What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transferring Photos from Camera Problems

ubeauty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have a Canon EOS 40D DSLR. It uses Compact Flash cards for storage, not SD cards. I have the camera connection kit. A few weeks ago I successfully transferred a number of RAW image files from the camera to the Photos app as a test.

Then I installed the new iPhoto app. Since then I have been unable to copy photos from camera. I connect the camera, turn it on and the Photos app opens as it should. The Camera tab appears and images start to download. Then the Camera tab drops out and new images disappear.

I tried uninstalling iPhoto's and then deleting all images from Photos and tried again. Same thing happens.

Does anyone know what the problem might be?

charliko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there not an option to not erase the photos from the compact flash card when downloading to the iPad?

-Charlie

drb_52

iPF Novice
Reaction score
First, what iPad operating system are you using? If not the latest, you may want to consider updating to the latest (ios 5.1). Look in settings then about and it will list your version
You could also have a bad cable or bad usb adapter or connector in the camera or iPad. Have you tried a different cord or used the usb adapter with other cameras?
You may want to consider using a powered hub with a card reader or a powered card reader instead of connecting the camera.
I have a 50D which also uses the cf cards. I never connect the camera to the iPad or a computer. I used to use a cf card reader along with a powered hub and it worked fine. I switched to using a powered card reader. It also works fine.

OP
U

ubeauty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thaks for the reply drb_52. I do have the latest os and I usually use a card reader to transfer images to a computer. I have recently acquired my iPad and want to use it to view and store images when away from home. I am sure that it worked on a trial run before i installed iPhoto. I feel it is probably a software problem. Is there a way of uninstalling the Photos app and reinstalling it?

drb_52

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sure. Hold your finger on the app icon until it starts to shake. Then touch the x in the upper left corner of the app.
To reinstall, just go to the app store, log in and select it again. There should be no additional cost.
Good luck -hope it works for you.

Last edited:
OP
U

ubeauty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you sure about that? I can uninstall purchased apps but not the default ones like Photos.

michali

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not sure if you want to uninstall the Photos app or iPhoto. They are different. The native photo app cannot be uninstalled but iPhoto can. Maybe try resetting your iPad too? I have iPhoto installed and have no problem importing photos from my camera since its installation.

OP
U

ubeauty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Michali and thanks. Have already un-installed iPhoto. Its the native photo app I now want to remove. Didn't think there was any way to do it. I'll try using a card reader with powered hub as drb_52 suggested. If that doesn't work I'll try resetting (scares me a bit).

drb_52

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sorry, thought you were talking about iphoto.
Have you tried closing all the open apps and restarting the iPad? If that doesn't help, try holding down the home button and power button together. Ignore the shutdown slider - keep holding the buttons until the iPad resets, when the apple logo appears let go of the buttons. The iPad will start up.

OP
U

ubeauty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think I've worked it out. Must have something to do with state of charge of the camera battery. Have three batteries, all a bit old now but still working well in the camera. When the transfer from camera worked I must have have a freshly charged battery in the camera. On subsequent tries the battery was not so fresh. It started to work and then died.

Tried a card reader via powered hub and it worked first time. Will look for a powered card reader now.

Thanks for the help everyone.

OP
U

ubeauty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can you suggest a powered card reader. After searching the web I'm a bit confused.

drb_52

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Most reactions

Latest posts