions

Latest posts