What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Loading photos on to New iPad.

azonie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have a New iPad and getting the camera kits with connectors do we can load photos from camera and computer on to iPad.
Any suggestions on best way? Do I need app for that? I have high resolution DSLR and don't want to put on iPad in the 20MB or larger size. But want them to be very crisp. Any suggestions on how to transfer and reduce size?

tiffy83

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You don't need an app to get the pics onto your iPad with the camera connection kit. Once you plug the device in and either your SD card or camera is connected after a few secs the iPad will automatically open photos and display all your pics on the camera/SD card.

As far as an app that will reduce the size of the photo I think you can use photogene for that. Now 100% sure because I haven't used that app in a while, but I think it will change the size of the pic.

MikeMoss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

I'm new to iPad as well.

One thing that I was happy to find was that I can just plug my iPad into my computer's USB Port and look at it in Windows Explorer. The first time you will get the loading software message.

It shows up there as a Hard Drive just like a camera would and you can copy and paste image and video files back and forth with no problems, so you can re-size them rotate them or whatever in Windows before you transfer them, if you want to.

You can also transfer the images from the iPad to your computer, run them through Photoshop, or your video through a video editor and then move then back to the iPad.

That's most of what I've figured out to far but it's a big help for what I want to do with it.

I'm looking forward to shooting video that I will then transfer to my computer and edit in Adobe Premiere, add sound and narration and them save online.

Then I can link to them on the iPad and play them on it without storing the files there. They are too big to store a lot of them on the pad!

I've done a few tests and it works great, the video from the iPad is very good.

I'm researching tripod mounts and auxiliary lenses now.

Mike

Last edited:
OP
A

azonie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The JPEG card on my DSLR has very high resolution JPEG images.
DSLR has 2 cards. I shoot everything in RAW. Using SD card for JPEGs and expect only use of JPEGS will be to put on iPad.

Question is which MB size should I go for to use on iPad. Don't want to take up anymore space than needed but want enough resolution so if I want to send to print I will get very sharp print.

iRay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DSLR has 2 cards. I shoot everything in RAW. Using SD card for JPEGs and expect only use of JPEGS will be to put on iPad.

Question is which MB size should I go for to use on iPad. Don't want to take up anymore space than needed but want enough resolution so if I want to send to print I will get very sharp print.

I've found that 1024x768 works fine for me and doesn't take up much space.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Test this yourself. What does it take to get the very sharp print that you like?

MikeMoss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

In theory the same image size as the display will give you the best results.

2048×1536 but you probably won't see the difference unless you start zooming in on the images.

This will give you an image of about 9 megabytes each when open, and 1.36 megabytes when compressed as a jpg.
Or 100 images will take 136 megabytes, not too bad really.

This has the advantage of not degrading the image quality should you want to use if for something else or crop it later.

Mike

OP
A

azonie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi

In theory the same image size as the display will give you the best results.

2048×1536 but you probably won't see the difference unless you start zooming in on the images.

This will give you an image of about 9 megabytes each when open, and 1.36 megabytes when compressed as a jpg.
Or 100 images will take 136 megabytes, not too bad really.

This has the advantage of not degrading the image quality should you want to use if for something else or crop it later.

Mike

Mike, question for you. I am really struggling with how to add photos to iPad. Example in my DSLR I shoot on CF card in Raw and then on SD in JPEG.

Point was to try and get JPEG's proper size to put on iPad. Well I load a few from SD card and when opened in iPhoto they ranged from 4.5 to just over 6 MB. Tried a 6MB image from card to iPad. But if I email from iPad to iPhone and save it is something like 1.8 MB. and then saved to iPad from photo stream. Compared image quality of the 6MB vs the 1.8MB on iPad and they look same.

What is best way to save them on iPad and take up a little space as possible?

Also you made this statement "This will give you an image of about 9 megabytes each when open, and 1.36 megabytes when compressed as a jpg". Can you explain what you mean here? How much space is it taking up on your iPad 9 or 1.36MB? and how are you putting images on iPad. I have the camera kit and use that to take from SD card.

I only have 213 photos and 74 apps and have 22.3GB available of total of 28GB.

Last edited:
OP
A

azonie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I do photo editing in Lightroom on PC do could do that. What size do you suggest to max resolution on iPad but still save space.

Ageace

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do photo editing in Lightroom on PC do could do that. What size do you suggest to max resolution on iPad but still save space.

If you use Lightroom then you can convert your images to jpeg (or change size). There is an option to export or convert, and you will have some choices such as format,size, folder etc. Simply choose 2048 for the longest edge. This will give you reasonable size jpegs that maximise the iPads resolution. I do this and it's perfect and creates images smaller than 2mb generally. You can also use the slider to vary the compression - again I use the maximum (12 from memory) although 9 or 10 is virtually indistinguishable.

If you want to zoom in to your pictures on the iPad and still retain full quality on the zoom then you might want to convert your pictures with a larger long edge. I don't bother.

Based on your quantity of images you will have little storage problems with this solution.

MikeMoss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

When I'm referring to 2 different file sizes I'm talking about the uncompressed and compressed file sizes.

If I open an image in Photoshop it will indicate it's real uncompressed size.

If I was to save the image as as a raw or in any uncompressed size that's what the files size would be, and that's the amount of space it's using when you view it.

However when I save the image as a .jpg the actual amount of space it uses when stored is much smaller.
How small depends on the quality of the compression you chose.

I always save the images at the highest quality setting.
They will still be much smaller then the uncompressed size.

As a graphic designer I don't save the images I use in any compressed format, (I don't want to degrade the quality in any way) but if I was going to I would save them as compressed .tiff files which are said to not degrade the image quality at all.

I actually save all my commercial images on my computer as uncompressed .tiff files.

For the iPad I use compressed jpeg images.

Images direct from my Nikon are just over 27 gigabytes each, so I reduce them to 2048 by 1536 in Photo shop and then save them as .Jpg files.

I move them to my iPad through Windows Explorer.

This gives me an image that's 9 megabytes in size uncompressed, or 1.5 megabytes with high quality compression.
They would be only 108 Kilobytes using maximum compression, but at maximum compression there is a noticeable degradation in image quality.

Anyway the idea is that you can store images compressed at high quality .jpg compression on the iPad at full iPad resolution (2048 by 1536) at about 1.5 megabytes each and still have a very good looking image that you can zoom in on with out it looking too fuzzy.

Or about 680 images per gigabyte.

You can experiment with the compression quality (when you save them it will give you an options window) and you may find that you can use less then the highest quality compression and get something you find usable and be able to have even smaller files. I've never taken the time to do that.

Mike

Last edited:
OP
A

azonie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So if I understand what you are saying if in Lightroom I export JPEG to SD card in size you state about 2048x1356 image should take up about 1.5 MB on iPad ?

Still trying to understand process. But I took some on SD from camera and come in around 6 MB. Didn't want to take up that much room on iPad so emailed image to myself and the same to IPad from email and it went down to about 1.5 MB. Does that make any sense??

MikeMoss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

Yes even though the file is really about 6 megabytes on you SD card once it is stored either in Windows or on your iPad as a compressed .jpg, it will show as 1.5 megabytes when you view it's properties and that's the amount of space it takes to store it.

When you e-mailed it, the file you saw was the compressed image file, and 1.5 is what it should be at 2048 x 1356.

If you shot the original images in .jpg high quality in your camera they would probably be no bigger 1.3 mb on your SD card.

I don't remember what your native resolution was I'm guessing something like 1920 x 1080.
That's what Photoshop shows as being about 6 mb.

If you wan't to check it out size 10 images to 2048 x 1356 and save them all to the same folder as high quality .jpg files.
Then look at the properties of the folder, it should say that the folder is about 15 mb.

So 100 images will take 1,500 megabytes or 1.46 gigabytes.
Or in 15 gigabytes you can store about 1,000 images.

Mike

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MikeMoss said:
Images direct from my Nikon are just over 27 gigabytes each, so I reduce them to 2048 by 1536 in Photo shop and then save them as .Jpg files.

I never do any raw files, but are they really this big? Wouldn't it take forever to save / move files this large? And would you not need a really big card to do anything useful? This must make the workflow drag.

MikeMoss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

Not on my computer, I sometimes work with commercial images that are 100 mb or more.

It isn't just because they are .Raw files, any uncompressed images the size that the Nikon produces i.e. a .tiff file, would be the same size.

It's just a matter of the resolution of the image to start with.
The Nikon's are about 3800 by 2900 pixels or about 28 megabytes.

On my computer these open almost instantly.

I do 3D animation on my computer at full HD.

I process as many as 3,600 full HD images, (frames) in a about 10 minutes.
That isn't just copying them, it is creating them one frame at a time from a whole scene of moving 3D objects and animated characters.

So a few large images aren't a big deal. LOL

Mike

Most reactions

Latest posts