What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UPS Exception Just Posted?!?!

iWags

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone else seen this?
UPS is now showing "EXCEPTION"
Hope there are no issues!!!

Screenshot2010-03-30at122442PM.png

Screenshot2010-03-30at122834PM.png

19hole

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Probably all of the bad weather in the eastern US has caused a lot of delays in the UPS system.

kilofox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got an exception as well. Notice that it shows UPS INTERNAL ACTIVITY from Louisville, KY. Mine shows the same.

Maybe a customs thing?

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
GUANGZHOU, CN 03/30/20109:49 P.M.EXPORT SCAN 03/30/20109:45 P.M.ORIGIN SCAN SHENZHEN, CN 03/29/20104:36 P.M.ORIGIN SCAN

This is what I have on my tracking info from UPS, no exceptions yet

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
GUANGZHOU, CN 03/30/20109:49 P.M.EXPORT SCAN

03/30/20109:45 P.M.ORIGIN SCAN

SHENZHEN, CN 03/29/20104:36 P.M.ORIGIN SCAN

Try it again

HX_Guy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is probably because Apple asked them to hold the shipments until Saturday (or Monday). If Apple had not asked them to do that, they would probably already start delivering as soon as today or tomorrow.

kilofox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is probably because Apple asked them to hold the shipments until Saturday (or Monday). If Apple had not asked them to do that, they would probably already start delivering as soon as today or tomorrow.

I think you are right HX .... it would be nice if someone in Louisville messed up eh? :D

LMControl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is the latest exception listed on my tracking number....

"SHIPMENT IS HELD TO VERIFY COMMODITY DESCRIPTION WITH THE CUSTOMER FOR CORRECT CLASSIFICATION"

Having formerly worked with UPS, this simply looks like a delay created for the special delivery instructions by the customer, that being Apple, not you. Remember Apple is considered the customer since they are the ones who solicited UPS for services. You (and I) are called the consignee.

If all these iPads are in Kentucky and then subsequently put into the UPS system for distribution, it would not matter when Apple requested delivery, they would start showing up on tomorrow, Thursday, etc.... Looks like UPS is timing the release of the shipments into their system so they'll show up on 4/3, especially with the chosen level of service. This is how they do it. Local centers rarely get involved in holding packages, their goal is to clean out the delivery centers and trucks ASAP.

For better or worse, the UPS delivery system is a machine where packages in motion tend to stay that way unless otherwise altered. Think of it as a living animal with one purpose.... deliver packages!

buyrihn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That sucks that you have an exception. Judging from the response here, I don't think it's happening to everyone... which is odd. LMControl suggested that it's a delay crafted by Apple—does that mean that you would normally receive packages sent from China quicker than others? Where in the country are you? I live in Southern California, and I have no such exception on mine:

GUANGZHOU, CN 03/30/2010 7:10 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
SHENZHEN, CN 03/29/2010 6:43 A.M. ORIGIN SCAN
CN 03/29/2010 3:50 A.M. BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

OP
I

iWags

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks LMControl!

Just looked again and it says....
LOUISVILLE, KY, US 03/30/2010 1:27 P.M. SHIPMENT IS HELD TO VERIFY COMMODITY DESCRIPTION WITH THE CUSTOMER FOR CORRECT CLASSIFICATION

I think I remember something like this when I was anxiously following my iPhone 3Gs shipment...I feel a little more at ease now!

TheBaron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Phew!! I just checked my order status and saw EXCEPTION and that it's currently in LOUISVILLE, KY as well. My immediate thought was that something happened to the package because the only explanation shown is "UPS INTERNAL ACTIVITY." Sounds kind of bad.
Glad I came here and found others are having the same thing. It definitely sounds like Apple is having UPS hold onto the packages so they can deliver them all at the predetermined date.

LMControl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep, this is the best way to do it. Relying on UPS's good faith to not deliver packages early isn't substantial enough for Apple. By delaying the customs clearance, where UPS could be assessed penalties if they were to deliver a non-cleared package, Apple ensures they get their way.

Wouldn't surprise me if they hang out in Kentucky for a day or two.

fishguy2019

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looks like there is progress. Mine tracking info now contains this information:

LOUISVILLE, KY, US 03/30/2010 4:29 P.M.

BROKERAGE RELEASED SHIPMENT. SHIPMENT IS SUBMITTED TO CLEARING AGENCY FOR FURTHER CLEARANCE

Most reactions

Latest posts