What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uploading from camera

Ronaldo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello -
Before I attempt to do this, and most likely screw it up, I wanted to get some tips on uploading images on my DSLR camera to my iPad.
I should tell you that I shoot in Raw format.
Will it be a piece of cake? Oh, I do have the camera connection kit.
Thanks loads.

Reaction score
The CCK is probably your best option. You probably have a USB cable that came with your camera. Just plug it in to the CCK, and off you go.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello -
Before I attempt to do this, and most likely screw it up, I wanted to get some tips on uploading images on my DSLR camera to my iPad.
I should tell you that I shoot in Raw format.
Will it be a piece of cake? Oh, I do have the camera connection kit.
Thanks loads.

Hi Ronaldo - welcome to the forum! :)

Agree w/ the previous poster, i.e. just give the CCK a try either w/ your camera cabled directly or by using the SD card adapter (which I do) - keep in mind that you will be asked to 'keep' or 'delete' the images from the camera - be careful since you will lose a backup file on the camera, if needed.

Now I don't use RAW images and there are some limitations, e.g. check this Apple Support Article for more details - you might want to look further into this issue and what your editing options (if that is one of your goals) are on the iPad - good luck!

dhevans_6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi ronaldo,

I do this all the time, I shoot raw on a Nikon d700, an Olympus e-p3 and occasionally on my old Nikon d40. For the first I use an ancient belkin 15 in 1 reader & the USB adaptor, it only works as the CF slot is the first slot on the reader. The other two take SD cards so I just use the SD reader.
Assuming your camera is supported you will be able to view the RAW photos in the photo app.

You can then import these photos into lightroom just as if you had plugged your camera in (I posted elsewhere that you need to take a photo on the iPad to get it to setup the folder structure for windows to see it). The intermediate step is great to delete the obvious duds. I personally import then leave them on the memory card til they're on the computer, so if I accidentally delete one on the iPad it's still on the card.

Following on, if you want to do some quick editing there are some great non destructive editing apps out there, I've got photogene, snap seed and plumped for photosmith fairly recently so now when I do portraits for people they can rate the photos they like and these stars are taken into the Lightroom import.

Most reactions